• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed, "pit bull" is a generalization of many types of breeds. So yes, I would consider "I have an APBT" an acceptable answer to the question "What type of pit bull". As far as the colors, they are just that - color variation.

Yes.. but a Yorkie, or a Chihuahua is an example of a breed. A "pit bull" is not... so they do not even include the breed truthfully.

Some examples of dogs considered "pit bull type" dogs:
    American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Olde English Bulldogge

Dogs commonly confused with "pit bull type" dogs:
    Dogue De Bordeau, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Dogo Argentino, Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Patterdale Terrier, Alpana Espanol, Boerboel, Ca De Bou, Boxer

I am sure I am leaving some out, but off the top of my head I think that is a pretty good list.

To further complicate the matter, a great majority of "pit bull" dogs you would encounter are not even one breed - they are mixed breed dogs. Since people commonly confuse the dog breeds, owner X has a male APBT while owner Y has a female AST. They decide they want to breed their "pit bulls" - and the result is a litter of mixed breed dogs. These dogs may then be bred with someones half APBT half Boxer "pit bull" - resulting in a "pit bull" that is a mix of four breeds. While the general public will associate the phenotype of this dog with a "pit bull" - it would not be any true "pit bull" breed.

After years of confusion what you end up with is many mixed breed dogs, whose owners claim "since their mother and father were both pit bulls, they are both pit bulls". Eh, maybe.. but not really... if you mix multiple dog breeds, you have a mixed breed dog.

So if all these breed types are lumped together as "pit bulls" when any of them bite - obviously we are going to see a lot of "pit bull" attacks....

I was being completely satyrical for most of this thread because either the OP or the media seriously twisted this story from the get go..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I was being completely satyrical for most of this thread because either the OP or the media seriously twisted this story from the get go..

I caught the :D, I was just using your example to clarify.

I think most people do not understand how they are lumped together, and they hear "pit bull" and assume it is a breed of dog. Generally, the majority of the time the term is applied, it is a mixed breed dog.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    the only reason this is in the news is because they are "pit bulls". i guess my 2 are 2 in a million!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Do not be so quick to say that. Sooner or later, both of those dogs will rape and kill you.

Ticking time bombs I tell you.

Run and tell that homeboy
    run-and-tell-that-19658-1282228242-4.jpg

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I have a mutt, rescued from the side of the road that looks like she has some pit in her... And I can confirm, she is about the most vicious thing I've ever seen.

In fact, I would wager a guess that if our house was ever the target of a home invasion perpetrated by a rope with a knot at each end and a pair of socks, they would be torn to shreds before they got two feet!

Of course, if we were ever attacked by people, she would just hide behind daddy...

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed, "pit bull" is a generalization of many types of breeds. So yes, I would consider "I have an APBT" an acceptable answer to the question "What type of pit bull". As far as the colors, they are just that - color variation.

Yes.. but a Yorkie, or a Chihuahua is an example of a breed. A "pit bull" is not... so they do not even include the breed truthfully.

Some examples of breeds considered "pit bull type" dogs:
    American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Olde English Bulldogge, Am Bully

Dogs commonly confused with "pit bull type" dogs:
    Dogue De Bordeau, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, Dogo Argentino, Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Patterdale Terrier, Alpana Espanol, Boerboel, Ca De Bou, Boxer

I am sure I am leaving some out, but off the top of my head I think that is a pretty good list.

To further complicate the matter, a great majority of "pit bull" dogs you would encounter are not even one breed - they are mixed breed dogs. Since people commonly confuse the dog breeds, owner X has a male APBT while owner Y has a female AST. They decide they want to breed their "pit bulls" - and the result is a litter of mixed breed dogs. These dogs may then be bred with someones half APBT half Boxer "pit bull" - resulting in a "pit bull" that is a mix of four breeds. While the general public will associate the phenotype of this dog with a "pit bull" - it would not be any true "pit bull" breed.

After years of confusion what you end up with is many mixed breed dogs, whose owners claim "since their mother and father were both pit bulls, they are both pit bulls". Eh, maybe.. but not really... if you mix multiple dog breeds, you have a mixed breed dog.

So if all these breed types are lumped together as "pit bulls" when any of them bite - obviously we are going to see a lot of "pit bull" attacks....

I got called ignorant by Snowman in his other thread for calling them "pit bull type dogs". Watch out.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Every 21 days!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    No actually you got called ignorant because you classified hem all as pit bulls instead of proper terms I will thank you to no longer troll my thread as it was the question of legality of what the judge did never question of the dogs

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Every 21 days!

