• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Was in town running some errands this morning and had a little time to kill so I stopped in a LGS just to see what was new. Was checking out the scopes when a fellow walked in to pick up a rifle he got off gunbroker or some such. Dealer cut the tape and opened up the box and the buyer picked up the rifle and was looking it over. Dealer took the gun back to do the paperwork and opened the action (Ruger 44 mag semi), and a round flew out.:eek::facepalm: He tried to get the mag out, wouldn't budge, so he worked the action some more and more rounds flew out. Needless to say, there was an awkward silence for a minute or two, not to mention a few raised eyebrows. As I was heading towards the door (was done anyways) I saw 5 or maybe 6 rounds laying on the counter. What makes it even worse is that the way the box was laying on the counter, it was pointed directly at my midsection, and had the buyer not had good trigger discipline, I could very well have been posting this from somewhere other than my living room. Remember: THE GUN IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS LOADED!!!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    opened the action (Ruger 44 mag semi), and a round flew out.

more and more rounds flew out.

Happens more than you'd guess. In the last year, I've cleared rounds out of (and seen rounds cleared from) about a half dozen empty guns.
    Mostly walk-ins for me, though. (Trades and such)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Dealer cut the tape and opened up the box and the buyer picked up the rifle and was looking it over. Dealer took the gun back to do the paperwork and opened the action (Ruger 44 mag semi), and a round flew out

. . . but because I read INGO I know that ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED (yes, even the guns right off the truck from Ruger) so we followed THE FOUR RULES and everyone was safe because we followed them same as we do every day.

:horse:

Does not matter where the gun is, it is loaded.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes, but more common that you suspect.

It does not matter though as ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.*

*No, you do not have "common sense." "Common sense" would dictate that you do not ship loaded guns. Doesn't matter as, 1) you don't have common sense and no one else does either, 2) The Four Rules Always Apply . . . even in a gun store.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    This is a new one to me, but heck for the cost of a ruger compared to what you get, a guess a half case of ammo should come with it ;-)

I don't think I've been in a store yet where they don't have stories (or a container of assorted ammo) where a trade in came in loaded. I think its scarily comical that many people rack the slide on a semi-auto before dropping the magazine. I can't count how many times I've seen people load a pistol because they pulled the slide back to check and see if the chamber is empty, only to discover that the magazine was loaded.

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    Wow I guess I didnt realize this happened soo much. Especially shipping firearms. Glad it ended with u posting from your living room. The gun is always loaded!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    That could have been a very unhappy ending. The .44 would leave a heck of a mark.

Yeah, and they were HPs also. Might even have smarted a bit.

Makes you want to take a drive to slap the shipper. Multiple times. Don't care how much it costs. Just slap the **** out of him.

Or take the ammo and insert it manually into his 5th point of contact, after removing his head first.

. . . but because I read INGO I know that ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED (yes, even the guns right off the truck from Ruger) so we followed THE FOUR RULES and everyone was safe because we followed them same as we do every day.

:horse:

Does not matter where the gun is, it is loaded.

:yesway: Most of the shops I visit have the long guns in racks out on the floor. I even leave the action open after looking at them. Makes it easier for the next person to check it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :eek::eek: wow! I have seen it many times with people walking in to trade or sell, but to have shipped it loaded, wow!

Very glad to hear nobody got hurt.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    MORON!!! Stupididity at it's finest!...how do you not open the action just to look one more time before you box it up? I would report that to gunbroker and see if they do could do anything about it.

Top Bottom