• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Nothing in the code pertains to what's going on. They shouldn't have been arrested. It doesn't say anything about accepting property from a private employer and shirking your duties at work. So this is not a crime, and they're charged with felonies. It's an employee employer issue.
    I believe it falls under this section "(d) A person employed by a governmental entity who knowingly or intentionally accepts property from the entity for the performance of duties not related to the operation of the entity commits ghost employment, a Class D felony"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree that scheduling off duty employment while working is a non-issue, especially doing it while it's slow or between calls. Now, getting paid by two employers for claiming the same hours to both of them is not good.

If I'm understanding you right, I strongly disagree. Policing isn't just about going to calls, it's about visibility and presence. While an officer is working his side gig "between calls," he could be patrolling neighborhoods looking for something. Officers are paid to keep their jurisdiction safe, and to look for things and intervene before they become an issue. Further, I can't imagine officers being happy working a district with a guy doing so, because that person's district mates, out of courtesy, will probably pick up calls because they know he's involved with something else.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If I'm understanding you right, I strongly disagree. Policing isn't just about going to calls, it's about visibility and presence. While an officer is working his side gig "between calls," he could be patrolling neighborhoods looking for something. Officers are paid to keep their jurisdiction safe, and to look for things and intervene before they become an issue. Further, I can't imagine officers being happy working a district with a guy doing so, because that person's district mates, out of courtesy, will probably pick up calls because they know he's involved with something else.

Weeeelllll, many beat cars here "disappear" between runs, waiting for the next run to come out. Proativity is low...it's the norm.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I believe it falls under this section "(d) A person employed by a governmental entity who knowingly or intentionally accepts property from the entity for the performance of duties not related to the operation of the entity commits ghost employment, a Class D felony"

I read it as written. Accepting money from the government to do duties for the government. This for that. He's not being assigned duties outside of work, he's just not doing them while working on a side job. As written, it's hard to swing the other way.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Seems to me a cop is a cop 24/7. If he is avoiding LEO responsibilities while attending to his other ventures, that's a problem. If not.....meh.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    With more details it's hard to judge whether this was blown out of proportion or if it really is some major corruption. In this case being both the Chief and a Captain with no other oversight I could see them taking advantage. Their activities seemed more involved than just an officer spending a day off standing at walmart like a greeter during the Christmas season or at the 1500 for a weekend checking guns. Do departments have guidelines on what work and how much off duty time can be allocated to other employment? I know military units i've been in it was typically the young broke Privates or married ones that wanted a second job but there were specific guidelines on what kind of work they could do and how much they could work, plus they needed to get command's approval. There are reasons they put limits on the amount of work medical residents could do and police work is just as serious.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Weeeelllll, many beat cars here "disappear" between runs, waiting for the next run to come out. Proativity is low...it's the norm.

Oh, I’m clear. Typically they give you a heads up to whatever, or whomever, they’re doing. Lol

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    With more details it's hard to judge whether this was blown out of proportion or if it really is some major corruption. In this case being both the Chief and a Captain with no other oversight I could see them taking advantage. Their activities seemed more involved than just an officer spending a day off standing at walmart like a greeter during the Christmas season or at the 1500 for a weekend checking guns. Do departments have guidelines on what work and how much off duty time can be allocated to other employment? I know military units i've been in it was typically the young broke Privates or married ones that wanted a second job but there were specific guidelines on what kind of work they could do and how much they could work, plus they needed to get command's approval. There are reasons they put limits on the amount of work medical residents could do and police work is just as serious.

I can only comment where I know, but the off duty LEOs we hire at church and to patrol our subdivision (with evil HOA money) have a job that's anything but stressful. It's a couple of hours of "make yourself visible in uniform and keep your eyes peeled." The latter part is something most of us do all the time instinctively, unpaid.

As a citizen, if I found out those guys were suppose to be somewhere else on-duty at the same time.... :xmad:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

This. ^^^

I still wouldn't sweat a guy who pulls over for a few minutes to make notes about some some off-duty employment thoughts that popped up, but when he is billing time for both being on duty and working for an outside security gig, it's not a "few minutes' and it's definitely wrong. Both the guys in the OP link, and the ones at the Columbus PD link I provided, are accused of billing the government and a private employer for the same time. It still has to be proven in court, but it sure sounds like theft from one or both entities.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

You misunderstood me, but I didn't type it very clearly. I was referring to literally writing down the scheduling for off duty employment for the following month or whatever, not actually working it while on duty (which I would completely disagree with).

