• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Thanks for the explanation, Sir. I was hoping my question didn't sound too snarky or naive, considering I mentioned Live PD. If you've watched it, do you have any general thoughts on it, like how real it is, or staged? It's pretty interesting for us civilians, even if we only get a glimpse of what it's really like.

You're welcome, and I didn't take it as snarky or naive, this is an area of law that a lot of people, fortunately, never have to get involved in. I was concerned that my explanation wasn't up to snuff; I'm on vacation in FL and suffering a summer cold. Fortunately, most people never get themselves into this kind of situation. Also, unfortunately, there are a tiny handful of the cops who don't understand the law, whether through a lack of knowledge or training or a willful ignorance.

I've never seen Live PD, so I can't speak to it. But Cops seems pretty straightforward, but the handful of interesting or exciting moments they capture on film are the distillation of hundreds of hours of riding around with officers, documenting all kinds of boring stuff just to get that tiny tip of the iceberg of what is interesting (or sometimes downright terrifying). Most police work, especially uniformed patrol officers, is being available and waiting for something bad to happen.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You're welcome, and I didn't take it as snarky or naive, this is an area of law that a lot of people, fortunately, never have to get involved in. I was concerned that my explanation wasn't up to snuff; I'm on vacation in FL and suffering a summer cold. Fortunately, most people never get themselves into this kind of situation. Also, unfortunately, there are a tiny handful of the cops who don't understand the law, whether through a lack of knowledge or training or a willful ignorance.

I've never seen Live PD, so I can't speak to it. But Cops seems pretty straightforward, but the handful of interesting or exciting moments they capture on film are the distillation of hundreds of hours of riding around with officers, documenting all kinds of boring stuff just to get that tiny tip of the iceberg of what is interesting (or sometimes downright terrifying). Most police work, especially uniformed patrol officers, is being available and waiting for something bad to happen.

I always figured "Cops" was kind of like those half hour fishing shows. It looks like they're catching fish on almost every cast but in reality it's a full day condensed down into 30 minutes (less if you figure in commercial breaks).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I have to agree. I've never had a summer cold while on vacation in Florida. It's pretty easy to avoid (don't go on vacation in Florida and then get sick).

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I have to agree. I've never had a summer cold while on vacation in Florida. It's pretty easy to avoid (don't go on vacation in Florida and then get sick).

You see, your highlighting part of my writing proves how off my game I am!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I always figured "Cops" was kind of like those half hour fishing shows. It looks like they're catching fish on almost every cast but in reality it's a full day condensed down into 30 minutes (less if you figure in commercial breaks).

I'd always wondered how many hours of footage they filmed to get that 22 minutes of "live action" (a nod to Turtle Man, another contrived reality show). Also, I'm sure they went to where the action is. Metro-Dade County > Indianapolis PD > patrolling Montgomery County, Indiana at 0200 on a Tuesday night.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

One thing I like about Live PD is that they do show the cops interacting with the public in a positive way sometimes. Some of it is very funny, and sometimes the cops cut the people a break. It's pretty cool actually. I was watching one episode from last year, and the cop made the dude throw his pot on the ground. As the cop started to grind it into the dirt with his boot, the pot kid had something to say about it being irresponsible, in case little kids were to find it. I thought the cop was going to boot-stomp the kid, but he still let him off, and just ground it in even harder. Priceless.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Unfortunately, Mont. Co. has changed, and not for the better, in the last 25 years. :-(

It's better now that some of the Southmont riffraff has moved to Greenwood!

I'm saddened to hear that Montgomery County isn't as nice as it was, but I guess that is true of a lot of places. I enjoyed living and working there, but left in 1995 when I was promoted and moved to Morgan County.

Rhino: Hey now, Mrs. MarkC is a Greenwood gal, no dissing the Greenwood peeps!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm saddened to hear that Montgomery County isn't as nice as it was, but I guess that is true of a lot of places. I enjoyed living and working there, but left in 1995 when I was promoted and moved to Morgan County.

Rhino: Hey now, Mrs. MarkC is a Greenwood gal, no dissing the Greenwood peeps!

I wasn't! I was dissing an infamous graduate of Southmon HS who now resides in Greenwood! We have exported a noteworthy troublemaker to the city of Mrs. MarkC's birth.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I wasn't! I was dissing an infamous graduate of Southmon HS who now resides in Greenwood! We have exported a noteworthy troublemaker to the city of Mrs. MarkC's birth.

I might know the kid, if he was from long ago.... I actually wrote three tickets at three different times to the same Southmont young person, clearly he was a "slow learner." I remember this because it turns out he was the nephew of one of our dispatchers at the Putnamville Post.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I might know the kid, if he was from long ago.... I actually wrote three tickets at three different times to the same Southmont young person, clearly he was a "slow learner." I remember this because it turns out he was the nephew of one of our dispatchers at the Putnamville Post.

There are probably many who fit that discription!

I will not state the username of the one in question, but his initials are "Tactically Fat."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Doing a complete resto turn around on a car/truck in 1 hour. Same crap.

Top Bottom