• ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Pretty Sad

It's pretty sad that something as innocent as one guy selling a hunting rifle to another guy now has to be the focus of a police investigation. I remember back in the day when I was in high school they had a "rod and gun club". Once a month when the school had clubs you would see guys walking down the hallway with whatever they brought to the club that day. Now they can't even bring an unloaded .22 to the parking lot to sell.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    “Our investigation pretty much has revealed it was for the purpose of selling from one student to the other,” said Shawn Keen, assistant police chief of investigations. “There does not appear to be any type of motive to use that firearm on anyone.”

He credited students for promptly alerting school staff about what had happened. As a result, staff and police acted quickly and retrieved the rifle before it could be taken into school, Keen said.

WTF it wasn't going to be taken into the school. But I'm so glad that staff and police acted quickly and retrieved the rifle before it could be taken into school.:n00b::dumbass:

However, he expected school district staff to seek the maximum possible penalty “because this is something we’ll never tolerate … We’re not going to deal with these types of things in a very minor way.”

Yeah don't make the penalty fit the crime, bury these kids, that will teach those who want to come to school to kill and maim that they too could receive the maximum penalty.
    This story is so full of fail it makes me want to:puke:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Two Terre Haute South students arrested for attempt to sell gun

TERRE HAUTE — Two Terre Haute South Vigo High School students were arrested Monday after one of them took a .22-caliber, single-shot rifle to the school campus with the intent of selling it to the other.

The gun was unloaded and it was never taken into the school building, school district and police officials said during a news conference.

The student who brought the weapon concealed it and took it with him when he rode the school bus to South. Once he arrived on the South Vigo campus, the gun was placed in the other student’s vehicle.

Both male students face legal and school disciplinary consequences, including possible expulsion.

“Our investigation pretty much has revealed it was for the purpose of selling from one student to the other,” said Shawn Keen, assistant police chief of investigations. “There does not appear to be any type of motive to use that firearm on anyone.”

He credited students for promptly alerting school staff about what had happened. As a result, staff and police acted quickly and retrieved the rifle before it could be taken into school, Keen said.

Officials found no ammunition in the vehicle or school lockers.

Superintendent Dan Tanoos said that “at no time was any student or staff member in danger.”

Possessing, handling or transmitting any firearm on school property is a violation of the school district’s zero-tolerance policy and carries an immediate recommendation for expulsion. It potentially could result in a 12-month school expulsion.

It also is a violation of federal law.

The school district will wait for police to complete their investigation before determining final school discipline, Tanoos said.

However, he expected school district staff to seek the maximum possible penalty “because this is something we’ll never tolerate … We’re not going to deal with these types of things in a very minor way.”

While no one was in danger, officials conducted a news conference to ensure that the community was informed of the facts, Tanoos said. “There’s a lot of rumor filtering through the community already,” he said.

He praised the quick work of city police, school staff and district security staff, as well as students who informed authorities.

Prosecutor Terry Modesitt said his office is researching potential charges, which range from a class-A misdemeanor to a class-D felony.

Because juveniles are involved, his office also is reviewing whether the cases would be handled in juvenile court or adult court.

Students played a key role in the investigation, Keen said. “Their letting staff and officers know what’s going on is critical. They’re going to know before we do, especially in these instances where maybe a weapon is concealed,” he said.

Officials would not say how the student concealed the weapon on the bus.

Modesitt agreed that a news conference was important to ensure that the public knew the facts.

He noted that Monday morning, his office was getting calls from people about allegations that a student went to school with the intention of shooting other students.

While no one was actually in danger, “We don’t want a bunch of students and parents to be terrified and worried about a situation that is just not true,” Modesitt said.

When motive is totally disregarded in a victimless crime such as this, there is a lack of justice being served out.

These two kids may receive felonies for something that would have been legal just across the street.

Some "2A supporters" will applaud this decision however.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    These two kids may receive felonies for something that would have been legal just across the street.

