• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Have there been any incidents (preferably in Indiana) involving someone under 21 with a CC involved in a shooting?

I carry one at work, but I dont have my own and i'm trying to convince my dad to gift me one. I'm 20, I've had my CC since I was 19.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    you could just buy one from a Private individual. I'm not aware of any instances of a legal handgun holder under the age of 21. I do know of a lot of under 21 instances where the person did not have a LTCH...

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    1. You have a LTCH not a CC

2. As previously stated you can purchase from an individual (i.e. INGO classifieds when you hit 50 posts)

3. Who's firearm do you carry at work, is it company owned?

4. Why are you asking about shootings involving carriers under 21? Planning on shooting somebody up?

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    probable because his father used the same line mine did." your too young and im afraid youll shoot someone."

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I cant buy a gun because I'm not 21. I'm lost.

1. You have a LTCH not a CC

2. As previously stated you can purchase from an individual (i.e. INGO classifieds when you hit 50 posts)

3. Who's firearm do you carry at work, is it company owned?

4. Why are you asking about shootings involving carriers under 21? Planning on shooting somebody up?
    1. Well yea but I didnt think I would offend anyone. Most people that I know of just refer to it as a CC or CCW. I know its not technically right but I didnt think it to be offensive..

2. I can't because I dont have a FFL and I'm not 21.

3.It's my bosses? I work at a small tattoo shop. I don't know what it'd be classified as. He used to be a police officer and my license says "...any handgun lawfully possessed.."

4. No. Why would I ask about young people defending themselves if I wanted to shoot people up? I like being informed about the in's and out's of protecting myself. That is why I am on these forums. Weird huh?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Anyone over 18 can buy a handgun from a private individual, just not from a FFL, at 20 you CAN buy a handgun legally, Face to Face sales are legal in Indiana

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    FFL means Federal Firearms License. This is what dealers have. You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL and 18 to purchase a long gun from an FFL. You can legally buy a handgun from a regular joe at the age of 18.

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I had a similar instance when I was younger. I got my permit at 18 and did a private sale with a friend of mine for something cheap to carry. When I turned 21 I was able to get something I really wanted. You've found the right place though. I wish I had a resource like INGunOwners when I was younger.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Actually I'm in school for Homeland Security with a Conservation Law minor, so I was wanting to use gun for a class as well (Pre-Basic, its the training reservists get). There are other defensive courses I could take on my own time. I have no problem with training. Haha Once again, I've had a LTCH for about a year.

You guys are awesome. I didnt know about the private sales thing. Does anyone know the statute so I can show him?

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I cant buy a gun because I'm not 21. I'm lost.

1. Well yea but I didnt think I would offend anyone. Most people that I know of just refer to it as a CC or CCW. I know its not technically right but I didnt think it to be offensive..

2. I can't because I dont have a FFL and I'm not 21.

3.It's my bosses? I work at a small tattoo shop. I don't know what it'd be classified as. He used to be a police officer and my license says "...any handgun lawfully possessed.."

4. No. Why would I ask about young people defending themselves if I wanted to shoot people up? I like being informed about the in's and out's of protecting myself. That is why I am on these forums. Weird huh?

Not busting your balls just trying to clear a few things up. I mentioned the LTCH vs. CC thing because it is a relevant issue if you are trying to pursued dear ol' dad that you are responsible enough to carry a gun (trust me speaking from personal experience.) If you aren't 100% confident and right in quoting the law etc etc he won't be either, and if he's like some in my family he'll look it up to prove you wrong. Using proper terms and codes etc. is always helpful in a discussion or debate, and educate your buddies who call it otherwise. There are some not so great stereotypes about gun owners/carriers not limited to but including: dumb rednecks, dumb gang bangers, total wackjobs... the list goes on. The point being that we have to as a community continue to demonstrate our knowledge of the laws especially the name of the permit that allows us to carry. Our ability to communicate to the general public in a knowledgeable fashion will go a long way in soothing over some of these stereotypes that lead to infringements on our rights.

