• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Millennials have to step up as in a decade the Boomers start retiring. As it sits now, 74% of the young, per PERSCOM, can never be enlisted into the military. That is the large percentage in the history of the nation that have been excluded from military service. Thus the questions as to whether they have the skills needed to work.

Whether they like it or not, they will have to step up.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "It's your civic duty to employ them."

:laugh:

Rush has been pointing out that the democrats are making a big deal about how Obamacare is liberating people from work. That being liberated from work is a benefit.

What does happen in a decade when the Boomers retire? On one hand half of the nation will not be working. That leaves full employment for the young but at the cost of having to support the old.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Rush has been pointing out that the democrats are making a big deal about how Obamacare is liberating people from work. That being liberated from work is a benefit.

What does happen in a decade when the Boomers retire? On one hand half of the nation will not be working. That leaves full employment for the young but at the cost of having to support the old.

They're just re-branding a very discomforting experience. You're not getting laid off, you're being liberated from work! Now you can go home, chin held high, spirits soaring, and apply for other people's money.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The Millennials have to step up as in a decade the Boomers start retiring. As it sits now, 74% of the young, per PERSCOM, can never be enlisted into the military.

300px-Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Whats your source of that 74% statistic?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    300px-Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Whats your source of that 74% statistic?

Um maybe this?

The Millennials have to step up as in a decade the Boomers start retiring. As it sits now, 74% of the young, per PERSCOM, can never be enlisted into the military. That is the large percentage in the history of the nation that have been excluded from military service. Thus the questions as to whether they have the skills needed to work.

Whether they like it or not, they will have to step up.

Apparently we're left to dig through it ourselves to find the reference.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I do not know what PERSCOM is.

A Google search (yeah, I know) doesn't show anything about them reporting 74% of "youth" ineligible to enlist.

The link acetaeon posted has a link to a report by Mission: Readiness, a "onpartisan national security organization of senior retired military leaders calling for smart investments in America’s children. It operates under the umbrella of the nonprofit Council for a Strong America."

Here is a link to a PDF file they published:
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/PDF/unable_to_serve.pdf

Here is some text from that PDF:
    "The Pentagon reports that 75 percent of Americans aged 17 to 24 cannot join the United States military – 26 million young Americans"

There is no citation for this particular claim.

The Mission:Readiness statement attributes ineligibility to the following issues:
    25% ("approx. one in four") ineligible due to no high school diploma
    10% ineligible due to criminal activity
    27% due to being overweight
    32% for health problems other than weight (it discusses asthma - childhood asthma was not a disqualifier for enlistment at least the USAF 2004-2007)

That adds up to 69% not eligible - not including those that lack of high school diploma

All of those figures are attributed to:
    Jack Dilbeck, Research Analyst, United States Army Accessions

Command, Fort Knox, KY. Personal Communication on May 14,2009

I cannot find any text of this "personal communication" from Mr. Dilbeck, and Accessions Command was disbanded in 2012.

Another footnote shows testimony from a Curtis Gilroy at a House Armed Service Subcommittee.
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-111hhrg50088/pdf/CHRG-111hhrg50088.pdf
    Text from that:

"Influencers of youth, for example—Madam Chairwoman, you mentioned that just a moment ago—are much less likely to recommend
    military service to young people today than they did two, three, four years ago—parents, teachers, coaches, guidance counselors.
    And we know that propensity among youth themselves is much less than it is today—than it was two, three, four years ago.

We also know that we have a declining pool of eligible and qualified young people in America today who want to serve, owing mostly
    to health and physical fitness issues and education problems. We have a crisis in this country, don’t we? We have an obesity
    problem amongst our youth, and we have an education crisis as well. Seventy to 75 percent of young people today have a high
    school diploma, a bona fide high school diploma. That is a sad state of affairs.

So when we add all of the qualifiers we find that only 25 percent of our young people today age 17 to 24 are qualified for military
    service. Not a good situation"

So in conclusion:
    I don't doubt any of those reasons listed as being legitimate causes for youth to be ineligible for military service, but I am dubious of the statistics listed - especially since there is ZERO METHODOLOGY noted for how those numbers came to be.

Me? I'm just some guy that was and is perfectly healthy but ruled ineligible for military service due to ocular hypertension...even though I don't have ocular hypertension, I have thick corneas and USAF Opthamology is still operating three decades behind modern science.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not know what PERSCOM is.

A Google search (yeah, I know) doesn't show anything about them reporting 74% of "youth" ineligible to enlist.

The link acetaeon posted has a link to a report by Mission: Readiness, a "onpartisan national security organization of senior retired military leaders calling for smart investments in America’s children. It operates under the umbrella of the nonprofit Council for a Strong America."

