• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Strange, big media said nothing about this. They did feature Ed Delany foaming at the mouth over the lack of new gun control laws.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Causation or correlation??

Also, the article is misleading. There are no stats for the rate of mass shootings (as defined by the FBI) over that time period, nor stats about crimes committed with firearms.

boostjunki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Elkhart County
    Ya'll need to put the homicide rate chart on yer facebook and twitter pages. That tells the whole story right there.

There are a lot of charts in this link that tell quite the story as well. I'll leave it to you to figure it out: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

View attachment 48061

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Some minds are so steadfast in their belief that nothing will change their opinions. Zealots but without the religion.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Could anything change your mind about that?

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Some minds are so steadfast in their belief that nothing will change their opinions. Zealots but without the religion.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Ya'll need to put the homicide rate chart on yer facebook and twitter pages. That tells the whole story right there.

There are a lot of charts in this link that tell quite the story as well. I'll leave it to you to figure it out: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

View attachment 48061

Page 137. Homicide by guns (all types) in 1976: 11,979. In 2005, 11,346.

So, it would seem HOMICIDE BY FIREARM hasn't dropped 51%. Homicide by other means has dropped considerably, but homicide by firearm is still a significant problem.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington

"Zealot" originally referred to members of an ancient Jewish sect who resisted the Romans at Masada in 70 AD. When the Romans finally breached the walls, all of the Zealots had committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner! Religion was the BASIS of their "zealotry"!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I mentioned "causation or correlation" in reference to the book, "Freakonomics". In it, the authors argued that the drop in crime that began around 1991 was due more likely to the 1973 Roe vs. Wade ruling legalizing abortion than any other cause. Quite simply, kids who would have been committing crime (as adults) beginning in 1991, had been aborted! So, no crime from them (nor those aborted after them).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I mentioned "causation or correlation" in reference to the book, "Freakonomics". In it, the authors argued that the drop in crime that began around 1991 was due more likely to the 1973 Roe vs. Wade ruling legalizing abortion than any other cause. Quite simply, kids who would have been committing crime (as adults) beginning in 1991, had been aborted! So, no crime from them (nor those aborted after them).

Wow. Just... wow. So now you're advocating abortion as a way to reduce crime. Well yeah, I guess if every single pregnancy ended in abortion pretty soon there would be no one left to commit crimes. Brilliant strategy there. :rolleyes:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Yet Indy homicide rate is at a all time high with a high number of gun owners and very favorable gun laws. Not everything is as it seems.

Where are we at now?

But you already know that the increase legal gun ownership and the homicide rate aren't directly related.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Where are we at now?

But you already know that the increase legal gun ownership and the homicide rate aren't directly related.
    Oh, I know. I have no idea what the number is right now. I think it is lower so far than last year but that is a pretty low bar. Until we address the WILL to harm other people, this will never get better.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yet Indy homicide rate is at a all time high with a high number of gun owners and very favorable gun laws. Not everything is as it seems.

We have a Gang Problem here in Indy, not a gun problem. Pay attention on who is doing the killing, it's the thugs, drug dealers, just plain evil people.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Wow. Just... wow. So now you're advocating abortion as a way to reduce crime. Well yeah, I guess if every single pregnancy ended in abortion pretty soon there would be no one left to commit crimes. Brilliant strategy there. :rolleyes:

Did *I* say that? Not at all. The authors suggested a correlation, not causation.

No, perhaps if every UNWANTED pregnancy ended in abortion, we'd have fewer kids in poverty, less child abuse, fewer kids growing up under-fed, under-housed and under-educated. However, I'm merely stating possible correlations, not causations. Big difference.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wow, how Hitleristic!

Top Bottom