• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To many well intended (or ill intended,) folks feel that it's OK to be in the way of others attempting to use the same roadway.

And I assume you are also OK with people who walk right past you in a line and cut in front of someone so they can enter ahead of you because dammit they are more important?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And I assume you are also OK with people who walk right past you in a line and cut in front of someone so they can enter ahead of you because dammit they are more important?

If I'm foolish enough to participate in clogging a line designed for faster traffic, then yes I'm OK with going past me for whatever reason. :)

You never know who you might be holding back, trying to be the boss of them, without the authority to do so?
    Maybe they ARE more important or have a more important mission?
    Maybe they just want to get somewhere and you are too overcome with self-importance to be courteous enough to GTF out of the way?
    :dunno:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I'm foolish enough to participate in clogging a line designed for faster traffic, then yes I'm OK with going past me for whatever reason. :)

You never know who you might be holding back, trying to be the boss of them, without the authority to do so?
    Maybe they ARE more important or have a more important mission?
    Maybe they just want to get somewhere and you are too overcome with self-importance to be courteous enough to GTF out of the way?
    :dunno:

I see truckers so this all the time. It works. Traffic flows into the bottleneck. Everyone gets there not just a chosen few.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Maybe they ARE more important or have a more important mission?:dunno:

But this discussion is assuming you DO know the faster lane is a dead end due to construction, accident, etc. NOT hanging out in the fast lane because you disagree with... I think you are looking for THIS thread instead.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/384161-interesting-law.html

Back on topic for a related note...

But though technically the best way is actually the zipper merge, which is what we see as rude, but is more efficient. Trouble is, unless EVERYBODY does it, it sucks and doesnt work. But if EVERYONE is doing it, it is no longer rude. (and I dont foresee this becoming mainstream anytime soon without some type of massive re-education. ) But think about it... its currently only rude because everyone is doing it wrong. if EVERYONE just filled all the lanes until the last minute, and those in the adjacent lanes simply let ONE car in ahead of them at the last minute, traffic would flow MUCH smoother. But like a group of people doing one of those trust exercises known as a sitting circle if not everyone is on board, it fails miserably.
    The Zipper Merge... The beauty of zipper merging, or why you should drive ruder | Ars Technica

FTA:
    The zipper's catch, of course, is that every driver on the road has to be aware of, and believe in, the style of merging before it reaches maximum efficiency. So long as enough drivers don't fill both lanes or intentionally block the soon-to-end lane in the form of vigilante car justice, the concept still has to contend with confusion, whether from out-of-town travelers or oblivious commuters.

"People have learned that it's polite to move over sooner," Johnson said, and that fact means his research and tweaking will continue for years to come to get his state—and hopefully others, as he's been consulted by other transportation departments—into a zipper-merging mindset. He encouraged other states to join in and advised them to try things like updated driver's manuals, public outreach campaigns, and partnerships with local law enforcement to stop lane-blockers.

(a sitting circle for those who arent aware. http://www.aplayfulpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/play_laps.jpg)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't see the zipper merge as rude. What I typically see is the majority of people seeing a sign that the lane is ending and beginning to merge before that point to keep traffic flowing somewhat smoothly. What I see as rude are the (thankfully few) people who feel they are entitled to not be inconvenienced like everyone else and run past 50 cars then expect someone to let them in. Instead of merging when they was space and no one has to stop, now someone has to come to a complete stop for them and that sets of the slinky of brake lights that slows everyone down.

If traffic lanes are full up to the merge point and people are alternating I don't see anything rude at all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't see the zipper merge as rude. What I typically see is the majority of people seeing a sign that the lane is ending and beginning to merge before that point to keep traffic flowing somewhat smoothly. What I see as rude are the (thankfully few) people who feel they are entitled to not be inconvenienced like everyone else and run past 50 cars then expect someone to let them in. Instead of merging when they was space and no one has to stop, now someone has to come to a complete stop for them and that sets of the slinky of brake lights that slows everyone down.

If traffic lanes are full up to the merge point and people are alternating I don't see anything rude at all.

Exactly. Prevailing logic (which is wrong, but still the custom) is to merge ASAP and create an arbitrary, artificial merge point. If everyone were to zipper there, we would be golden.

If EVERYONE isnt merging ASAP at that arbitrary point, you have "rude cutters". Its only rude because its going against what everyone else is doing.

another CSB: ever wonder why you suddenly come to a full stop on the highway in heavy traffic and then when you get back to full speed there is no obvious reason why you stopped?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071219103102.htm

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    another CSB: ever wonder why you suddenly come to a full stop on the highway in heavy traffic and then when you get back to full speed there is no obvious reason why you stopped?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071219103102.htm

I value my time in the military above most experiences of my life but it has led me to a life of frustration. The efficiency of things like marching stuck with me like glue and I have never been able to understand why it isn't as easily understood by everyone. Small things make a huge difference. As an example, when a traffic light turns green, there is no reason to wait until the car in front of you is 50' down the road before you begin to accelerate. Another example is that if I'm sitting at a four way stop and there is another vehicle coming to the intersection and obviously slowing down, I do not need to wait until they come to a complete stop before I proceed. If everyone could grasp simple concepts like these I would spend 48 fewer hours a year getting back and forth to work.

I've always understood that if I match the speed of the vehicle in front of me I will not run in to it. For some reason that completely escapes some people and they believe they must slow to several MPH slower than those they follow to avoid a collision.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    As a child approaching a right lane closed construction zone there was a semi just riding neck to neck with another semi. At 8 years I didn't understand why the semi in the right lane didn't get over. My Dad explained to me that the semi was keeping cars from cutting us and everyone else in the proper lane.

He said the people that cut in front of everyone causes the jam to be worse than needed. He gave me a comparison to the lunch line at the cafeteria at school.

Sometimes people need help to do the right thing. I have more positive reactions than negative when blocking a closed lane ahead.

I have seen people drive in the grass to go around and then speed to the front of the line. Once two very large men exited their vehicle to tell me they would kill me if I didn't let them pass. Let them pass I did. I pulled away before they got close to me. Then waited in line as they drove to the end and didn't merge till orange barrels made them cut off someone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom