• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    Looking for a 6-7k diesel genset and would really rather have 4500w I think it would be better as i have diesel trucks and equipment.
    There are NONE under 5 grand
    I am considering getting one from harbor freight and repowering with a yanmar diesel in a bad situation one could use diesel, #1 and #2 oil and even vegetable oil in the summer

Ideas anybody

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    i am finding diesel small engines. 6 to 10 hp lust no generators powered by them
    Interesting. If they will maintain a constant 3600rpm then repower whatever size generator you are wanting.

You peaked my curiosity so I looked at yanmar and they actually make some smaller gens, like you're looking for. Don't have any idea if they are available in in the US though, I had no idea they made engines in that size.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Diesel gens run 1800 rpm.
    Gas runs 3600 rpm.
    Diesels run longer, quieter and hold up better.
    Look for a Gen pack from a semi.
    Usually powered by a Kubota 3 banger diesel. Run forever.

indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    I am curious on the yanmar, I have found several small Diesel engines that turn 3600 rpm. Considering a harbor freight 5500w and repowering it......

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One interesting thing I found when sizing a generator. Buy one 1/3 or more bigger than your max load. (even more if you plan on running dual fuel)

There is a sweet spot that as long as you dont exceed, the engine wont ramp up to full speed. So it will run longer, quieter.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Looking for a 6-7k diesel genset and would really rather have 4500w I think it would be better as i have diesel trucks and equipment.
    There are NONE under 5 grand
    I am considering getting one from harbor freight and repowering with a yanmar diesel in a bad situation one could use diesel, #1 and #2 oil and even vegetable oil in the summer

Ideas anybody
    A ginny for long term and or emergency use is no time to get cheap. Save if need be, and get what you feel is correct.

If I had it to do over I know I would have gone diesel. If I ever have to replace mine before I go, I’ll go with a diesel.

Currently ours is 20 yrs. old. LP slaved to the house tank. Yearly maint. and electronics updates still running fine. You will sleep better at night.

Don’t buy twice. Do it right once.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A ginny for long term and or emergency use is no time to get cheap. Save if need be, and get what you feel is correct.

If I had it to do over I know I would have gone diesel. If I ever have to replace mine before I go, I’ll go with a diesel.

Currently ours is 20 yrs. old. LP slaved to the house tank. Yearly maint. and electronics updates still running fine. You will sleep better at night.

Don’t buy twice. Do it right once.
    Excellent point. Not able to have your AC and gadgets at the campsite is one thing. No heat or lights in the dead of winter is a different matter.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom