• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I am bringing new 200 amp service to my cabin in Owen county.
    I installed the meter base on a pedestal (see picture) and the installation has been approved so I can continue on.
    The power company, SCIREMC says for further guidance just follow the NEC.
    I have some answers but I was hoping someone here could give me some guidance.
    I intend to trench from the meter base, under my gravel driveway and continue to the corner of the cabin. (see other picture)
    Per NEC table 300.5, I should lay PVC conduit with a depth giving a minimum cover of 18" then cover the conduit with a 12" layer of dirt and a caution ribbon.
    Is 18 cover deep enough? Trenching about 22".
    Does it have to be schedule 80 PVC?
    Is 2" pvc conduit OK?
    From meter box/disconnect, through the conduit and up into the fuse box I will need 75 ft of wire.
    What should the wire type and size be for power wires, neutral and ground? All will be copper. Per Table 310.15 the two feeders should be a red and black 2/0 awg . White neutral 4 awg plus a bare ground.
    One 1/2" x 8' ground rod bonded to breaker box?
    Ground rod at meter had to be over 12" below grade. Same outside the cabin?

Anything I am missing?

Thanks for the help.

Meter box.jpg cabin corner.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    2" conduit will work but can get tight.
    Pay attention to which way you will be stuffing the wire, it will hang up in the bells.
    We use schedule 40pvc.
    As to wire size, we install what the engineers tell us, so I can't help there
    Edit to add- we install min of 3' deep

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Schedule 80 is thicker, the thicker the better. 18 inches is plenty. It's required to go 24 inches under a public road, so you could overkill just a bit and go 24.

A little trick is to blow string through your conduit with an air compressor and use the string to fish your wire.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Always better to go with a bigger pipe, ditto with the air or shop vac on the other end to suck it out. And if your doing one pvc pipe you may want to do a second also for future proofing.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    Always better to go with a bigger pipe, ditto with the air or shop vac on the other end to suck it out. And if your doing one pvc pipe you may want to do a second also for future proofing.
    I totally agree with putting in a second conduit in the trench with a pull rope already inside it for future proofing. Reason being, if you ever want to run a phone or data line from the pole the conduit will be already there and buried.
    Tie a small price of foam or a sponge to the pull rope, and use a shop vac to suck the the pull rope thru to the other end of the conduit.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    .....the two feeders should be a red and black 2/0 awg . White neutral 4 awg plus a bare ground.....

The neutral conductor caries the return current for the 120v equipment and any unbalanced current from 240v equipment, don't think that 4 awg is anywhere close to what you need. Usually a service calculation is performed to determine the neutral current and required wire size.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The neutral conductor caries the return current for the 120v equipment and any unbalanced current from 240v equipment, don't think that 4 awg is anywhere close to what you need. Usually a service calculation is performed to determine the neutral current and required wire size.

Every panel I have ever seen (many more than I can ever remember) always had a like and same sized neutral to supply wire size.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What should the wire type and size be for power wires, neutral and ground? All will be copper. Per Table 310.15 the two feeders should be a red and black 2/0 awg . White neutral 4 awg plus a bare ground.

Where'd you get that?

And I'm not sure you need to run the ground through there - can't that be connected to a rod at the cabin rather than at the meter?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    String is a must. Saves a lot of headache. And if you can't make a "mouse" to blow or suck through the conduit with a sandwich bag then you not a real electrician. :rockwoot:

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    A little trick is to blow string through your conduit with an air compressor and use the string to fish your wire.

I learned that trick with a Vacuum Cleaner they had a rubber thing looked like a Badminton shuttlecock the size of the conduit that was tied to the string then the Vacuum Cleaner could suck it through to the end ... it was about 250 feet - worked like a champ

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Schedule 80 is thicker, the thicker the better. 18 inches is plenty. It's required to go 24 inches under a public road, so you could overkill just a bit and go 24.

shop vac works great too.
    ETA: I should read the whole thread before commenting!

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    2" conduit will work but can get tight.
    Pay attention to which way you will be stuffing the wire, it will hang up in the bells.
    We use schedule 40pvc.
    As to wire size, we install what the engineers tell us, so I can't help there
    Edit to add- we install min of 3' deep

3 foot deep... is that out along the street? That is really deep. I am hoping the depth from a meter to a structure at a private residence can be less than that. Thanks for your comments.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Where'd you get that?
    Mike Holt's illustrated guide to 101 essential NEC rules

And I'm not sure you need to run the ground through there - can't that be connected to a rod at the cabin rather than at the meter?
    I think you are right. Just the 2 hots and a neutral.
    I believe there are two ground rods. One at the remote underground pedestal and another outside the cabin that wires up to the breaker box.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area

NEC table 300.5 agrees with you. 24 under road, 18" otherwise. The string tip, shuttlecock, sponge and sandwich bag are all good ideas. Thanks guys.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Don't need to pipe the whole thing. You could just run 4/0 URD wire (underground residential distribution) and just pipe the rises to the meter and disconnect. WAYYY less of a headache, code compliant, and probably cheaper too. Of course it would need to be in a conduit under the drive, but it doesn't need to be the whole way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom