• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Probably not the first time and it certainly won't be the last. Every third world country loves the humanitarian aid they get.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It definitely put legit aid workers at risk, assuming it to be true.

My concern doesn't have a thing to do with Hiramine's faith or anything else. Anytime you use unwitting volunteers in a spy operation - that's not right. It's one thing if they signed up to smuggle something into NK. But to unwittingly use the aid workers as mules, is not right.

It is remarkable that someone of Japanese ancestry (as Hiramine is) was allowed access ANYWHERE in Korea. The two countries HATE one another, and the Koreans have a fair amount of historical reason on their side for their hatred.

Interesting - I'll have to read up further when I can.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Makes you question when some US citizens are detained in other countries for being spies, maybe some actually are spies. Not in the traditional CIA recruit trained to be a spy but asked to do uncle Sam some favors while doing humanitarian work.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It feels similar to using polio vaccinations in Pakistan as cover in the search for Bin Laden.

This was the example I was thinking of. The unintended consequences of the return of polio may outweigh getting the bad guy in some situations. In other situations the bad guy or the bad government may be of greater concern than handing out bibles and and western culture knick knacks. Something that needs decided by non-politically motivated individuals behind closed doors and then everyone keeps their mouth shut.

...asked for anonymity because discussing classified military and intelligence matters would put them at risk of prosecution

What I find equally disturbing is people not keeping their mouth shut about classified matters. Perhaps a few prosecutions with severe consequences would allow us to keep secrets secret.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This was the example I was thinking of. The unintended consequences of the return of polio may outweigh getting the bad guy in some situations. In other situations the bad guy or the bad government may be of greater concern than handing out bibles and and western culture knick knacks. Something that needs decided by non-politically motivated individuals behind closed doors and then everyone keeps their mouth shut.

What I find equally disturbing is people not keeping their mouth shut about classified matters. Perhaps a few prosecutions with severe consequences would allow us to keep secrets secret.

I'm sure the north Koreans have some idea what's going on, I personally like learning of these things which I otherwise wouldn't for 50 years if ever.

Top Bottom