Sorry for the rant, just want you to understand where I was coming from.

As far as purchasing a gun, you are welcome to from an individual as stated by previous posters. Just make sure if you are living at home that pops ok's you buying a gun. It's not worth getting kicked out over, or trying to hide (again speaking from experience.)

Have you articulated to the Old Man why you want to / feel the need to carry a firearm? and "Because I can." May work here on the net, but when actually trying to convince someone my guess is it ain't gonna fly.

In regards to incidents with people under the age of 21, watch the news. They happen all the time. However they rarely involve a legally owned or carried firearm. #1 way to defend yourself is planning and situational awareness. Again not trying to bust balls, just trying to help. Took me a while to figure some of this stuff out, and I learned the hard way. (If you want more free advice pm me:D)

Welcome, glad to have here :ingo:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Does anyone know the statute so I can show him?
    IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

This matches the Federal age for everyone that is not an FFL.
    FFLs alone are further restricted by Federal law from handgun sales to anyone under 21.

Then some states impose further restrictions as well, but not Indiana.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Not busting your balls just trying to clear a few things up. I mentioned the LTCH vs. CC thing because it is a relevant issue if you are trying to pursued dear ol' dad that you are responsible enough to carry a gun (trust me speaking from personal experience.) If you aren't 100% confident and right in quoting the law etc etc he won't be either, and if he's like some in my family he'll look it up to prove you wrong. Using proper terms and codes etc. is always helpful in a discussion or debate, and educate your buddies who call it otherwise. There are some not so great stereotypes about gun owners/carriers not limited to but including: dumb rednecks, dumb gang bangers, total wackjobs... the list goes on. The point being that we have to as a community continue to demonstrate our knowledge of the laws especially the name of the permit that allows us to carry. Our ability to communicate to the general public in a knowledgeable fashion will go a long way in soothing over some of these stereotypes that lead to infringements on our rights.

Sorry for the rant, just want you to understand where I was coming from.

As far as purchasing a gun, you are welcome to from an individual as stated by previous posters. Just make sure if you are living at home that pops ok's you buying a gun. It's not worth getting kicked out over, or trying to hide (again speaking from experience.)

Have you articulated to the Old Man why you want to / feel the need to carry a firearm? and "Because I can." May work here on the net, but when actually trying to convince someone my guess is it ain't gonna fly.

In regards to incidents with people under the age of 21, watch the news. They happen all the time. However they rarely involve a legally owned or carried firearm. #1 way to defend yourself is planning and situational awareness. Again not trying to bust balls, just trying to help. Took me a while to figure some of this stuff out, and I learned the hard way. (If you want more free advice pm me:D)

Welcome, glad to have here :ingo:
    Ok it totally came off like you were trying to be some internet-operator.

To be honest, he probably doesn't even know how to look up the laws. He just asks one of his friends (Police Officers/Conservation Officers). As I mentioned earlier, I already have my LTCH and I'm in school for law enforcement. I know all about having to look up stuff. I know so much about it, its not a neat trick to prove family members wrong anymore, its homework. =p

He has no problem with guns or whatever, I think he is just afraid I'll get myself in trouble with it or he'll get in trouble for getting me one. He's old and stubborn and doesnt listen well though =p If I were to get one, he wouldn't have a problem. He's said he'd go several times to get my one but magically finds reasons to not go.

I work in a tattoo shop next to a biker bar, and on top of that I have that class I could take I mentioned earlier. Like I said, its more of him putting forth effort. I'm more or less trying to give him 0 reasons not to.

I know there is a ton of illegal stuff on the news but that doesn't help my case. xD As far as avoiding situations, I totally get that. I dont think most property is worth a life and I'm REALLY good at defusing things. Haha..

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    Perfect!

*Edit: There isn't a federal that says 21 about citizens right?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom