• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Let's say you had to buy two handguns and only had $1000 to spend. With that you have to buy a backup gun and a self defense/home defense pistol. The backup would be carried along with either the pistol you buy or your already EDC. Do you buy pistols that magazines are compatible or do you buy two very different handguns? Same caliber or different? Let's hear your opinions.

My thought is either a Glock 17/19 with a light and a Glock 26.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    MUST I have a "BUG"?

Because for only $1000... That's not enough.

Gun + mags + holster (or two) + belt (or two) + ammo + training... Easy to go WAY over $1000 investment on just one firearm.

Double your budget - makes it more real-world plausible IMO. :D

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Just the guns. You've put aside the money for the accessories, ammo, and training. You want a combo of reliable, accurate guns for under $1000. I'm curious what everyone's taste is. Or if you already have a self defense/home defense gun, you have $1000 for a backup.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Ruger P series handgun and Ruger SP101 revolver. I would prefer same caliber, but that's personal preference. May even have enough cash left over to buy a 10/22 if budgeted correctly, everyone needs a good .22.

Some might say I like Ruger a little bit.

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    If you are going for a good price and quality, I would definitely go with 2 glocks, depending on how they feel in your hand... if they aren't your thing I would recommend a sig 9mm and a S&W M&P 9mm. Use lowgrain hollow points to cut down on collateral damage and its still easier on your wallet when wanting to shoot it at the range.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    CZ75 and CZ75 Compact. You can get both in slightly used condition for about a Grand if you look around. Same controls, same CZ quality and the Compact can use the full size mags if needed.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    CZ75 and CZ75 Compact. You can get both in slightly used condition for about a Grand if you look around. Same controls, same CZ quality and the Compact can use the full size mags if needed.

I wish I could find both of those guns for $1000.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    For $1000?

I would probably buy a CZ P07 9mm as my EDC and then get a Taurus .357 for the BUG. I would probably still have over a $100 left for ammo and have two fine, reliable guns.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's not easy but it can be done. Within the last year I got a LNIB Compact for $450 and a 75B for $550. Might be different now with the current hysteria.

Well, a couple of months ago that would have been possible. Now that the genie is out of the bottle?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Smith and wesson m&p full size (or pro if you can find one) and a m&p shield

Or

Springer xdm competition and a xds

Or

Walther ppq and pps

That way you have a full size and iwb that are very similar.

Personally, I got a xdm competition and a m&p shield (waiting on a xds .40)for under $1k. Just have to find the right deal.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't carry a back up. My carry gun is a Glock 36. I am not a police person. If I carried a back up it would be a Ruger LCR 38 special +P full of 125 gr bullets or 148 gr wad cutters. Both will do some damage. You should be able to get the two guns for a grand.

If I thought I need a second gun I would want a shotgun or an AR.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    You will have a tough time right now finding 2 glocks for 1,000. If you gotta get two guns with the money I would probably also go Ruger. Maybe a SR9C and a 22 revolver for BUG. Whatever you choose Ruger are good guns for the money. If you wait until things calm down Glocks would be doable but if your like most I am guessing the sooner the better.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    In today's climate it wouldn't be as easy as a couple of months ago.

I suppose I would look for a used, double-stack 9mm like a Glock 17, M&P9, XDM or SP2022 for the primary. Considering the budget, if it were a couple of months ago, the first pick would have been a <$400 Sp2022. Again, considering budget, the "backup gun" or EDC would probably be a single stack 9 from as small as a CM9/Nano which can be had for <$400 or maybe a LC9/SR9C/Shield if pocket carry and "BUG" wasn't a necessity.

So:
    backup gun and a self defense/home defense pistol.
    CM9/Nano and SP2022. Considering budget and climate, you might squeak by.

However, this part confuses my simple, reptilian brain
    The backup would be carried along with either the pistol you buy or your already EDC.

My "already EDC?" You mean I can pick two guns along with one I already EDC? If so, then the choices change.

If you mean the "self defense/home defense pistol" is intended to be an EDC simultaneously, then that also changes the selection.

If the big gun is to be an EDC, then it just got smaller. Glock 19 or one of the somewhat smaller "compact" double stack nines.

If the small gun is really a BUG and both are intended for EDC, then the selection for my criteria means it must be pocket (holster) carried. Definitely no bigger than the CM9/Nano (or P290, which was my choice of the three.)

ETA:
    My thought is either a Glock 17/19 with a light and a Glock 26.
    You gonna EDC that 17/19 with the light or does the light only go onto the gun when it goes into the bedside safe? If EDC, than I would strongly consider a good, separate torch or not try carrying an integrated light on the pistol. My bedside Glock 17 has an attached light but there is also a good torch in that same bedside vault.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    For me, I chose a M&P9 (4.25 inch barrel), and a Beretta Nano (also chambered in 9mm). I have had the m&p9 for a while and absolutely love it, I don't have the nano yet still looking for one at $400 or less then I will jump on it. I like the 9mm and I decided to stick with that caliber for all my self defense handguns, its a proven round, with modern hollow points its very effective, and the mag will hold more 9mm than 40 or 45. I don't want to get into the old caliber debate, this is just my opinion, and what I chose.

Top Bottom