• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, the 9mm out of a 3" (or longer) barreled semi-auto has as much "punch", as you say, as the .357 mag out of the 2" barrel you've been carrying.

If you've been comfortable with the 2" Model 60, I don't know why you'd be uncomfortable with a 9mm auto.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My vote is get a trigger job for your mod. 60, but you might want to fire some revolvers with trigger jobs to see if that solves your problem before you make the investment.

:twocents:I carried a 1911 for 30 years and recently went to a 9mm (sig320) because the bone spurs in my shoulder started hurting from .45acp. I found that my follow up shots were measurably faster with 9mm too. For me the choice was about 'tool management', ammo capacity is just a perk--but FWIW more is better. IMO .45 or .40 still have a power threshold that can be uncomfortable. With the newer ammo, 9mm is ADEQUATE. It will do most of what those two can do but with less recoil. Kind like 20G vs. 12G for HD

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As a couple of people have suggested, if you think the 9mm is insufficient don't carry it unless or until you change your mind. If I am going to only carry 7 (give or take 1) rounds in a gun, it is probably going to be .45.

This right here says it all.

If I was to choose only 8ish rounds before reload, I'd go 45 without a doubt. I decided a while back though that I'll have double the rounds in my gun and on my belt. That could very easily be what the threat is that we are up against.

There are other considerations also though. Cost to practice, compatibility with others on guns, gear and ammo, being familiar with common modern firearm platforms, etc.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Which are the 0.355" diameter bullets? Which the .40? Which the .45acp?

Properly designed, modern hollow-point ammunition in duty calibers all perform very close to each other when you take expanded diameter and penetration depth into account. Why? Because that's how they're engineered to perform.

25fndpj.jpg

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Having sold most of my revolvers and switched to semi auto handguns, I had double by pass surgery in one arm, then a complete artery replacement from wrist to armpit in the same arm. I could not rack a semi auto, have switched back to revolvers and for me that is what it will be. With only a handgun, we all are undergunned until we get to a rifle or shotgun.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I, like Steve, grew up with revolvers. My first issue weapon was a Model 10 S&W. We were given the option of carrying what we wanted as long as we qualified with it...I chose a 4" Python and still have it to this day...Do I have 9MM semi auto's? Yes I do...Do I
    carry them? Yes I do at times. But a majority of the time I carry a Ruger SP101 3"...To me, its more about confidence in my carry weapon and skill with my carry weapon than capacity and the other advantages of the semi auto...I am a better shot with the
    revolver (in fact most any revolver) than any 9mm I have tried....Its a choice for each of us and as others have said, carry what you like, are trained with and confident in....you'll be just fine..

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Having seen a whole lot of people shot, I'm caliber agnostic at this point as far as the common duty calibers. Used to be an archbishop in the church of the .45. The simple truth is any of the major duty calibers, using quality ammunition, do their part if you do yours. Ammunition selection matters more than caliber selection at this point. A general recommendation is a heavy-for-caliber hollow-point that retains mass, either through bonding or mechanical locking of the jacket.

I currently carry a 9mm. I'd just as readily carry a .40 or .45, or a .357. The differences are largely angels dancing on pinheads, again assuming you selected a good cartridge.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    .45 because shooting something twice is silly... and it's God's caliber. :)

Just kidding, tongue in cheek, ect...

I used to carry a 3" SP101, never felt undergunned with that sucker but damn it was heavy for its size. Switched to a 3" LCR-X but just didn't like it as much. Friend of mine had a Glock 36 that I tried out and I shot it really well. Have been a revolver guy for years and finally turned to the dark side...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    .45 because shooting something twice is silly... and it's God's caliber. :)

Just kidding, tongue in cheek, ect...

I used to carry a 3" SP101, never felt undergunned with that sucker but damn it was heavy for its size. Switched to a 3" LCR-X but just didn't like it as much. Friend of mine had a Glock 36 that I tried out and I shot it really well. Have been a revolver guy for years and finally turned to the dark side...

I have an SP101 in 3". It barks like a junk yard dog.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Having seen a whole lot of people shot, I'm caliber agnostic at this point as far as the common duty calibers. Used to be an archbishop in the church of the .45. The simple truth is any of the major duty calibers, using quality ammunition, do their part if you do yours. Ammunition selection matters more than caliber selection at this point. A general recommendation is a heavy-for-caliber hollow-point that retains mass, either through bonding or mechanical locking of the jacket.

