• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I know I am in the minority, but I ankle carry an LCP every day. That's it. I know all of the disadvantages of ankle carry and I know there are better choices than the .380, but that is my compromise.

I work at a company that doesn't allow carry, and if I were caught, there is a good chance I would be fired. I am a chubby guy and waist carry of any type is uncomfortable for me. I also like the fact I can strap it on first thing in the morning and wear it until I go to bed. I wear it all day, every day.

I can also shoot it fairly well considering how small it is.

I know that in a lot of situations, I would be way outgunned, but I am also weighing my options - comfort, job, ease of carry. It works for me.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Its not difficult or uncomfortable to carry a legit service pistol when you have a jacket or a sweatshirt.

I understand the convenience angle - I do sometimes carry a Shield 9 AIWB under light clothing, but If the weather permits a hoodie, then I move to 3'o clock IWB with my Beretta 92.

A service pistol is a better fighting weapon in every way. If its at all possible for you t carry one then you should.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Doesn't LEOSA exemp you from the signage?

A little googling answered my own question... no, it doesn't.

Yup.

You're still bound by magazine capacity restrictions, ammunition restrictions, off limits areas, etc. Arizona does have an affirmative defense that you are not a resident of the state, I suppose with the argument that if you're not from there you may not know the signs hold the weight of law, but an affirmative defense doesn't mean you can't be arrested for it.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Its not difficult or uncomfortable to carry a legit service pistol when you have a jacket or a sweatshirt.

I understand the convenience angle - I do sometimes carry a Shield 9 AIWB under light clothing, but If the weather permits a hoodie, then I move to 3'o clock IWB with my Beretta 92.

A service pistol is a better fighting weapon in every way. If its at all possible for you t carry one then you should.
    Heck, I carry a 92 with nothing more than a tshirt on. It prints a little, but nothing anyone notices. If I have a button down shirt then it doesn't print at all.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can sympathize with you. I tried carrying a little single stack nine to South Bend awhile back. I almost felt unarmed the entire time. I can carry my Colt Commander in .45 (8+1) and I don't feel like that. I can carry a 9mm with 13+1 and I don't feel like that. But I kept thinking 6 or 7 rounds of 9mm? Dude, what the hell are you doing?
    Last time I was in Southbend, I was carrying a G19, 2 spare mags, a G26, and three knives. I stopped at a gas station just off downtown for a fill-up, and I felt like I didn't bring enough toys to the party! If it wasn't for ND, that town needs flushed!

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I have to admit that I like to carry my shield 9mm over my LCP II (380).

But, I carry my LCP II much more often. It is so very easy to conceal, it is my EDC.

I am not really sure why that is, I shot both well. I have never had a malfunction with either.
    The difference between 9mm and 380 does not bother me for SD.

During my work week its the LCP II, but when I am off work its almost always the Shield.

I can't say I have ever felt under gunned with the LCP.

I have several carry options for both, but for deep cover the LCP wins with me every time.

If there is a place where I think I might need a bigger gun to feel comfortable there, I would figure out how not to go.
    I'm not sure how that would play out in court if it came up. "Well, I had my biggest gun with me because I knew it was a dangerous place". :)

Concerning the OP's story, IMO had your SIL not been present, you might not have given it a second thought.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I know I am in the minority, but I ankle carry an LCP every day. That's it. I know all of the disadvantages of ankle carry and I know there are better choices than the .380, but that is my compromise.

I work at a company that doesn't allow carry, and if I were caught, there is a good chance I would be fired. I am a chubby guy and waist carry of any type is uncomfortable for me. I also like the fact I can strap it on first thing in the morning and wear it until I go to bed. I wear it all day, every day.

I can also shoot it fairly well considering how small it is.

I know that in a lot of situations, I would be way outgunned, but I am also weighing my options - comfort, job, ease of carry. It works for me.

Matt you get a pass from me. Carry on Bro. ALL handguns are a compromise. So long as a person is making an informed decision regarding the compromises they are willing to make then you will never hear me criticize their choices. It is the poorly informed consumer buying micro pocket pistols out of pure convenience that I shake my head at a bit.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Currently in South Carolina where neither of my LTCH's are recognized. Leaving in the morning. Will gun up appropriately when across the border. Have not felt right for days. My hands and hips miss those M&P's.

Side note. Shooting seagulls off the ship on the way to Fort Sumter would have been very cool.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Thinking it over, I realize my thoughts that day were just psychological. I had just come from work, and getting comfortable to meet the family I had secured my primary Glock, G-23 in my vehicle just keeping the G-42 Bug in a pants pocket with the spare mag in the other pocket.
    I agree if I was meting the family somewhere else, I would have stuck the go to Glock in my waistband with a spare mag offside.

I am going to just upgrade for now, swapping out the G-42 I have with the G-43 safe squatter, and see how I feel if ever get in that type of situation again.

As I have mentioned before I "should" just always carry my G-23 everywhere and be done with it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Considering that a firearm is useful for such a TINY percentage of incidents that could occur, I wonder if people feel just as "naked" when they left their physical tactics training behind? You are MUCH more likely to have to deal with a situation that requires NO lethal force. While I carry off-duty, I certainly don't feel unarmed when I fly or travel without my handgun. No firearm does not need to equal unarmed or defenseless.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Considering that a firearm is useful for such a TINY percentage of incidents that could occur, I wonder if people feel just as "naked" when they left their physical tactics training behind? You are MUCH more likely to have to deal with a situation that requires NO lethal force. While I carry off-duty, I certainly don't feel unarmed when I fly or travel without my handgun. No firearm does not need to equal unarmed or defenseless.
    Way to Denny this one up, Denny!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No. I can deal with that stuff armed or not. There are a number of things I cannot deal with without my firearm that I can deal with when I have them. Not the odds I am concerned about but the stakes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No. I can deal with that stuff armed or not. There are a number of things I cannot deal with without my firearm that I can deal with when I have them. Not the odds I am concerned about but the stakes.

Amen.

Chances of needing a gun are small, but if you do need a gun, nothing else will suffice except a bigger gun that shoots more rounds more quickly and more accurately.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In the realm of hand to hand it is easy to judge a book by the cover and be wrong. In a competition they will eventually make the other guy stop. On the street that won't happen.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a few firearms. I try and practice and train when I can. I also try to carry the same firearm in the same place all the time. Have gone to a couple places that did not want me armed so I grabbed the BUG only. That is always odd now.

I don't want to switch positions or platforms because I do not train with every single firearm every time I go shooting.

When I was at the Coach/BBI class last year I had switched to AIWB carry but was still zoned in on 0330 IWB carry. In one of the rounds I reached for an empty slot instead of where I had the gun. I believe that Coach's response was I should just have one in both spots.

Since then I have switched back to 0330 IWB. When I practice I go for where the gun is. I feel more comfortable knowing that it is where it always is and that it is the same gun with the same controls every time.

Top Bottom