• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    what type of items do you see at sams club you think would be valuable for a SHTF event be it short or long term besides the obvious things like water, flashlights, etc. just to start it off I'll throw salt and pepper packets and ketchup, mustard, mayo packets in the mix. IMO fantastic trade material and must easier to "weigh" out than it's bulk or bottled counterparts. anything else?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Chef Boyardee by the case!

We get spices/seasoning in the "restaurant" size and freeze or vacuum pack them.

Also, baby wipes by the hundreds. Saline solution and general "medicine cabinet" stuff in bulk. Vitamins, too.

If you are thinking bartering, then hard candies by the gallon bucket.

Sams is a great place for a prepper.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For me, I buy a case of corn, green beans, & peas every time I go. They last a good long time. I also buy the canned chicken and canned beef.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    guys that is all mostly the more obvious stuff. I guess I should have made it more for trading and money alternative value.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Trading:

Pesticides, rodent killers, SEEDS (VERY VALUABLE!!!!!!!!!!), gasoline, generators, water, canned food........some basic 1st aid kits

some meds (vitamins) {some mexican stores carry mexican medicine. I know, cause i'm mexican :rockwoot:. But they carry meds for like stomach ache, fever, and some other strong meds. But Pain killers, diarreah meds, stomach ache, fever meds, etc.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    Of you have the major bases covered there are a few things that would be good to have on hand that most people do not think about:

Decks of Cards - When power is out and there is nothing else to do most people play cards and board games. Having extra decks for trade or gifts make sense to me.

Small Bibles - If SHTF you would be surprised how many people would want to have someone read the bible to them or get their hands on one for themselves. I have read many stories about how people going through hurricanes and tornado aftermaths have been very grateful to receive a bible.

Paperbacks - Most people on here like to read, I doubt that would change if things went bad.

Hard Candy - It is a moral booster in a little wrapper that lasts forever. Don't overlook it.

Popcorn - It is a treat that fills the stomach. Easy to make over a fire and most people love it.

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head,

Lynn

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I like the ideas of things to trade and barter. Storage space is very limited for us, so, keeping extra things to trade/barter is low on MY list. However, I plan to use the SKILLS I have learned to be able to obtain those items like candy, puzzles and beer.

Sams,club is a great place for many items, (genny) but, if you have a GFS near you its worth the time to stop in and check them out. They DO NOT require a membership and they carry lots of the things that have been mentioned in this thread, cleaning supplies, candy,paper products, spices, things used in resturants. I have even found many dry goods there that are ready to seal and store.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom