• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I have received 2 exceptionally large packets from the U.S. gov't (allegedly) in the past 2 months. This packet is about 40 pages long and wants information about everything (ranging from how much time I spend at home, to where I work, to how much i make, too types of things I buy). This packet looks very official, and include such language as "your subject to arrest if you fail to submit this completed" form blah blah blah. Anyway, I have yet to find anyone who has ever seen this survey, have you? I have concluded its some kind of scam trying to find out lots of info for whatever! What do you think?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nope. It's not a scam, (at least not in the conventional sense), it's the ACS. American Community Survey, from the Census Bureau. I received it a few years ago and just canned them. I refuse to give that kind of info to them. If you decide to do the same, be prepared for some harassment. They'll call you, if you have a landline and stop in a couple of times if they still don't get what they want from you. They stopped in on me about 3 times, then gave up. Haven't heard from them since. They'll mention fines (no-one's been fined, yet) and even jail time. Don't let them bully you. All I told them was how many people lived in my house. Nothing more. Just hang in there.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Thanks for the info mrj, I started to fill it out, then, i read the letter of why they wanted it. "To decide where to build hospitals, schools, and fire stations". Last time I checked the federal govt doesn't decide any of that. The local govt however, has placed a school 250' from my back porch, 2 fire stations within a mile, and hospitals (to many count within 10 miles). But, I appreciate the input, and, will not be participating in there find an illegal alien program!

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Thanks for the info mrj, I started to fill it out, then, i read the letter of why they wanted it. "To decide where to build hospitals, schools, and fire stations". Last time I checked the federal govt doesn't decide any of that. The local govt however, has placed a school 250' from my back porch, 2 fire stations within a mile, and hospitals (to many count within 10 miles). But, I appreciate the input, and, will not be participating in there find an illegal alien program!
    Your local govt does use the federal government census information to help determine that though

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Census Schmensus. They are entitled to "enumerate" (count) and that's IT.
    Pitch that junk where it belongs...right in the trash.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Your local govt does use the federal government census information to help determine that though

Yes, and ALL of the information they need to do that can be gathered from the census that is Constitutionally taken every 10 years. Anything more than "number of people living here" is NOT legal for them to ask.

Send the entire packet back to them using their return envelope, with a firm but polite "no thanks" note.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Is there case law on this? While I agree that that level of intrusion is certainly unconstitutional, I also believe that laws against machine guns, suppressors, and SBRs are also unconstitutional. Anyone want to protest those and be a test case?

I'd just hate for someone to get into serious financial trouble, right though they may be.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is there case law on this? While I agree that that level of intrusion is certainly unconstitutional, I also believe that laws against machine guns, suppressors, and SBRs are also unconstitutional. Anyone want to protest those and be a test case?

I'd just hate for someone to get into serious financial trouble, right though they may be.
    Nope, no case law at all on the ACS. They won't arrest people or fine them, because they don't want the matter to go before the courts.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I too was continually harrassed regarding the short form. Once they threatened to have me arrested, I called their bluff. I went into the sheriffs office, explained the situation, and I was assured that the only way I would be arrested is if the sheriff was brought a federal warrant, in which case his hands would be tied.

I later learned that the Census worker had voluntarily filled out a good portion of the form for my address. The very polite lady that discovered this took time while in my presence to erase everything except for the number of people living within the house.

Good luck, and stay vigilant.

Top Bottom