bike4.png

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That is truly old-school cool!

Makes me think of Indiana's former "motorized bicycle" laws- THAT is what they were getting at, not today's scooters and mopeds.

The detail work is a thing of art.

I used to be an expert in the "old motorized bicycle" laws....and made sure this complied. It does have headlights, tail lights and turn signals. I had it in storage for several years because I had a "real" motorcycle and not enough space. It is home now, but not on the road yet.

Speaking of the old MB laws, note the engine cover:

View attachment 77580

2 9/10th cubic inches (47ish cc) and 2hp.

Um...yeah.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Finally got Evangeline out for a ride today. It'd been so long she felt like a new bike. Life is much less humbling for my altitudinally challenged back side now that I've dropped hers a couple of inches. Now to get the bags back on.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Had a 98 Vulcan 800, it went when I wasn’t ready to spend on repairs more then it was worth. Sold it to a guy in Attica that flips them for little to no profit to help people get back on bikes after bad things (illnesses, etc).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had a 98 Vulcan 800, it went when I wasn’t ready to spend on repairs more then it was worth. Sold it to a guy in Attica that flips them for little to no profit to help people get back on bikes after bad things (illnesses, etc).

I had one too. I bought that bike without test riding it. Last time I’ll do that! As soon as I fired it up and took it out, I realized I didn’t like it. Rode it for a couple years but just never bonded with it.

Mine was the first year they came out.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I loved mine, paid 1200 for it. Had about 800 in it (tires, brakes, oil changes, etc) and then it needed another tire, chain and sprocket and something else that was an additional 700 dollars in repairs. On top of repairs I had no garage space to store it at my home (it was stored at in laws when not used), so I sold it.

Im thinking about once s year renting something motorcycle (either motorcycle or slingshot) to keep up on riding. I kept all my riding gear.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Leaving in August for a trip around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. We'll see how we feel after we circle Superior, we may continue east and do all 5 of the great lakes. Looking at a 2 to 4 week trip. Combination of tents & hotels. Staying off the interstates and looking to spend our time searching small towns along the lakeshores.

Mine is a 2018 Honda NC750x
    02AA52A2-581C-487F-B20A-330C948634C1_zpsrky5kblb.jpg

My wife has a 2016 Honda NC700x
    5cP1wONpSHi11YvyDeicQ_zpsmr1tvdsl.jpg

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I really like that luggage. When I go back to an adventure touring bike I would be very interested in adding that. (I had a KTM 990)
    Where did you buy that ?

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I really like that red luggage. When I go back to an adventure touring bike I would be very interested in adding that. (I had a KTM 990)
    Where did you buy that ?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I really like that red luggage. When I go back to an adventure touring bike I would be very interested in adding that. (I had a KTM 990)
    Where did you buy that ?

The luggage is Hepco& Becker “Gobi”. It is(or was) the OEM luggage for KTM motorcycles.

I painted it to match the bike using Duplicolor primer, paint and clear coat.

Hepco & Becker offers it in silver, black and two-tone Black/Silver. I matched their factory two-tone paint pattern but switched to Honda’s Metallic red with the silver.

Mine started as all silver boxes.

There are a few suppliers for Hepco & Becker on the Internet. I presume you can order it from KTM? It’s also on EBay

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here are some of the photos of when I painted the original silver colored Hepco & Becker 'Gobi' luggage boxes. BTW, these are heavy duty plastic, dual wall construction, similar to a Yeti cooler but without the foam filling. The hollow area is available for use for water storage and they sell an adapter so you can haul extra water in the area between the walls of the case for overland trips. The 'Gobi' luggage was the OEM choice for KTM motorcycles, it may still be their OEM supplier? Being plastic these boxes can take a beating. Drop or skid the bike and I really believe these boxes will stay in tact and survive much better than aluminum luggage and won't shatter like fiberglass luggage. Paint will obviously be destroyed in any sort of skid but the boxes will take a beating and I highly recommend the Gobi luggage from H & B.

Painting was simple. I disassembled what parts could come off the boxes. Taped over the areas and hardware that was not removable. Then followed the instruction. Primer. Paint. Clear coat. Remove tape. Reassemble.

rTAinegQZqCNwcnzOuBw_zpsmvklbdms.jpg

DbgBGRykSsOXbVJa9XQ4sA_zpsphjejjuc.jpg

8k0MFVVRnOEK7MOs4R91Q_zpsu3b3bwo6.jpg

JBQfKynbSeXfL83W9UJgw_zpsbay0vwaw.jpg

N8eix937Qc2rzK4JWgAmA_zpsmsichf2j.jpg

Top Bottom