• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I have been reading a lot about US cleaning. So I purchased the Hornaday cleaner. I ran my first batch of 100 brass last night using Jason Baneys recipe from Accurateshooter.com.

These are simple household products. Cheap easy and pretty impressed with 43 min cycle.

Anyone else using this method, or have any home made witches brew?

Thoughts, suggestions, Pros or Cons?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I switched from ceramic tumbling media to an ultrasonic cleaner, then switched to stainless media in a rotary tumbler after seeing it work the first time.

The Hornady solution works fairly decent, even when diluted more than their recommendation. Dawn dishwashing liquid in a mild concentration works well, with a bit of Lemishine.

Of course, you could always save your money on the ultrasonic cleaner - if you've got a watertight bowl on your vibratory tumbler. I can't tell any difference whatsoever between a 15-20 minute run in the ultrasound vs. a 60 minute run in the vibratory with the same solution.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I ran:
    50% water (distilled) 50% vinager 24 min
    3 cups water, 16 gns baking soda- 480 sec
    3 cups water HOT- 480 sec
    3 cups cold water- 480 sec

Dried with compressed air. Nickle like new. Brass very clean, but streaked.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    This ^^^^

It is absolutely the BEST method of tumbling/cleaning brass. You will get spotless, shiny brass inside and out.

I purchased the Lyman Turbo 1200 Pro Flo last night. Upon arrival I will have to find some stainless media and give it a try.
    I've also heard usuing corn media with a fabric softener is the Shiznit too.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I purchased the Lyman Turbo 1200 Pro Flo last night. Upon arrival I will have to find some stainless media and give it a try.
    I've also heard usuing corn media with a fabric softener is the Shiznit too.

Sorry to tell you this, but your Lyman is going to be worthless for this. You MUST use a rotary tumbler with the SS media.

ETA, start at this thread, and follow the links, and read, read, read. If you want the media source I think I may still have his info somewhere. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...your_brass_to_look_better_than_brand_new.html

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I use an Ultra Sonic cleaner at work to clean military/medical parts prior to shipping and it works well to remove any coolant and oil residue. It won't polish brass like a tumbler though. Ultra Sonic worked wonders on my m1 garand parts.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Does Stainless media stick on the inside of oily cases? I like the ultrasonic cleaning but I do miss the excellent shine of a tumbler.
    Main reason I switched was to eliminate any chance of media staying in the case

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Does Stainless media stick on the inside of oily cases?

With the larger stuff (30 cal +): using a mixture of Dawn and Lemishine - it will cut Imperial/Unique wax and ATF off the new cases I form in 20 minutes or less. After an hour, it makes them look like they came formed that way from the factory.

Haven't got around to using it on anything smaller than 30 cal yet.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If you go with Stainless Steel Media, purchase it from here.

Stainless, Zinc, Aluminum and Copper Cut Wire Shot - Pellets, LLC

Ask for Kathy Reitz. The product you want is SCW-41 X .265. 15 pounds delivered USPS Priority Mail cost me $70.40. This is the best price going on this type of media. You MUST use a rotary tumbler for this. A vibratory tumbler will not work because the media is too heavy and you must use liquid. Water, "Dawn" dishwashing liquid, and a product called "Lemi-Shine". All are avaliable at Wal-Mart.

I also have a Ultrasonic Cleaner. While this works well for cleaning range pick up brass before resizing, it is nowhere near as good as Stainless Steel Media which will clean your brass to like new condition inside and out including the inside of the primer pockets. The .040 dia. wire shot passes through the flash hole without getting stuck like ground corn cob can and does. It is simply the best method for cleaning cartridge brass going.

I'm going to purchase a small mixer with a plastic barrel to upscale the whole process.

Northern Industrial Portable Cement Mixer with Poly Drum — 2 Cubic Ft., 250 Watt, Model# PCM185 | Cement Mixers | Northern Tool + Equipment

That is why I purchased 15 pounds, and may need more. Another thing about Stainless Steel Media is it lasts indefinitely, and almost never has to be replaced. Bill T.

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I have tried several recipes and have settled on Citranox (1 tablespoon per about a half gallon of water). Turn the heater on and run a batch of 100 cases (handgun) for 12 minutes. Wash off and let them dry. The US cleaner really does a great job of cleaning the inside of cases as well as the primer pocket.

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Hornady solution?

I also recently purchased the Hornady US cleaner but they (midway) were out of the Hornady branded cleaning solution. I've tried a couple a homebrew as well as some solution I picked up at Harbour Freight with mixed results. Has anyone used the Hornady solution? Wondering if I should try to locate some or just keep experimenting with home brews.

thanks.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I ran:
    50% water (distilled) 50% vinager 24 min
    3 cups water, 16 gns baking soda- 480 sec
    3 cups water HOT- 480 sec
    3 cups cold water- 480 sec

Dried with compressed air. Nickle like new. Brass very clean, but streaked.

Try using heat to dry the brass. I have had good luck with 15 minutes in the oven at 200 degrees.

Personally I dont have an ultrasonic cleaner yet. I simply use the following solution, agitating by hand a minute at a time, every few minutes. The time per step gets less as it progresses, but I dont consistently monitor the time.

60% Vinegar, 40% water, squirt of Dawn Dish Soap
    Rinse
    Water with a large scoop of baking soda
    Rinse
    Rinse
    Warm water
    Rinse with warm water

15 minutes spread on a cookie sheet (I put foil over it so the woman dont yell at me :rolleyes:) at 200 degrees. Wait a few minutes for them to cool, and you are ready to go!

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Try using heat to dry the brass. I have had good luck with 15 minutes in the oven at 200 degrees.

Personally I dont have an ultrasonic cleaner yet. I simply use the following solution, agitating by hand a minute at a time, every few minutes. The time per step gets less as it progresses, but I dont consistently monitor the time.

60% Vinegar, 40% water, squirt of Dawn Dish Soap
    Rinse
    Water with a large scoop of baking soda
    Rinse
    Rinse
    Warm water
    Rinse with warm water

15 minutes spread on a cookie sheet (I put foil over it so the woman dont yell at me :rolleyes:) at 200 degrees. Wait a few minutes for them to cool, and you are ready to go!

Well now Joshua! Sounds like your making love the brass not the wife!:D
    just kidding!
    Hell, for US cleaning sounds like too much work!? (Like a wife). I'm ready to go back to the tumbler, fill, turn on- add dryer sheet (collects media from case and primer pocket) go to bed. Wake up and reload! EASY! :rockwoot:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Another vote for the SS media route here. I converted a dryer to a tumbler and tumble a 5 gallon bucket at a time.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The problem with Ultrasonic case cleaning is it will get them clean, but they will remain duller than a concession speech by Nancy Pelosi. If you want shine to go with clean you've got to go with Stainless Steel Media. There is just no other way. Ultrasonic will not 100% clean the primer pockets and flash holes either, regardless of the type of solution used, and I've tried everything. Also, if you do go with an Ultrasonic Cleaner get it from Harbor Freight not Hornady. Both units are made in China and are equal in regard to overall quality. Hornady just charges $30.00 more for the same capacity unit. Bill T.

Top Bottom