• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I switched my press over from .40 to .45 this week and was amazed at how many fewer issues I had with .45. I use a Dillon decapper/sizing die on my .45 and a U die (full length resizer) on my .40. The U die (since it's not tapered at the bottom) is much more difficult to get the case to feed cleanly. I find myself having to reach around the press and push the case to line up with the U die.

I have very, very few issues with my reloads feeding in .40 and in .45. I know .45 is a different animal but I'm thinking of ditching the U die and going back to a Dillon die for decapping and sizing .40. Sucks too because since I switched to the U die, I haven't broken a single decapping pin.

I'm asking for opinions from you other high volume reloaders.

ETA: I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the final position on both .40 and .45
    Thanks

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I switched my press over from .40 to .45 this week and was amazed at how many fewer issues I had with .45. I use a Dillon decapper/sizing die on my .45 and a U die (full length resizer) on my .40. The U die (since it's not tapered at the bottom) is much more difficult to get the case to feed cleanly. I find myself having to reach around the press and push the case to line up with the U die.

I have very, very few issues with my reloads feeding in .40 and in .45. I know .45 is a different animal but I'm thinking of ditching the U die and going back to a Dillon die for decapping and sizing .40. Sucks too because since I switched to the U die, I haven't broken a single decapping pin.

I'm asking for opinions from you other high volume reloaders.

ETA: I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the final position on both .40 and .45
    Thanks

I'm pretty low volume on .40 so far, having just gotten my .40 dies (all Dillon) at Christmas.... I've only loaded about 1k. However.... so far... EVERY SINGLE ROUND has passed the dillon case gauge.

I'm loading for a glock, so I realize I'm less likely to have any feed problems anyway, but unless I start having problems, I'll stick w/ the Dillon. Matt "Sporky" put a few through his new STI w/o issue, also.

not a lot of help, I know....

-rvb

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Bill...i just switched back to a dillon size die from the u-die. My jamming issues at the size station went away. The case rim is just too inconsistent on range pickup brass to be able to perfectly put the case into the shellplate every time. The dillon die for the reason u mentioned is much more forgiving of this. I still case guage all my match ammo so it isnt an issue with me in 9. If u go back to the dillon u may have to case guage ur match ammo, but just using the udie doesnt mean u cant have an occasional round that wont chamber, it just decreases the possibility a bit.

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    I used the u-die in 9mm and gave it up and went back to Dillon. I have very little trouble with the Dillon dies. What trouble I did have was a mag problem.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    K I'll bite...what's a U-die? (I thought that's what the Aloha Snackbar guys were supposed to scream when running at you with a machete).

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    It's a full length resizer/decapper die that is supposed to size the case much father down than the Dillon due to it's lack of flare at the opening to accept a case. It's used for getting rid of the bulge in Glock fired brass, among other things.
    And that brings with it another problem.

It's got an awesome decapping pin set up, Dillon should steal it.

When I switch over to .40 again, I'll change it over to a Dillon die. I started loading .45 and it was just so easy. About the only issue I had was trying to put a small primer in a large primer case.

Which is much better than the other way around.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Bill,
    I use a Lee U die as well. I might have 1 out of 400 that I have to push in on the brass for it to feed into the sizer die. Are you sure your not a tad out of adjustment? I cant remember what the part is called on the case feeder assembly. But its the part that pushes the shell into the plate. But I do remember having to adjust it in a tad.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've adjusted it in as far as it will go. I might try a pad on the front of that case pusher to get it a little farther into the shell plate before I change out to a Dillon die.
    Mine is like one or two in 10, not one in 400.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Here we go.....i suppose a dillon die will get u killed on the street too.

It might.

But the Redding is a good compromise between the Dillon on the U. It has enough radius to run in a progressive without much fiddling, but it's a smidge tighter and sizes further down the case than the Dillon dies. And the Ti carbide really is slicker in my experience than the tungsten carbide.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Ensure that your shellplate is clean, this sometimes requires that you dig out the crud from where the rim slides in.
    Check the spring in the case insert slide, they can break and still work but they won't work as well.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've been cleaning out the shell plate regularly. I'll check the spring you mentioned.

I've got different complete tool heads for .40 and .45. When I switched to .45 my rate just about doubled.

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    Bill,
    I use a Lee U die as well. I might have 1 out of 400 that I have to push in on the brass for it to feed into the sizer die. Are you sure your not a tad out of adjustment? I cant remember what the part is called on the case feeder assembly. But its the part that pushes the shell into the plate. But I do remember having to adjust it in a tad.

I had 6 out of 150 rounds not fit the case check this weekend for .40. Frustrating really because most of my range brass has a bit of a bulge. A few times I've found a case that is obviously bulged to bad to use but generally they will go into the case checker with a bit of a shove. So close!

I know Dan likes his so I'm thinking of an upgrade to the U die. I'd rather have my toe nails pulled out with a pliers than have to do the bullet puller...

I figure if my rounds are costing .20 per round at the high side to make, a $30 die will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Is the consensus that U dies are good for .40 then?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I had 6 out of 150 rounds not fit the case check this weekend for .40. Frustrating really because most of my range brass has a bit of a bulge. A few times I've found a case that is obviously bulged to bad to use but generally they will go into the case checker with a bit of a shove. So close!

I know Dan likes his so I'm thinking of an upgrade to the U die. I'd rather have my toe nails pulled out with a pliers than have to do the bullet puller...

I figure if my rounds are costing .20 per round at the high side to make, a $30 die will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Is the consensus that U dies are good for .40 then?

How do they fit in your barrel? How do they feed/shoot? Case gauges are good, but sometimes make you worry over nothing... I'm new to .40, but every.38super or 9mm that failed the gauge got tossed in my practice bucket and worked just fine.... I never pulled a single one. Obviously if you chamber is that tight they won't run, that's a different story...

-rvb

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    How do they fit in your barrel? How do they feed/shoot? Case gauges are good, but sometimes make you worry over nothing... I'm new to .40, but every.38super or 9mm that failed the gauge got tossed in my practice bucket and worked just fine.... I never pulled a single one. Obviously if you chamber is that tight they won't run, that's a different story...

-rvb

We are both Glock boys. I'm new to reloading and maybe I have put to much reliance on the case guage. After seeing some of the horrific failures in Glock .40's I might be overly nervous. I like my fingers... I'll pull the barrel in my back up gun and check the ones that wont fit in the case guage. Like you said, they then become practice rounds.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    58757244.jpg

Top Bottom