Sounds shocking, until you put it into perspective. An estimated 2,400,000 Americans die each year, give or take - likely more since the population has risen since the time of these statistics.

In this time frame (21 days) in the United States alone:
    25,027 people will die from tobacco
    21,000 people from poor diet and health
    4,890 people will die from alcohol
    4,321 people will die from microbial agents
    1,761 people will commit suicide
    1,153 people will die from "sexual behaviors"
    438 people will die from anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin
    1 person will die from a "pit bull type" dog attack

So, if you think about it, "sexual behaviors" are WAY more dangerous than dogs...

If you were to really want to get a clear picture, you could break the attacks down by breed of dog, and then compare them based upon the frequency of a given breed among the population. Obviously, dogsbite.org is against this type of statistical comparison....

Last edited:

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Sounds shocking, until you put it into perspective. An estimated 2,400,000 Americans die each year, give or take - likely more since the population has risen since the time of these statistics.

In this time frame (21 days) in the United States alone:
    25,027 people will die from tobacco
    21,000 people from poor diet and health
    4,890 people will die from alcohol
    4,321 people will die from microbial agents
    1,761 people will commit suicide
    1,153 people will die from "sexual behaviors"
    438 people will die from anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin
    1 person will die from a "pit bull type" dog attack

So, if you think about it, "sexual behaviors" are WAY more dangerous than dogs...

These statistics kind of beg the question: Are you more likely to be killed by a pit bull or a terrorist? Pit bull or a cop? If you're a pit bull, are you more likely to get killed by a terrorist or a cop?

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is a very interesting thread to me, as I am a pitbull owner and my family has raised them for many years. This "breed" of dog is very protective, and can easily be made into a bad animal from neglect and simple training. Now when it comes down to the breed of a pitbull people need to realize that a "pitbull" is not a AKC certified dog breed. Though it's family comes from two disting breed - Staffordshire Terrier an Bull Terriers. Most people recognize the Staffordshire as being the most common of pitbull breeds, and can easily get the two confused. Now when it comes down to the distinct kind of breeds of pitbulls there are many sub-breeds that can fall into - Blue Faun, American, Red Nose, Colby, Ridgeback, etc. These "breeds" are not determined by color, but like all other breeds by characteristics, such as jaw, skull, and general bone structure, as well as size. Look at many different Shepherd breeds, the looks very similar but small differences designates them as a different kind of shepherd, just like a pitbull.

Now I agree with alot of people on this thread that most pitbull owners don't know how to train and maintain their dogs. But this is nothing to do with the breed of dog, and fully to do with the handler of the dog.

I personally have meet more aggressive pitbulls than kind ones, due to people mishandling them. But the ones that are raised in good homes, and have a healthy lifestyle and are given plenty of love and care, you won't find a more loyal animal. I have owned my pitbull, which is a mix between and American and Colby, for 5 years and he has never once aggressively attacked another dog. He has caught rabbits in his fenced in yard, and he has protected my girlfriend once when a stray dog came running at them when they were on a walk. But this is what a dog should be for, protection of your family and loved ones, and also treated as a member of the family. If everyone treated their pitbulls as they would say a Labrador, there would not be this misconception that pitbulls are born evil and aggressive. No animal is born that way, PEOPLE make them that way and thats what I hope some people can understand.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    These statistics kind of beg the question: Are you more likely to be killed by a pit bull or a terrorist? Pit bull or a cop? If you're a pit bull, are you more likely to get killed by a terrorist or a cop?
    op0_plus.png
    1_shad.jpg

HAHAH I actually left out LEO and firearms related deaths purposely.

I think we have already compared the statistical relevance of these events in graphic detail.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I personally have meet more aggressive pitbulls than kind ones, due to people mishandling them. But the ones that are raised in good homes, and have a healthy lifestyle and are given plenty of love and care, you won't find a more loyal animal.... If everyone treated their pitbulls as they would say a Labrador, there would not be this misconception that pitbulls are born evil and aggressive. No animal is born that way, PEOPLE make them that way and thats what I hope some people can understand.

I couldn't agree more. My dog is from a breed that, while not prone to aggression, can very easily become aggressive. A breed characteristic is to be suspicious of strangers, bordering on standoffish. Any time we're outside of the apartment, she's on constant watch for ANYthing she feels threatened by. MY job is to manage HER and teach her what is an appropriate reaction to these "threats." Oh yeah, and there's not one drop of "pit bull" in her. Point is ANY breed can become aggressive if not handled properly.

