• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    They had him on a short leash, but he got loose and ran amuck. Seriously, I've never seen such a thing. My years on a Navy Yard were in Iceland, no missiles, keys, or P02s with log chains.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think the guy with the chain is a boatswain and that is his whistle chain. I may be wrong as I was in Naval aviation. I'm sure some of the salty sea dogs around here will chime in to correct t me as needed.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I think the guy with the chain is a boatswain and that is his whistle chain. I may be wrong as I was in Naval aviation. I'm sure some of the salty sea dogs around here will chime in to correct t me as needed.

That is what I was thinking .....

BUT, I am a JARHEAD .....

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Who let Carl drive the ship?

15043953_1822711358004666_7901819013716508672_n.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    F'n skimmer pukes. :rofl:

I'm not sure, but the chain could be attached to his service weapon. Drop things on a vessel, and they tend to go in the water, no matter where you are. If you're in the ship, they tend to go in the bilge.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not being Naval, it doesn't sound as if there was a choice, being anchored, and dragging the anchor because of high seas or winds, sounds like a no fault kinda thing? I will defer to any of the more squidish among us though!

Not tied up to a pier, they should have their main engines ready to go.
    A ship with boilers will have some shut down, and some on standby because they are slow to warm up.
    Antietam though is a gas turbine ship, which powers up very fast. Same thing applies though. They should have had a turbine on standby.
    As soon as dragging is determined, they should have weighed anchor, set the sea detail, and sail into open waters.

Regardless of what they should have done, did do, or keyboard warriors such as my self think, the Navy takes a DIM view of Captains that hazard their ship on a reef or beach.
    A Captain is responsible for everything that happens, even if he is not there.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not tied up to a pier, they should have their main engines ready to go.
    A ship with boilers will have some shut down, and some on standby because they are slow to warm up.
    Antietam though is a gas turbine ship, which powers up very fast. Same thing applies though. They should have had a turbine on standby.
    As soon as dragging is determined, they should have weighed anchor, set the sea detail, and sail into open waters.

Regardless of what they should have done, did do, or keyboard warriors such as my self think, the Navy takes a DIM view of Captains that hazard their ship on a reef or beach.
    A Captain is responsible for everything that happens, even if he is not there.
    Zactly why I defer to the more squidish amongst us! I don't go into water without a BC, Octopus, and a bang stick, so I know nothing!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Zactly why I defer to the more squidish amongst us! I don't go into water without a BC, Octopus, and a bang stick, so I know nothing!

During a bad enough storm, such as a typhoon, ships will leave port and avoid the area. Even if they catch the storm, they can weather it better at sea, than being battered against the land.

I'm not privy to their engine plant, but I think it's gas turbine to generate electricity, and electricity actually drives the propeller shaft.
    If that's true, then a turbine was already up.
    There's no electricity at sea, unless you make it. So if they were making power, then they had propulsion.

Of course, I could be wrong. They could have an electrical generator, up and powering "hotel loads", and another turbine could power the propeller shafts through reduction gears. I'd have to do more research.
    But even if that were true, gas turbines are up in running in very short times, compared to steam boilered ships.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you're going to be on a skimmer, a Tico class cruiser is a bit of a bad ass.

th

And here she is next to the Pennsylvania. Pretty damn big compared to a battleship.
    Granted, she's out "gunned".
    But, her Aegis system will shoot anything and everything out of the air, providing a safe umbrella for the fleet to operate under.

85_big.jpg

Tico class cruiser description (Ticonderoga class)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticonderoga-class_cruiser

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Professional Notes | U.S. Naval Institute

The basic power plant and hull lines of the Ticonderoga class are lifted directly from the DD-963 class. Four LM-2500 gas turbines—two per shaft—deliver 80,000 shaft horsepower on demand. Throttle control can be taken directly in the pilothouse (the normal mode of operation), in the central control station (CCS), or locally in the engineering spaces. The engines can achieve no-load idle speed from cold iron in 60 seconds or less, and can accelerate from no-load to full speed and maximum power in 30 seconds or less. As a result, the Ticonderogas, like the Spruances, accelerate almost instantaneously, and will stop from all-ahead Flank III (top speed) to dead-in-the-water in two ship lengths or 60 seconds. When conning alongside a pier, this speed of response is particularly important. Generally, the effect of an engine order will be felt about the same time the engine whine can be heard in the pilothouse. The twin propellers are controllable reversible pitch.

According to this, even if the engine was "cold engine", they should have been able to start up, and go to maximum power in 1.5 minutes.
    So, either the "chain of command" failed, or someone made a big "oops".

Whether it's a lookout that didn't mention it, a new Ensign as OOD (Officer Of the Deck), or the Old Man himself, the Old Man will be the one in front of a Board of Inquiry.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Are there not GPS systems you can tell that you're "parked", and an alarm goes off when you are moving from your parked location?

I get a normal boat operator dragging an anchor, but the Navy doing it seemed unlikely to me. Maybe the conditions were just insane. The boat is basically a big sail

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you're going to be on a skimmer, a Tico class cruiser is a bit of a bad ass.

th

And here she is next to the Pennsylvania. Pretty damn big compared to a battleship.
    Granted, she's out "gunned".
    But, her Aegis system will shoot anything and everything out of the air, providing a safe umbrella for the fleet to operate under.

85_big.jpg

Tico class cruiser description (Ticonderoga class)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticonderoga-class_cruiser
    And she looks damned sexy doing it!

Top Bottom