We have a few officers that are in charge of scheduling off duty employment for either smaller agencies or security jobs. While they are patrolling, they might meet up with other officers in adjoining districts to ask what days they want or call others to get their days and make a schedule. It can be done while moving about the city and stopping here and there visibly in a parking lot a few minutes at a time. This is what I was thinking of. They aren't getting paid by two entities at the same time and they are still out doing their main job.

I refuse to work side jobs, so it isn't something I deal with.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You misunderstood me, but I didn't type it very clearly. I was referring to literally writing down the scheduling for off duty employment for the following month or whatever, not actually working it while on duty (which I would completely disagree with).

We have a few officers that are in charge of scheduling off duty employment for either smaller agencies or security jobs. While they are patrolling, they might meet up with other officers in adjoining districts to ask what days they want or call others to get their days and make a schedule. It can be done while moving about the city and stopping here and there visibly in a parking lot a few minutes at a time. This is what I was thinking of. They aren't getting paid by two entities at the same time and they are still out doing their main job.

Just because you northern coppers are independently wealthy and don’t work side jobs doesn’t mean these poor country cops here in the south don’t need to!;)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Just because you northern coppers are independently wealthy and don’t work side jobs doesn’t mean these poor country cops here in the south don’t need to!;)

I'm one of the few, but it's because I have my own side "businesses". Plus most of those side gigs are sitting in your car two-six more hours a night going insane. I can't do it. If I'm not making something with my hands, I start to get antsy and it drives me nuts. It's just how I'm wired and it makes even working a regular shift kind of difficult in a weird sort of way.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm one of the few, but it's because I have my own side "businesses". Plus most of those side gigs are sitting in your car two-six more hours a night going insane. I can't do it. If I'm not making something with my hands, I start to get antsy and it drives me nuts. It's just how I'm wired and it makes even working a regular shift kind of difficult in a weird sort of way.

Let's face it, most off-duty gigs pay $25-$30 an hour. Not worth getting off the couch for...haha

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I'm still trying to figure out if what is described are really crimes.

Yeah me too. Are these cops not on salary? Are they not on call 24/7/365? When their duties are caught up with during the course of the day are they supposed to sit with their nose in the corner? Repair to the nearest donut shop? I smell boolsheet. ISP better have something more.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ok cool, yeah, I did misunderstand you. How you described it, I'm perfectly ok with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Uh Oh...

Two Columbus Officers Arrested on Charges Related to Ghost Employment

Indiana State Police sent this bulletin at 02/21/2020 01:57 PM EST
    [FONT=&amp]Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
    isp-header-image3_original.png
    [FONT=&amp]
    INDIANA STATE POLICE
    VERSAILLES DISTRICT
    902 S. Adams Street
    Versailles, IN 47042​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]CONTACT:
    Sgt. Stephen Wheeles
    Public Information Officer
    (812)571-4659[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]February 21, 2020[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Today, detectives with the Indiana State Police arrested two Columbus, Indiana police officers on charges of ghost employment, official misconduct, and theft.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The investigation by Detective Jason Duncan began in November 2018 when the Columbus Police Department requested the Indiana State Police to conduct an investigation into allegations of possible criminal activity against two of its employees. The request was made following an internal investigation by the Columbus Police Department.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]During the investigation, it was determined that Lieutenant Dan Meister and Sergeant Ron May allegedly worked an off duty job providing security at Columbus Regional Hospital while on duty with the Columbus Police Department. The investigation indicated that between February 2015 and August 2018, Meister and May allegedly worked overlapping shifts for both Columbus Police Department and Columbus Regional Hospital. Both officers were paid by CPD and CRH for the same hours worked on numerous occasions.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Investigators found that Meister had overlapped hours worked on 52 separate occasions. May was found to have overlapped hours worked on 62 separate occasions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]At the conclusion of the case, the investigation was turned over to a special prosecutor that was assigned in this case.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Today, warrants were issued for both Meister and May on charges of Official Misconduct, Ghost Employment, and Theft. They were both arrested this afternoon without incident and remanded to the custody of the Bartholomew County Jail.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Both will soon face initial hearings in Bartholomew County.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The Indiana State Police was assisted by the Indiana State Board of Accounts.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Attached: Arrest Photo of Dan Meister[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Arrest Photo of Ron May[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]-30- SGT. STEPHEN WHEELES[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Under the Law, criminal charges are merely accusations and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.[/FONT]
    dan-meister-arrest-photo_original.png
    [FONT=&amp]
    Dan Meister​
    [/FONT]
    ronald-may-arrest-photo_original.png
    [/FONT]

Top Bottom