• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The goal is to locate cell phones linked to people under investigation for crimes like selling drugs, but in the process the program collects data about people not suspected of any crime, the report says. The fake cell towers determine which phones belong to criminal suspects and “let go” of those that aren’t.

How does "it" know which are which? What happens to the info that is collected by non-suspects? Do they have warrants to collect the data of the suspects?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    This sounds... familiar... and close to home: Indiana State Police tracking cellphones ? but won't say how or why

Besides, doesn't "airplane mode" on your phone supposed to prevent it from communicating with towers? I usually just turn mine off completely or remove the battery, this is more of a battery life thing than it is a privacy/security thing when flying. I mean, I can't use it on the plane anyhow so no need to keep it on or using battery life. It's time for some gin and a book until the wheels touch pavement again, then I turn it back on.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    This sounds... familiar... and close to home: Indiana State Police tracking cellphones ? but won't say how or why

Besides, doesn't "airplane mode" on your phone supposed to prevent it from communicating with towers? I usually just turn mine off completely or remove the battery, this is more of a battery life thing than it is a privacy/security thing when flying. I mean, I can't use it on the plane anyhow so no need to keep it on or using battery life. It's time for some gin and a book until the wheels touch pavement again, then I turn it back on.

Dr. Faraday has a better way.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I don't believe it tracks cell phones on the plane, it tracks the ones on the ground.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    so this is how they locate criminals so fast huh? Seems like having a smart phone just gives the gov't the ability to find out anything that you are willing to put on it or say through your phone.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Too bad they can't locate and deport illegals as easily, or maybe they just don't try.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    so this is how they locate criminals so fast huh? Seems like having a smart phone just gives the gov't the ability to find out anything that you are willing to put on it or say through your phone.

I would suggest that you do not actually have to say anything, nor enter data into, your cellphone to be compromised. There is a reason the DOD doesn't allow devices like cellphones into controlled spaces. The microphones/cameras can be remotely accessed, the Bluetooth/wifi capabilities can be utilized to communicate with other devices within range.

Top Bottom