• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Have seen more turtles on the roads this year than in my past 38yrs combined! Not sure if it's because of all the rain or what? Anyone else noticing the same?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    earl-burn-victim-joy-darnell.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Haven't seen alot of snakes but that doesn't break my heart. I agree with the rest that stop and move them out of the road, thought I was the only one who actually did this..lol

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    We saw one crossing IN rt 11 a couple of days ago. Wife insisted I stop and let her go do the 'help cross the road' Boy scout Service thing. She got out as the turtle reached the center-line of the two lane road... before she could make a move towards the turtle, an SUV passed going the opposite direction, clipped the edge of the shell of the turtle shooting it sideways back in the direction it was coming from...It landed 20 feet or so into a bean field beside the road. SUV did not stop. After about two minutes, wife saw the turtle heading back for the road, ready to give it another shot, and apparently none the worse for his first slingshot ride. She carried it across the road and we left.

She smiled about the experience a bit later. end of story.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Snappers and painted turtles don't even cause me to slow down. In my lane, they get introduced to 9 out of 18 wheels. Box turtles, I've saved a bunch of. Never seen a softshell on the road.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I saw one crossing the highway this afternoon afterwork. I straddled it and the truck behind me smashed it. I felt bad. No way I could safely stop on the highway to help it.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    "Be sure to wash your hands after handling a wild turtle. They may be carrying salmonella and/or other nastys. "

Thanks mom

Just kidding

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Haven't moved any off the road, but my GSD decided to make a box turtle it's buddy for the day and bring it back to the house (unharmed). It was ridiculously hot and I had a spray bottle filled with water for plants so I sprayed water mist on it and it slowly stuck its head out all the way enjoying the cool water. I took it down by the creek and let it go. Haven't seen it since.

Top Bottom