• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've heard that term "brush shot" or "sound shot " way too many times, and have been shot at by the "hunters" using it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Buddy sent me that link a couple hours ago. Very sad.

The lefts stereotypes realized...........

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Absolutely inexcusable on every level. I hope these two men never have to mow their lawn, take out their trash or change the oil in their vehicles again and the moronic idiot who shot them never sees another day off (because he's too busy mowing lawns, taking out trash and changing oil) so he never has time to hunt again.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    When I was 15 a trespassing hunter shot over my head as I hiked through our woods. In the early 90s a friend and I rendered aid to a wounded hunter we found on the road. This happens far to often.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Intentionally shooting at decoys or a person by someone claiming they thought they were shooting at a turkey or deer should result in a lifetime ban from hunting in my opinion. If someone can't hold it together well enough to target discriminate they don't need to be putting everyone else in danger. It's hunting, it has a lot more to do with being an enjoyable past time than it does fending off starvation, this kind of crap really pisses me off.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Intentionally shooting at decoys or a person by someone claiming they thought they were shooting at a turkey or deer should result in a lifetime ban from hunting in my opinion. If someone can't hold it together well enough to target discriminate they don't need to be putting everyone else in danger. It's hunting, it has a lot more to do with being an enjoyable past time than it does fending off starvation, this kind of crap really pisses me off.

And it happens on a regular basis in Indiana.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    I remember the year I first hunted deer on my Grandfather's farm in Pike co. He'd spent the summer telling me stories of how the neighbors had had cows, cars and other items shot up by "city" hunters over the years. Then just a little before the season opened he offered up the real wisdom. "They's lots a people out there who'll shoot at anything that moves without checking first" he said. "The best way for you to convince 'em you ain't a deer is to shoot back."

God I miss that man.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have always heard of people shooting at someone because they looked like a deer or turkey. So now they are shooting at SOUND? SOUND? Really?how stupid can someone be?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have always heard of people shooting at someone because they looked like a deer or turkey. So now they are shooting at SOUND? SOUND? Really?how stupid can someone be?

Pretty damn, that's how stupid. When I was in CO back in the 70's they had two kids shot off a mini bike...had a guy shoot a steer during elk season and took in to have it weighed (guy from NY City). To a lot of folks the actual outside is like a big video game; they are out of their element.

I was walking with a friend on his farm in NW IN when someone just started shooting at us...a lot, and like BluedSteel noted he quit when we shot back. So....pretty damn.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Just from a totally practical standpoint, safety and irresponsibility aside, I don't understand why anyone would take a shot at something they "thought" was a turkey? From what I am reading, turkeys aren't easy to kill with a shotgun unless you are hitting their head or neck. Seems that there is a pretty small chance you would kill it if you didn't actually see the head and have sights on it. Stupid.

Similar to seeing a little patch of brown in deer season and shooting at it. What's that get you? A wounded deer that you aren't going to recover. Pointless.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    I hunt and I have often wondered what people really see when they shoot someone or something that isn't the game they are after. What I mean is when they take the shot has their brain convinced them that they are seeing a deer or turkey or whatever and thats what they really think they are shooting at. The brain can do weird things, look at how many people are convinced that the Russians stole the election for Trump ( or vice a versa depending on your veiw). When I was in Michigan some guy shot a horse out from under a girl during deer season. It was a hell of a shot over 300 yards but he was convinced he was shooting at a deer. Lucky the girl was unhurt, the horse wasn't so lucky.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    That's my biggest concern about turkey hunting. The decoys are really lifelike and they move, too. Combine that with a well camouflaged hunter and realistic calling... I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Not saying that's the case here. I didn't see the article mention shooting at sound.

KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEYOND IT!!!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have heard horse meat isn't that bad.

It ACTUALLY isn't bad. A horse steak is a bit dry (like bison) because there is not enough fat marbled in. So, you have to eat it medium rare or rare to keep it from being too tough. However, half ground horse/half ground beef makes some tasty burgers.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Never had any trouble while turkey hunting thank God, but deer hunting is another story. About 25 years ago when I still hunted in IL was set up on the top of a ridge that the side facing me was
    VERY steep and bordered on a private gravel road owned by the same land owner, the top still slopped to where I was sitting in my tree stand but much more gradually. I knew deer bedded along the steep side that I faced. Well I hear
    a truck driving down the road and stop, then the gunfire began. I could distinctly hear slugs flying past to the side of me, then based on sound started working there way towards me. I figured the
    occupants of the truck must have spotted some deer on the face of the steep part of the ridge I was on and started shooting at them and the deer began to move resulting in the fire moving towards me. I started to get down out of my treestand and was about half way when slugs started impacting the tree limbs of the tree I was sitting in, a absolutely huge old oak tree with
    a great many massive limbs extending from it's trunk.

I quickly as I could got into position overlooking the road and they must have spotted my blaze because they lit outta there like they were on fire. I seriously considered shooting at them, but I
    I figured it would likely land me in jail. I never told my landowner what had happened for fear he would react by not letting me hunt as he might fear getting sued if I were shot, I simply asked if I could close the gate shutting off easy access to the gravel road due to there being people dumping garbage on his land I had cleaned up.

I did get a good look at the truck and spotted it later. Turned out to belong to the landowners son in law who the very next season got banned from hinting my landowners property FOR EVER for shooting then failing to recover 5 does. Turned out he was sitting in a ladder stand overlooking a field that bordered on another property. The son of the owner of the other property was also hunting a field that save for a skinny hedge row butted up to my landowners field. My land owner tells me the neighbors son watched as a group of does would walk out into the field the son in law would shoot one, it would run off into the neighbors woods. This according to my landowner happened 5 times in one morning. The son in law never got down till after he shot the last deer and never really looked for any of them. All five deer after being shot ran onto the woods and onto or just short of the neighbors land and died.

Now there are no less than five dead deer some of which on my landowners property or his neighboring farmers property who also knew my landowner quite well. Well the other landowner got a hold of my landowner and saw to it none of the dead deer went to waste, and thankfully the idiot son in law was no longer going to be hunting at least not on my landowners property. I still never told him about my incident.

Top Bottom