I currently carry a 9mm. I'd just as readily carry a .40 or .45, or a .357. The differences are largely angels dancing on pinheads, again assuming you selected a good cartridge.

Welcome back, Kotter! Good to have you back in these parts BBI. +1 for "angels dancing on pinheads".

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Adapt to whatever you can manage to hit your target consistently and with the most speed but remember Bigger Holes Leak more Fluids.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    For what it's worth, during my law enforcement career I personally observed and investigated far too many failures of the .38/9mm class guns to carry them as my main combat handgun. I consider them fit only in a BUG capacity.

My personal carry guns includes wheel guns and self-loaders starting with .41 Magnum through .44 Magnum and .45ACP.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Every one here is undergunned. If it doesn't start with a 5 you're wrong!

But seriously, I agree with bbi. All duty calibers will work. The question therein lies on your intention. Penetration, expansion, mass retention, all have more to do with ammo selection than with caliber.
    For the record, I shoot 75% 9mm, 15% 40 sw. 10% 45. I carry a 40. Its the only 40 I have but I know it well. Knowing your weapon is just as if not more important than caliber selection.
    There is nothing wrong with your model 60. Work it up and enjoy the confidence you have in it. Unless you are ready for a change. Tired hands means eventually 6 shots might not be enough. Best regards and hope you find what you are looking for.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For what it's worth, during my law enforcement career I personally observed and investigated far too many failures of the .38/9mm class guns to carry them as my main combat handgun. I consider them fit only in a BUG capacity.

My personal carry guns includes wheel guns and self-loaders starting with .41 Magnum through .44 Magnum and .45ACP.

Are you sure they were failures? Maybe they were just warning shots.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Adapt to whatever you can manage to hit your target consistently and with the most speed but remember Bigger Holes Leak more Fluids.

Probably everybody here has both papercut their thumb and nicked themselves shaving. Similar cut, which one bled more and was harder to control? Size of the hole was irrelevant, wasn't it?

In the context of duty caliber handgun bullets, with some exceptions that's not true. The human body isn't a bucket. It's more of a sponge with a plumbing system. ER docs can't tell the caliber from the wound, and the body wants to swell to seal off the bleed.

Where you will see some differences is mouse calibers that can't overcome the body's ability to swell or "self seal". The pericardium around the heart can seal itself a bit, for example.

I've never seen a .41 magnum used in a real world shooting, but I've investigated a hand full of .44 magnum and a multitude of .45. The occasional 10mm, 5.7fn, etc. Shot placement remained key. Today's 9mm is a far cry from that of decades past. Ball still has a tendency to glance off bone when it hits at an angle, but so does .45. I've seen .45 ball to the chest ride a rib and exit the back, looking like a through-and-through but only causing pain. I've yet to see a JHP 9mm ride a rib or fail to penetrate into the chest cavity.

Larger and faster calibers are great when you are stuck using ball ammo or ammo that will fragment and lose a large chunk of it's mass upon impact. If you're going to lose 30% of your mass, better to start with more mass to make up for it. When your bullet profile is rounded, the extra weight and velocity helps it overcome it's tendency to skip off bone vs penetrate, particularly round bone. Hence the recommendation of wadcutters in certain applications like the .38 j-frame that can't launch a hollow point fast enough to be consistent in penetration and expansion. But we're not stuck with those options today.

.38 LRN sucks. .38+P JHP from a barrel that will put it in the speed envelope it's designed for will do it's part if you do yours. The super-fast/ultra lightweight 9mm that makes impressive energy numbers for the side of the box will do poorly against a forearm strike then into the torso or an oblique shot on a larger target. The 147gr bonded will continue to penetrate to sufficient depth to hit vitals in the exact same shot. Cartridge selection.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    BBI, how in the world are we supposed to talk trash about calibers other than our favorite when you come in here with a bunch of experience, common sense, and real-world examples. Huh, answer me that. It's blasphemous I tell ya.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI, how in the world are we supposed to talk trash about calibers other than our favorite when you come in here with a bunch of experience, common sense, and real-world examples. Huh, answer me that. It's blasphemous I tell ya.

Sorry. 255gr Keith SWC, minimum of 1000 fps. It's the only handgun cartridge in the history of mankind that's actually killed someone. Everyone else who died after being shot just did so as a courtesy so as not to embarrass the shooter for having girly wrists.

Top Bottom