• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    So was he really shot 41 times like the title of the thread states? From the article:
    Investigators are trying to piece together what happened after a 30-minute high-speed chase in Texas ended with a police officer allegedly shooting at a possibly unarmed suspect 41 times.

The Dallas Morning News reports that officer Patrick Tuter of the Garland Police Department is currently on restricted duty following the late August incident, in which he allegedly rammed his car into Michael Vincent Allen's truck before pulling out a semiautomatic weapon and firing off 41 rounds.

Agreed. I wasn't there nor have I ever been in a gun fight, so I'm not going to be so quick to pass judgement on this officer. Yes, 41 rounds fired sounds excessive, but we don't know the conditions of the fight.

As far as the video goes, I feel pity for the families loss, but put no weight in what the father said about his sons character. Of course "he was a good boy, and just running from the police because he was scared" :laugh:.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    LOL at this thread so far. Some of you need to wait for more details lol.

This is my favorite typical type of statement we hear in just about every shooting.

"Although their son had previous run-ins with the law for drug possession and evading the police, Allen's parents told CBS he was a well-liked person and a father of a 4-year-old girl."

I bet a story somewhere says "he was such a good boy".

Agree, or that he was in the process of turning his life around, if only .... Im still waiting for the rest. Or as pointed out, he was shot AT 41 times, how many times was he hit, the car hit, etc. Another posted that the girlfriend was not hit, so apparently he wasn't too bad a shot.

kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    With todays amount of prescription medication/overmedication...no telling if he even felt the first 40 rounds...if he continues to advance and display holstile actions, Police have to continue to use the necessary force to ensure the publics safety.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Still looking for more details on this. I do have issue with the phone grab but he should have zipped his lip about it or sent a copy to the computer.

Robgoody6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Greensburg
    Seems alot of people are overlooking this key piece of info:
    "A witness told the news outlet he was awakened by the shots and took pictures and video of what unfolded on his cell phone. However, the man claims the Mesquite police took his phone and deleted the footage before returning the device four days later. "

If the police had nothing to hide then why did they ILLEGALLY confiscate the witness's cel phone and delete the footage ala NAZI style?

Media don't get it wrong. "Third Partries" don't lie for attention. That is not saying there are not "Bad Cops", but the first two statements are more liking to be false than a whole department being corrupt. But bad cop stories sell and some people believe everything they read at face value.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Still looking for more details on this. I do have issue with the phone grab but he should have zipped his lip about it or sent a copy to the computer.

Everything else aside, who doesn't have their phone set to automatically back up images and video? My files end up in two remote locations as soon as bandwidth permits because I hate losing data. Maybe I'm just a paranoid hoarder, but storage is so cheap these days why not?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This does seem a bit excessive to us lay people, but who knows. 41 shots fired by you and none by the other guy?

Allen's parents told CBS he was a well-liked person and a father of a 4-year-old girl.
    This seals it, police are in the wrong

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Media don't get it wrong. "Third Partries" don't lie for attention. That is not saying there are not "Bad Cops", but the first two statements are more liking to be false than a whole department being corrupt. But bad cop stories sell and some people believe everything they read at face value.

We'll just wait for the internal investigation. That way we'll have the true unbiased story.

Was the witness to the "end" of the shooting the suspects father or nieghbor? There is an unbias opinion.

Evidence /= opinion

It may not be the whole story, but it's not an opinion.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    LOL at this thread so far. Some of you need to wait for more details lol.

This is my favorite typical type of statement we hear in just about every shooting.

"Although their son had previous run-ins with the law for drug possession and evading the police, Allen's parents told CBS he was a well-liked person and a father of a 4-year-old girl."

I bet a story somewhere says "he was such a good boy".
    Just about every one he's a circle of friends that like them. Even Adolf Hitler had a girlfriend that eas probably attracted to his warm fuzzy side. Saying he was liked
    is not saying much.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everything else aside, who doesn't have their phone set to automatically back up images and video? My files end up in two remote locations as soon as bandwidth permits because I hate losing data. Maybe I'm just a paranoid hoarder, but storage is so cheap these days why not?

I do not use my phone but for text and calls. Can check e-mail and such so no need to back it up but you make a good point. If you have it, use it.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just about every one he's a circle of friends that like them. Even Adolf Hitler had a girlfriend that eas probably attracted to his warm fuzzy side. Saying he was liked
    is not saying much.

It's just funny that every story like this has to have such a quote. They must teach it in journalism school or something.

Must have the required "he was such a good kid" or "never expected it to happen in this town" quotes from family member or random neighbor.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    17+17+17 = normal carry for on duty officer in a g17. where did the chambered round end up? did he miss 11 times?

it didn't say if he emptied all magazines? :dunno:

Also its says "Investigators are trying to piece together what happened after a 30-minute high-speed chase in Texas ended with a police officer allegedly shooting at a possibly unarmed suspect 41 times."

Of course the parents are going to say he didn't have a gun and how great of person he is.

Ill wait until the facts come out to make a decision on what was unnecessary and what was justified.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Reminds me of a line from an Eastwood fllick, "Unforgiven." Clint walks into the cathouse/saloon and pops the ower. Some guy says, "He didn't have a gun." Clint replied, "He should got one" or words to that effect. 41 times.....what's with that?

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    From the article. but his girlfriend -- who is said to have been in the truck at the time -- came out unharmed. Either she was or wasn't, this seems a bit vague and as odd as the rest of this. Maybe she was the cops ex-girlfriend.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Something stinks here in my humble opinion. 1) Unless the media report was wrong (50/50 chance) the perp didn't have any record of "violent" crime nor was any weapon shown, therefore was deadly force necessary? 2) Per the report the vehicles were in close proximity (corrected report said patrolman rammed the perp), Therefore why was 41 shots required to subdue the perp? After emptying one 17 round clip at a range of less than 20' if I couldn't hit the perp, I think I would throw the gun at him! 3) Evidence being concealed is never legal, that a police department would do it is incriminating in itself. I have friends that are officers and my late FIL was also a part time marshal, none of my friends would ever do that even to protect a fellow officer. Any officer that does that should in my opinion be imprisoned for aiding and abetting a felony. Hope more information is forthcoming that clears up this case and either the officer is exonerated with some proof that his life was in fact in danger or he is imprisoned.

Top Bottom