• ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    T
    I may or may not have heard that some guys deployed in the most recent situation used aks because there wasn't paperwork related to shooting them. I'm not sure if that's accurate, like every payroll vehicle unofficially had one in it. There were definement plenty of stashes discovered and then posed with!
    that Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Battlefield pickup weapons and ammo require no accounting for rounds fired as long as the immediate senior NCO’s and LT are onboard.

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez was in a rush to volunteer for a rescue mission and forgot to grab his M16. He charged through enemy gunfire and explosions armed only with a Bowie knife until he salvaged an AK47 off a dead Vietcong. It saved his life and many other wounded soldiers.

437F47B9-DB85-422F-B2F6-50ABE7E4538E.jpeg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez was in a rush to volunteer for a rescue mission and forgot to grab his M16. He charged through enemy gunfire and explosions armed only with a Bowie knife until he salvaged an AK47 off a dead Vietcong. It saved his life and many other wounded soldiers.

View attachment 125229
    Holy crap. I had to look that guy up. He was a serious bad ass!

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    Holy crap. I had to look that guy up. He was a serious bad ass!

Even while temporarily blind from blood pooling in his eyes while riddled with bullets, shrapnel, and cut open so badly by a bayonet his intestines were hanging out he still mustered up all the strength with his broken jaw to spit in the face of the doctor who pronounced him dead, or else he would have bled to death in a body bag.

Prior to that rescue mission he would go on patrols alone looking for NVA while dressed as one wearing black pajamas, sandals, and a conical bamboo hat while carrying an AK47. Since he was a shorter statured fair skinned Mexican/Native American he could easily blend in as Vietcong from a distance.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even while temporarily blind from blood pooling in his eyes while riddled with bullets, shrapnel, and cut open so badly by a bayonet his intestines were hanging out he still mustered up all the strength with his broken jaw to spit in the face of the doctor who pronounced him dead, or else he would have bled to death in a body bag.

Prior to that rescue mission he would go on patrols alone looking for NVA while dressed as one wearing black pajamas, sandals, and a conical bamboo hat while carrying an AK47. Since he was a shorter statured fair skinned Mexican/Native American he could easily blend in as Vietcong from a distance.
    That's just freakin' incredible. :patriot:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Back in the day we used to have commie weapons training at NTC. We would fire AK’s, SKS, RPD, RPK, ect.
    I think every time we trained with a foreign nation we had a range day to fire each other’s weapons.
    I know of a weapons pool in Kuwait were you can get just about anything you want if you “need” it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Back in the day we used to have commie weapons training at NTC. We would fire AK’s, SKS, RPD, RPK, ect.
    I think every time we trained with a foreign nation we had a range day to fire each other’s weapons.
    I know of a weapons pool in Kuwait were you can get just about anything you want if you “need” it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A friend worked for a company that imports ak47 parts and puts them in American made receivers, a company that has...”questionable quality control” and a “reputation” for lots of returns, they had a division that assembled them for civilian sales, and a division that assembled them for the us government!

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    A friend worked for a company that imports ak47 parts and puts them in American made receivers, a company that has...”questionable quality control” and a “reputation” for lots of returns, they had a division that assembled them for civilian sales, and a division that assembled them for the us government!
    I've heard a lot about century doing that, but unless if I get any actual proof I'll just chalk it up to hearsay.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I've heard a lot about century doing that, but unless if I get any actual proof I'll just chalk it up to hearsay.
    You can all it hearsay, but my friend drove from Indiana to Maine, worked in there for a summer (as an intern) drove back here, told me that story (and other stories) then went back to college to finish his degree in engineering, and now he works for another firearm manufacturer company...so if you want to think it’s hearsay go ahead and think that

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    You can all it hearsay, but my friend drove from Indiana to Maine, worked in there for a summer (as an intern) drove back here, told me that story (and other stories) then went back to college to finish his degree in engineering, and now he works for another firearm manufacturer company...so if you want to think it’s hearsay go ahead and think that
    Oh in that case.... Could you hook me up for an internship :P

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I believe it. I believe that US made AKs are one of our biggest arms exports for military aid.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Funny story about that, the guy who they (century) hired as coo was from Evansville, and is a friend of both of us (the intern and myself) and he offered an internship to him.

Any insight from Century on the SOC guns? The WASR-10s and the AES-10Bs, or the DPMS AR-15s that allegedly saw some use by (Ugandan?) security contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan. While not specifically fielded by Americans, those security guards received American training on these weapons.

I was always intrigued by those "bring back" AKs that Atlantic Firearms had for sale for a bit, but never enough to buy one. Cool story though.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Our company commander would land on us with both feet if we were tote'n anything but issued.

That is why I opted to carry the M60. I was high shooter but chose to be machine gunner. "Baby" would reach out there...

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    FWIW I had a neighbor once who was in an Israeli SOF unit doing a lot of behind-the-lines raids, and they carried kalashnikovs to help keep the enemy in a state of confused reaction by having their weapons have the same sound

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    think i read the ars were gettiing too dirty to run properly with the powder the army was using in the ammo, so alot of gis were using the aks because they would run dirty as sh** and still shoot.

The ammo played a role but wasn't the primary problem.
    The primary problem was cost cutting. The government decided they didn't need a chrome lined chamber while in a hot, tropical climate. This resulted in ridiculous amounts of corrosion in the chambers of the rifles, causing stuck casings that made the rifles useless.

Eventually they started fixing the rifles with chromed bores. And it hasn't been a problem since.
    Another reason why unlined barrels do not belong on the rifle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    FWIW I had a neighbor once who was in an Israeli SOF unit doing a lot of behind-the-lines raids, and they carried kalashnikovs to help keep the enemy in a state of confused reaction by having their weapons have the same sound

I’ve read that the moderator used on the XM177E2 used in Vietnam was designed to give the AR a sound very similar to the AK for that same reason.

Top Bottom