• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    I haven't seen anything on here about this, but I am relatively new on the site, so forgive me if this is a re-run. I had read up on various forums about the technique and though I'd give it a shot. I followed the advice on one and watched on E-bay until I found a tank cheaper than the Harbor Freight special.

I did the first test runs with a 30%/70% vinegar water solution and that is what the case photos show. It got the outside just a touch below tumbling as for finish, but the inside and primer pockets were spotless. While the finish was good, you need to neutralize the vinegar with a baking soda solution and then rinse so there were more steps involved this way.

More reading lead to the current mix of citric acid. It has no offensive odor (at least to me) and can simply be rinsed when done rather than the extra neutralizing step. The cases clean just as well if not slightly better on the finish. I mixed 1 1/2 cups of the citric acid crystals in 3/4 gallon of water. This did nearly 2000 cases with no loss of effectiveness on the last batch.

Here are my observations from the experience:

Some say that you are limited to small batches. I did the 2000 in four batches for 1/2 hour each. It ranged from 9mm to .308. I saw no batch limitation other than what fit in the tank hopper.

Rather than get beakers or run smaller batches I filled the tank to the line and used my hoppers which are simply food storage containers from the grocery store that I drilled a bunch of 3/16" holes in to allow the solution in and out. This makes it easy to fill and have the next batch ready to dip.

If you were doing smaller batches you can fill the tank partially full of water and put smaller solid bottom hoppers with the brass and solution isolated and the sound waves will still do the work for you.

I don't think that you can use this as a replacement for tumbling altogether, but when it hits the tumbler pretty much clean to begin with the time in the media is minimal at best (1/2 hour or so)

There is very little mess since the liquid contains what would otherwise be dust. You can keep the solution by letting the particulate settle out and pouring off the relatively clean remainder, but the citric acid is so cheap I don't think it is worth it.

Be sure that your hoppers hold the brass off of the bottom of the stainless tank or you can damage the cleaner itself. Just by chance the containers I got were perfect with both the depth and the lip on the top creating the perfect shelf to hang them from.

I deprimed it all before cleaning so that there were no blind spots or pockets to trap and hold moisture when done.

Some have complained about the drying time after cleaning. I simply took them out from under the sink when I did the hot water rinse and laid them out on some old bath towels to dry overnight. A small fan blowing over the batch helps out a bunch. If you need them quicker you could rinse in alcohol and/or put them in a low temp oven to speed the process. Remember that too hot and you can change the properties of the brass and create a bunch of nice clean scrap!

Here is the tank (empty) with the large hopper in it.
    DSCF1012.jpg

Here is the tank with the small hopper in it.
    DSCF1006.jpg

Here is the brass from the vinegar test.
    DSCF0049.jpg

Here is the brass again from the vinegar test in the same order top to bottom.
    DSCF0052.jpg

I realized later that I didn't take any photos of the primer pockets. I guess I was just too happy with the results and was working to clean the stuff, not thinking of writing up an article at the time. These were just to e-mail to my dad to show him.

There are several other forum discussions that show that as well. Here is a link that got me going.

UltraSonic Case Cleaning

I hope this can help out some others with a different way to do some case cleaning. I found it very easy and pretty cheap. I found the cleaner for $45 shipped to me and the citric acid works out to about $3 per pound if you get in in bulk. My $50 investment in it will do more than I will ever clean!

By the way:

Thanks INGO for all the hard work to give us a place to share ideas with others like this.

Steve (Modhydro)

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    I have found that drying the cases in a cheap plastic food dehydrator works great. It's a low dry heat that drys them quickly, and you don't have to worry about overheating them at all. A five shelf units holds a lot of cases.

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Ultrasonic cleaner

Stu,

It is the one in the photos, the Healthsonics. If you watch on e-bay there are lots of used ones that come up. Branson is a brand that I remember seeing quite a bit. I actually had bought a Harbor Freight one when they were on sale, but I took it back when I got the "new" one. It is just a lot more sturdy and seems to agitate the solution far more aggresively.

Steve

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    First cleaning test

That was just being too anxious to get them into the tank and see what was going to work. I just wasn't patient enough and had to see the results I guess. When I did the actual full batches they were all de-primed.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    This will be my first post. I have significant experience with ultrasonic cleaners. I reload 5.7 x 28, and the cases have a lacquer coating and cannot be tumbled, so an ultrasonic cleaner works best. Those of us that reload this caliber have found that Simple Green works really well as a cleaning solution. I mix mine 50/50 with water and run a 15 minute cycle in the ultrasonic.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Hornaday new sonic cleaner is due out anytime,supply houses are locking in on a $99 price point. However a warehouse in aubernhills mi.has the same cleaner in basic white for 70+. check Sterlingtimes Sonics.com.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Simple green? I'm going to have to try this, no more cleaning up corn cob media. I just ordered one on Ebay, I'm really curious to see how well it works. Any other ideas about cleaning solution?

This will be my first post. I have significant experience with ultrasonic cleaners. I reload 5.7 x 28, and the cases have a lacquer coating and cannot be tumbled, so an ultrasonic cleaner works best. Those of us that reload this caliber have found that Simple Green works really well as a cleaning solution. I mix mine 50/50 with water and run a 15 minute cycle in the ultrasonic.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I bought an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor freight this weekend, 2.5 liter capacity for $60.

Tried the vinegar solution and while it works, some of my primer pockets still aren't clean after a half hour. Any suggestions? I'm using distilled vinegar 30% with water, I'm using food bins like the OP and covering the brass completely.

I'd like to try the citric acid, where did you get it in bulk? I may try simple green too just to see what works best for me.

FYI, I'm cleaning .45colt cases that are pretty dirty, but not atrocious. The outside of the case is clean and quite a few have clean insides, just not as clean as the OP or the linked article.

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Citric acid

Here is a link to what I got from Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Citric-Acid-Lemon-Salt-Pounds/dp/B000OZFECU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1270428358&sr=8-12"]Citric Acid (Lemon Salt) 5 Pounds Bulk: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

I guess your pockes must be a little more burned on than mine were. Did you try an extended time cycle? When I do my batches I stir up the container a couple of times just to be sure things are seeing fresh solution. I did notice that the cleaner that I have seems to make to solution vibrate more violently than the Harbor Freight ones, but it should still do the job.

Steve

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the link. I ran 5 cycles at 6min each. Perhaps the Harbor Freight unit isn't up to snuff. Some of the pockets do get clean, perhaps after 10 years of not cleaning them, it's just gonna take some time? I'll run some of the newer .45ACP & 9mm through it to see.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Give the Simple green a try. With standard cases you can bump up the concentration if you want. When I do 5.7 x 28 I have to be careful because the cases are lacquered, so I dilute the product significantly and it still works very well.

Top Bottom