• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheenix42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Spotted a pistol today that looked like a 1911 style .45, but it had the marking '.38 Super' on the side.

I'm not familiar with this cartridge...anyone have info?:dunno:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Its like a long semi rimmed 9mm, lots of speed, If you are interested in this round I would suggest something in 9x23 winchester, same potential without the risks of the rim

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I have had 5 guns in .38 Super. It is a fantastic versitile cartridge. It has been around since the 30's and was given a rebirth in the mid to late 80's when IPSC shooters realized that it could be loaded to major and you could fit a bunch of them into the magazine. .38 Super (or its variations) are by far the dominant round in Open class USPSA and IPSC.

It is a .356 bullet though most people use 9mm (.355) bullets. Depending on the bullet wieght it can be loaded from about 900fps up to 1,500 fps. It is a 1/10 of an inch longer than 9mm, but straight walled. It does have a semi rim, though I have never had any problems with the rims. Some of the variations such as .38 Super Comp, .38 TJ, and others are very similiar but without the rim. I have loaded it down to about 95 PF for my steel guns and up to 185 PF in my Open IPSC guns. It is a great round, but it is gonna be specific to those that load their own. You can find factory loads for it, but they wont be cheap.

It is also IMO the single most accurate round to be found in a pistol. I'll put any of my Supers up against any .45 ever made, any day of the week. Rhino and Slow1911's can both attest to seeing a number of 1" 50 yd. groups from various 1911's in .38 Super.

If I could only have 1 gun, I would pick a Super without any hesitation.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Its like a long semi rimmed 9mm, lots of speed, If you are interested in this round I would suggest something in 9x23 winchester, same potential without the risks of the rim

You might find it a little hard to buy a 9x23 at a local gun shop. I have never come across one and have been looking (not very diligently though) for years. 38Supers, while not common, are much easier to locate.

I use Starline 38 super comp and have had no problems with it at all.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is also IMO the single most accurate round to be found in a pistol. I'll put any of my Supers up against any .45 ever made, any day of the week. Rhino and Slow1911's can both attest to seeing a number of 1" 50 yd. groups from various 1911's in .38 Super.

If I could only have 1 gun, I would pick a Super without any hesitation.

+1 Super is a doll when loaded for soft, target rounds and can roar when loaded for bear. Versatile and accurate - what's not to love (other than it isn't as common as 9x19, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.) But, if you load your own, that isn't an issue.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've got a very rare sub-cpmpact Detonics Combat Master in 38 Super. Interesting round. Very popular in some of the Latin America countries but not popular here in the USA. Some nations, like Mexico, forbid citizens from owning guns in 'military' caliber, so while the Colt 1911 pattern guns are very popular in Mexico, they can't be had in 45acp. The 38 Super chambering is probably the most popular auto chambering south of Texas for this very reason. They function very well in 1911 pistols with minimal changes to the guns.

Sadly, very few shops carry ammo in the 38 Super so mail order is the easiest way to get a decent variety.

Top Bottom