Actually it gets worse for them. Do you recall the other cse recently where a kid in high school left his shotgun in his truck parked on public streets NOT on school property and he was still arrested for having a "gun on school"?

If these two did the selling say durng lunch "off school property" I bet they would have still been arrested since they are "students" and no matter where they do the transaction a gun is involved and that is dangerous!

It's sad to know that this is the mentality of he public now. See a gun and scream!!!!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Wow better keep them guns from these kids. WTH, when I was younger I could have just put a shotgun in my car and went dove hunting that evening and never thought twice about it.

History - being from the deep south, I always admired Indiana in the fact that you could at one time have a gun rack in your truck. It was the only northern state that allowed it.

It doesn't anymore.....Heck I don't even think its allowed in Mississippi anymore either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There are federal laws at play here in addition to state laws. Realize it is illegal to sell a gun on school property and that is what was going on in this case. So these kids, while doing something that most normal people would consider to be LEGITIMATE still were in violation of the laws.

Unfortunately for them, the school district will likely take a mindless "zero tolerance" approach and kick these kids out for a year! Yes, its stupid. But mindless bureaucrats love to do stupid things to set an example. Its just sad when the kids involved are apparently decent kids and only in violation of a technicality of the law.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    History - being from the deep south, I always admired Indiana in the fact that you could at one time have a gun rack in your truck. It was the only northern state that allowed it.

It doesn't anymore.....Heck I don't even think its allowed in Mississippi anymore either.

Fear not, there is no law in Indiana that prevents you from having a vehicle gun rack.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wow better keep them guns from these kids. WTH, when I was younger I could have just put a shotgun in my car and went dove hunting that evening and never thought twice about it.

There is still NO LAW in Indiana that does not allow you to keep a handgun/long gun in your car visible either in a rack or just on the seat. No that being said the sheep will call the 5-0 on your butt with "car in gun" warnings!:rolleyes:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    HUH? You mean I can have a gun rack on the back of my pickup and be legal?

I thought that was banned long ago..

How come I dont see any anymore?

Again there is NO LAW in INDIANA against having a shotgun/rifle in your car for the entire world to see. Heck you can go buy a shotgun/rifle today at your local Wally World put a strap on it and walk around **ANYWHERE** in Indiana (some exceptions) and it is LEGAL!

Now that being said the 5-0 are going to be on your butt real fast in some parts of Indiana *cough* major cities *cough* and the nice 5-0 will be having a few words with you.

Why you don't see it anymore is in part (at least in urban areas) is because the culture has changed in the past 30 years. Sheep now see a gun and they run and fear the thing! They think someone a gun (left alone) is going to blow up and kill them. Last I check this does not occur unless you have a GLOCK.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Last I check this does not occur unless you have a GLOCK.

Thats funny!, thats also why I have an XD.

Wow, that is a revelation to me that it is still legal. I just have not seen it on so long I assumed it was outlawed.

Maybe there is hope yet.. I would still expect to see them in farmers trucks.

Truly eye opening...thanks.

:ingo::ingo:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Thats funny!, thats also why I have an XD.

Wow, that is a revelation to me that it is still legal. I just have not seen it on so long I assumed it was outlawed.

Maybe there is hope yet.. I would still expect to see them in farmers trucks.

Truly eye opening...thanks.

:ingo::ingo:

I think the main reason is because of theft.
    Hang a nice shotgun or rifle in your back window these days and it says "smash the window and steal me" to so many.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I think the main reason is because of theft.
    Hang a nice shotgun or rifle in your back window these days and it says "smash the window and steal me" to so many.

That makes sense but how would one know the owner didn't have another gun.

I still am in shock over this, 20 years I was thinking it as illegal, I last saw one in Petersburg but the was the 80's.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think I have seen one since the late 80's either.
    I do remember them though. I think I even remember seeing them with one or two long guns sometimes. Probably most had room for three.

Old timers and those getting unwanted attention from LEO and sticky finger type pretty much made them less of a fashion statement and more of a liability.

Top Bottom