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Its a shame they the dogs had to be well maybe not had to be but where killed. Here is an interesting thought though. many of you have said that "pit bulls," regardless of their specific breed, are dogs that are none the less protective animals of their home and family and friends. with that being said, when someone enters the home regardless of who they are whether its a police officer, fireman, burglar, whomever. they are uninvited. The dogs in question just happens to be pitbulls, but german shephards hell any dog can be raised to defend their home even if the good guys are there. They are just defending their family like they have been taught or they feel obligated to do. I dont know but its just a shame to me that this is the only outcome for the dog in the end when they are just acting on instinct

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No I am implying that these dogs very easily could be misidentified,

I agree. It's like firearms. Every one reported used in a crime is a AK. Unless it actually is, then it's a m-16:D
    pick the pit bull

If there is a more loving breed of dog, I haven't met one.

You never met the Rott I used to have. She was the sweetest dog I have ever known. Wanted to be pet by everyone. People when I had her out in the yard would cross the street because how she acted, she was just trying to get their attention so they would come over an play with her.

And I have to thank the two Gary PD that came to my door to talk to me one night for not shooting her. I answered the door and my pup came running up, both of them put their hands to their pistols, and asked nicely if I would move my dog back away from the door and step outside to talk. I told her to go lay down and she did, but when I turned my back to put on my shoes, I hear the screen door get hit by her.:eek: Next sound I expected to hear was gunshots. I raced to the door and she was sitting on the porch with them and one of them was scratching her ears.:D I honestly think the only reason she didn't get shot is because she was so quick they didn't have time.

It turned into a very nice conversation, it might of helped that one of them was a K-9 officer though. That and when they asked if I was going to be training her, I told them well I'm working on sit and stay but you see how well that is going. They responded almost in disbelief "just obedience training?" And I answered yep, she's just a family pet.

Oh and since the point was brought up else where one of the most gentle dogs was trained during the wars in england to attack men on horseback, the Irish Wolfhound. Yet the pit bull was used to maintain and protect livestock from predators..

Heck look at the Saint Bernard, at one time they were banned from AKC shows because of their aggressiveness. It is considered one of the best success stories in breeding how they changed the breed around. How often do you hear about an aggressive St. Bernard now?

Do not be so quick to say that. Sooner or later, both of those dogs will rape and kill you.

Ticking time bombs I tell you.

I've known a couple of pits, none of them were likely to rape you. A mix breed a friend of mine had well..... I'll just say I wouldn't turn my back on that dog.:n00b:

The most aggressive dog I have had the displeasure of meeting was a pekineses. Second was a newfoundland mix. That's the one that chewed me up a bit.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The meanest breed of dog I've ever come across, believe it or not, is a dalmatian. I know lots of people that have had unpleasant experiences with one of these kinds of dogs as a kid. Not so much as an adult. Always struck me as odd though that so many young people have issues with this breed of dog, but no one ever publicly acknowledges it

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    The meanest breed of dog I've ever come across, believe it or not, is a dalmatian. I know lots of people that have had unpleasant experiences with one of these kinds of dogs as a kid. Not so much as an adult. Always struck me as odd though that so many young people have issues with this breed of dog, but no one ever publicly acknowledges it

Actually have heard several stories and several theories most of them circling around them being so territorial they think the children are competition.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    i have had no problems with pit bulls now this is were the stereo type bull**** comes into play, i have friends who own some and they are more playful and energetic than my German Shepard dogs, but then u hear nothing but the people in the hood raising the dogs to be mean and fight other dogs, thats where the misconception comes into play. now for a dog being injured or cornered on a property thats a whole different story, i use to work for tru green and apply chemicals on peoples property and i would meet some angry dogs (and even got bit by a Maltese). but if there was a dog that was not in the yard attaching other dogs/people i would have no problem putting one in its head.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

Actually have heard several stories and several theories most of them circling around them being so territorial they think the children are competition.

Dalmatian's have been SO overbred since the 101 Dalmatian's craze without any regard to temperment, health, etc. Same thing that happened to Cocker's after Lady and the Tramp (which happened to come out at the same time as a Cocker won Westminster almost back to back). There will always be people who will exploit animals to make a fast buck.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Dalmatian's have been SO overbred since the 101 Dalmatian's craze without any regard to temperment, health, etc. Same thing that happened to Cocker's after Lady and the Tramp (which happened to come out at the same time as a Cocker won Westminster almost back to back). There will always be people who will exploit animals to make a fast buck.

even before that they acted liked strung out toy dogs anyway... that or my POS brother in law looking for his next fix.

Damn rampaging pitbull about licked me to death this morning.

Top Bottom