• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    I have seen a lot of pictures of bolt action rifles where the bolt looks like it is twisted, or fluted or something like that. Mostly on custom guns I think.

Can bolts like that be had for any regular gun as well? Is it just for looks or is there some other advantage?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    He is referring to a fluted bolt...many makers do them and many will flute your bolt if you want it done.

bolt2.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Walled Lake, MI
    I remember seeing on the Military Channel that they fluted the bolt on sniper rifles for arctic warfare. The fluting helps with the cycling the action in extreme cold weather as it breaks the ice build up. The military does not do anything for just cosmetic reasons unless it crome plated rifles for honor guard in parades or ceremonies.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    On a SA Rem 700 bolt the more aggressive fluting ("Ti style") shaves about 0.7 oz. On an LA about 1. Remington 700 Ti bolts came that way from the factory as do many custom actions. Less aggressive fluting saves less weight, though I don't have actual figures because I don't have any bolts so fluted.

It supposedly aids bolt cycling but I have never had an unfluted bolt lock up due to debris. And I've had stuff get into my bolt channel a few time. Have also heard that it helps to distribute lubrication, but I don't lube bolt bodies either.

Many smiths will flute a bolt. Heres a pic of a Karl Kampfeld fluted (and webbed) bolt on a 7:

IMG_1760.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Ah, gotcha. So, fluting will not weaken the bolt? I assume it is only deep enough to be decorative. How much weight could really be removed?

It necessarily weakens the bolt in absolute terms, because it removes material. Done properly it doesn't weaken it in any practical way though.

On a 700 the handle will come off long before even a fluted bolt body will twist in half. The lugs take the brunt of recoil and the only point where the body is stressed is in opening, feeding a cartridge, and closing. Unless you blow a primer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Most bolts really do not depend on the bolt body for action strength anyway, All the force of the shot is held by the lugs that are either at the front of the action like on a Winchester or Remington, or in the barrel extension like and AR. There may have been others, but the first production rifle I saw with turn flute bolts were Lazzeroni customs. They were too far out of my price, so I just stayed with making rows machine turned circles with a drill press, nylon dowels and valve lapping compound.

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    On a SA Rem 700 bolt the more aggressive fluting ("Ti style") shaves about 0.7 oz. On an LA about 1. Remington 700 Ti bolts came that way from the factory as do many custom actions. Less aggressive fluting saves less weight, though I don't have actual figures because I don't have any bolts so fluted.

It supposedly aids bolt cycling but I have never had an unfluted bolt lock up due to debris. And I've had stuff get into my bolt channel a few time. Have also heard that it helps to distribute lubrication, but I don't lube bolt bodies either.

Many smiths will flute a bolt. Heres a pic of a Karl Kampfeld fluted (and webbed) bolt on a 7:

IMG_1760.jpg

That looks exactly like what I have seen, where the fluted out area is most of the bolt and the high spots are very narrow.

It looks cool but guess it doesn't save a lot of weight. Do those weights include the parts of the handle that are cut out?

Also, is that a carbon fiber stock? Some kind of ultralight Remington 700?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The weights are for fluting only. Webbing the handle knocks off another ounce. "A lot" is subjective and on a long enough hike you feel every ounce. It also makes a difference in balance, and this rifle has an extremely light contour 20" barrel.

The rifle is a 7, rather than a 700, and the stock is an unpainted McMillan Hunters Edge. The blue in front of the safety lever is the bondo they use to fill voids.

Top Bottom