• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I use a little brasso with cobbs to clean then straight cobbs to shine.

Brasso has ammonia in it. Ammonia is very bad for brass. It reacts with the copper in brass (which is an alloy of copper and zinc) and makes it brittle.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    WHY would anyone want to wax their brass, why would anyone oil or grease their ammo? Have you people heard of bolt thrust and the fact the cartridge case was designed to grip the chamber walls when fired.

Why don't we put whale snot on our cartridge cases?

Or use common sense and just clean it with 0000 steel wool if your doing it by hand.

NATO proof pressure testing of small arms requires that a oiled proof test round be fired. If the rifle has excessive bolt set back (increased headspace) the rifle fails proof testing. This oiled proof pressure test cartridge simulates combat conditions and doubles the bolt thrust on the bolt and receiver.

dontlube.jpg

lyman-1a.jpg

boltthrust.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    WHY would anyone want to wax their brass, why would anyone oil or grease their ammo? Have you people heard of bolt thrust and the fact the cartridge case was designed to grip the chamber walls when fired.

Why don't we put whale snot on our cartridge cases?

Or use common sense and just clean it with 0000 steel wool if your doing it by hand.

NATO proof pressure testing of small arms requires that a oiled proof test round be fired. If the rifle has excessive bolt set back (increased headspace) the rifle fails proof testing. This oiled proof pressure test cartridge simulates combat conditions and doubles the bolt thrust on the bolt and receiver.

dontlube.jpg

lyman-1a.jpg

boltthrust.jpg

Lighten up , I along with probably thousands of others add nu-finish or other liquid wax to our media and have done so for years.
    When you buy media you can get it treated, whats the difference between buying it that way or adding your own?
    I don't recall ever hearing about someones gun blowing up because they added wax to their media.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Lighten up , I along with probably thousands of others add nu-finish or other liquid wax to our media and have done so for years.
    When you buy media you can get it treated, whats the difference between buying it that way or adding your own?
    I don't recall ever hearing about someones gun blowing up because they added wax to their media.

Media that is treated isn't treated with wax and just because everybody does it doesn't make it right, or safe... Please show me anywhere, published, that recommends using wax on loaded ammuntion... My neighbor's cousin's brother's sister's husband says so don't count...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Show me where it says not to use wax, All I've ever seen and agree with is NO OIL, or SIZING LUBE.
    Have you ever seen brass that was cleaned with nu-finish? I bet you can't tell the difference between it and brand new treated media.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I think the idea behind no oil is no lubrication, wax lubricates, I'd be willing to bet money that you are increasing bolt thrust using it, just my 2 cents. Guess I just never figured out the need for looks better than new polished brass myself, clean is good enough.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Polishing and/or rubbing compound is not wax.
    I've never met anyone who actually added wax to their media, unless they were home brewing moly coated bullets.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been using liquid Flitz for years. It also has a lot of other uses. It works very well on my wife's silver tea set.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Polish is an abrasive to clean microscopic particles. Wax (natural or silicone) is a protective coating that seals whatever it's applied to and prevents oxidizers and other impurities from coming in contact with the protected surface. It gets confusing because most car waxes have some polishing grit in them, but it is really polish and wax bonded together. In pure form, wax and polish are two seperate products.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Show me where it says not to use wax, All I've ever seen and agree with is NO OIL, or SIZING LUBE.
    Have you ever seen brass that was cleaned with nu-finish? I bet you can't tell the difference between it and brand new treated media.

I have a better idea, show me official printed documentation from the firearms industry, the ammunition manufactures and reloading companies that tell you to put "ANYTHING" on your brass cartridge cases.

What happens when repeated firing of your waxed ammo transfers wax to the chamber walls of your rifle at 50,000 cup.

Question: What were Tarzans last words.............

Answer: Who greased the viiiiiiiine?

Brass Cleaning with Stainless Media

Brass Cleaning with Stainless Media within AccurateShooter.com

Last edited:
    Top Bottom