• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Listen very carefully.

Sometimes 'C-O-L-T' sounds like 'C-o-L-T' or 'C-O-l-T'. When was this revolver manufactured?

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Listen very carefully.

Sometimes 'C-O-L-T' sounds like 'C-o-L-T' or 'C-O-l-T'. When was this revolver manufactured?
    It is used but is only a few years old. There seem to be only 3 stages/hammer positions. I can't find anything online about a uberti only having a 3 stage hammer.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Just follow it through the click stages:
    1) The first click is the trigger catching the safety notch of the hammer. You should be able to see the trigger 'pop' into the notch.
    2) Next comes the trigger catching the half-cock or loading notch. You should be able to see the trigger rise out of the safety notch and pop into the half-cock notch.
    3) Third is the bolt clicking on the bottom of the cylinder - should lock the cylinder on place. Watch the bolt between the bottom of the cylinder and the frame. It should rise and lock into the slot on the cylinder.
    4) Finally is the trigger catching the full-cock notch of the hammer. Again, you should be able to see the trigger rise out of the half-cock notch and pop into the full-cock notch.

Have you thoroughly cleaned it? Like disassembling it? (see YouTube!) The hammer on my Uberti Hartford broke a very small piece off of the loading notch lip that lodged in the notch and caused me fits. There also could be gunk and grime filling a notch so the trigger merely slides by.

Also, once at full-cock, can you bump the hammer and cause it to fall without pulling the trigger? (that's bad)

If you're really paranoid, take it to a gunsmith that knows 1873 revolvers and have them take a look. Or take it to a local SASS/NCOWS match and have someone knowledgeable there (there will be many) give it the once-over. If it's deemed safe, you'll probably have to fire it there as well. :draw:

SAAs all the way!

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I will take it apart and clean it and see if there is anything obvious to me.

Mine appears to go straight to halfcock for loading and seems to skip stage one. Also in stage 3, I can bump the hammer to go back to half cock position. However, in stage 4 (full cock) it is pretty solid.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Is the firing pin in the hammer or in the frame? If in the frame, there is no "first step". If there is a transfer bar, there is no "first step".

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Is the firing pin in the hammer or in the frame? If in the frame, there is no "first step". If there is a transfer bar, there is no "first step".
    Interesting. So mine has the firing pin in the frame. You are the first person I have heard say this. So it sounds like mine should only have 3 clicks.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I didn't say that clearly. Sorry. Depends on whether you have a transfer bar. Uberti built many different styles of Colt clones. I'm aware of 4 different hammers. There is also the transfer bar option. Some of the revolvers came with a longer cylinder pin with an extra notch for a safety to get around import requirements. So, it really all depends.

Clicks are less important than timing. If the 3rd click is too early, a cylinder will develop a ring. Also, it can be taken out of time by lowering the hammer from the half cock position.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ah gotcha. Yeah after researching online, I was able to confirm that mine does have a transfer bar, which i finally found one site that said transfer bar systems have "3 click" hammers. So, I believe mine is a Uberti Horseman. Funny how Uberti's site doesn't seem to explain what the transfer bar is, or at least I couldn't find it. Thanks for clarifying a few things for me. 3 clicks v 4 clicks doesn't bother me as long as the gun is working correctly.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ask one of the cowboy action shooters who can dump 5 rounds out of an Uberti in under 2 seconds. They don't hear clicks. LOL
    Haha yeah I don't believe I am quite on that level.

I checked the timing by pulling the hammer back to its final stage and then seeing if i could move the cylinder, even if only a thousands of an inch. Nope, it was solid in the slot. Seems to be in good shape.

Top Bottom