Ugh, we are our own worst enemy at times.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    "when someone approached him and asked if he could take a look at the weapon. Reed agreed to show him, and while he was trying to clear the ammunition from the weapon, he accidentally fired into the asphalt pavement."

:ugh:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    2nd offense?

Accidental discharge though, so at least it wasn't negligent.

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    "when someone approached him and asked if he could take a look at the weapon. Reed agreed to show him, and while he was trying to clear the ammunition from the weapon, he accidentally fired into the asphalt pavement."

:ugh:

Agreed, that is just foolish.

Let's keep our fingers off the triggers ladies! :drill:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You can look at the holstered firearm all you want because that's where it's gonna stay. Get it? Got it? Good.

Edit: Guess I should've read the posted article first before commenting since it was a rifle. Oh well.. my post still stands though because there are plenty of incidences of this nature relating to handguns.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of folks were worried about this very 5hing. Thank God nobody got hurt. Media will have a field day with this none the less about just how dangerous it is for civilians to own guns. If guys are going to do this, they at least need some basic proficiency with their weapons. Just like all the people that showed up with AR15 without any sights, etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm sure the service members are thrilled that Bubba and Cletus have started showing up at recruiting centers to "guard" them.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It appears that his head was up his ass. Can't get a good sight picture that way if you actually really needed to use the firearm for defense.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    STOP COON FINGERING THE DAMN WEAPON!!!!:xmad: IT'S NOT SHOW AND TELL!! Obviously doesn't understand the sentry duties and has never heard of a sentries general orders! I believe number 7 would have sufficed but I could have sworn there was one about not surrendering your weapon. Oh well it's been a long time! (JROTC but you get the picture!:patriot:)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. To be especially watchful at night, and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.[/FONT]

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Appreciate the sentiment, but there is a better way to go about this, like enabling our soldiers (and everyone else) to defend themselves.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Appreciate the sentiment, but there is a better way to go about this, like enabling our soldiers (and everyone else) to defend themselves.

That's just not going to happen, at least at the federal level.

My question, is anyone asking for this "civilian guard"? I strongly suspect people take "sheepdog" way to seriously.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Could we slap the guy for all the "I told you so" we're going to hear?

I'm sure the service members are thrilled that Bubba and Cletus have started showing up at recruiting centers to "guard" them.

A lot of the guys doing the guarding are ex-mil.
    And a lot keep the rifle in the car, and just have a pistol.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My problem is, the recruiter officers are probably safe now.
    I'm betting the "Lone Wolf" playbook is to hit different targets.
    We're always good at closing the door AFTER the horse has escaped.
    So next, they'll hit a shopping mart.
    Or a bowling alley.
    Or....

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    This group seems to be prior military, so at least those claiming that "civilians" have no training and should not be able to carry have a shining example of " military makes mistakes too". As he stated:

“Government ain’t going to do it,” said Kenneth Casteel, a 67-year-old Marine Corps veteran who served in Vietnam and sat in a folding chair with his M-16 rifle propped against it. “They won’t give these guys any weapons to carry or keep in a safe. If we don’t do it, who is going to do it? It’s a matter of safety.”

“We are not a redneck group,” the Lancaster resident added. “We are prior military.”

Top Bottom