• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Going to 9mm?
    I find that a little curious, unless it's for ammo compatibility/availability.

I thought most L.E. went to either the .40S&W or .45acp.

I fully understand wanting to move away from the .357Sig. That was a ingenious solution for a non-existent problem.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Link spells it out. Less recoil and more capacity. Improvements in bullet technology has revived the 9mm. I predict .40 and .357 sig will start to fall out of favor. Looks like 9mm or 45acp will again be viable choices.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    When Hornady released their .380 round in the critical defense line I happened to read the ballistic claims on a box and shook my head, not remotely possible according to every piece of loading data I had studied. I bought a box, and ran it over the chrono in a S&W Bodyguard and just shook my head.

Knocked the dust off all my 9mm pistols the same day. Now if only the powders and data were available to duplicate those new loads. Maybe they are and I can't find them yet?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Going to 9mm?

I fully understand wanting to move away from the .357Sig. That was a ingenious solution for a non-existent problem.

Not unusual at all. A lot of LE is going back to 9mm.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    We have gone back and forth over the last 23 years. We went from the .357 magnum to the 9mm. From the 9mm to the 40 S&W. From the .40 back to the 9mm and now we carry the .45!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Going to 9mm?

Actually a lot more agencies kept the 9mm than one would think, especially the Federal side, US Customs, Bureau of Prisons , Border Patrol allowed it for several years until the early to mid 2000's. US Marshals and Probation Officers issued 3" Ruger GP 100 until around 2002 time frame but most carried 9mm or 45 Glock or SIG.

Today's 9mm is not what it was in the late 80's. Todays 9mm performs just as well as anything else unlike the Wives tales most still talk about now.

Top Bottom