Here is a link to a PDF file they published:
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/PDF/unable_to_serve.pdf

Here is some text from that PDF:
    "The Pentagon reports that 75 percent of Americans aged 17 to 24 cannot join the United States military – 26 million young Americans"

There is no citation for this particular claim.

The Mission:Readiness statement attributes ineligibility to the following issues:
    25% ("approx. one in four") ineligible due to no high school diploma
    10% ineligible due to criminal activity
    27% due to being overweight
    32% for health problems other than weight (it discusses asthma - childhood asthma was not a disqualifier for enlistment at least the USAF 2004-2007)

That adds up to 69% not eligible - not including those that lack of high school diploma

All of those figures are attributed to:
    Jack Dilbeck, Research Analyst, United States Army Accessions

Command, Fort Knox, KY. Personal Communication on May 14,2009

I cannot find any text of this "personal communication" from Mr. Dilbeck, and Accessions Command was disbanded in 2012.

Another footnote shows testimony from a Curtis Gilroy at a House Armed Service Subcommittee.
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-111hhrg50088/pdf/CHRG-111hhrg50088.pdf
    Text from that:

"Influencers of youth, for example—Madam Chairwoman, you mentioned that just a moment ago—are much less likely to recommend
    military service to young people today than they did two, three, four years ago—parents, teachers, coaches, guidance counselors.
    And we know that propensity among youth themselves is much less than it is today—than it was two, three, four years ago.

We also know that we have a declining pool of eligible and qualified young people in America today who want to serve, owing mostly
    to health and physical fitness issues and education problems. We have a crisis in this country, don’t we? We have an obesity
    problem amongst our youth, and we have an education crisis as well. Seventy to 75 percent of young people today have a high
    school diploma, a bona fide high school diploma. That is a sad state of affairs.

So when we add all of the qualifiers we find that only 25 percent of our young people today age 17 to 24 are qualified for military
    service. Not a good situation"

So in conclusion:
    I don't doubt any of those reasons listed as being legitimate causes for youth to be ineligible for military service, but I am dubious of the statistics listed - especially since there is ZERO METHODOLOGY noted for how those numbers came to be.

Me? I'm just some guy that was and is perfectly healthy but ruled ineligible for military service due to ocular hypertension...even though I don't have ocular hypertension, I have thick corneas and USAF Opthamology is still operating three decades behind modern science.

PERSCOM is the Army Personnel Command. Ask recruiters how difficult it is to find youth who can meet standards without a waiver. About 5%. With waivers, up to 26%.

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    i am pround of the son i have raised. we were having a discussion about different names for the generations. even though he is classified as a millennial he came up with some great names to classify himself and the group he runs with, all great young men: neo baby boomers, boomers 2.0 (as he says they have improved based on what he has learned from us) and his favorite ultra boomers plus

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Uncoupling healthcare from employment is not necessarily a bad thing. I have a cousin, he is a farmer and his wife is in education. So under the current system their healthcare is though her education job. Her position locally was eliminated, best she could do was another job 200 miles away to keep their healthcare. So they now maintain two homes, live near her job in the winter then live apart in the summer so he can continue farming. Until they are on Medicare, this is what they have to do. Not ideal.

I've looked into starting a business. Given the cost of healthcare, I would have to be crazy to take on that risk with a young family due to the healthcare cost of being self-employed. Not happening. The economy should encourage that. But is should not coddle people who don't want to work and still be paid.

However taxpayers should not take on the cost of healthcare to support such risk-taking. Rather, we should be working on the root cost basis of healthcare to make it more affordable. Obamacare does not do this, at all. Its only solution is to screw providers on reimbursement, which severely limits who will accept the plans and reduces access.

Millenials are stuck in a bad position. Not only have we not equipped them with the skills to succeed, but we've stacked the job market against them. We are in a bad position when experienced boomers retire and we don't have a good base to replace them. Yes, there are some good people in that generation, but as a group....

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I'm 22.

The problems in my generation run deep. Real deep. Primarily we are spoiled and lazy. We were promised 15 years ago that we could do anything in the world. We still can, only it turns out you have to work a little harder for it than you were told. If we weren't so damn lazy this wouldn't be a big deal.

I can't stress this enough: I escaped liberalism. It's a trap. A horrible trap that puts you in a position of logical fallacy. It's the reason my generation is not currently coping with the first few adult problems we've been faced. And mark my words, when our economic system runs out of control and my generation won't have welfare to depend on, we're gonna fall like Argentina in 2001.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I am always rather cynically amused when I hear the parents and grandparents mock the generation they raised for being lazy entitled little brats and then blaming them for not fixing the problems that originated in previous decades. By all means Boomers, enjoy those Social Security checks! I hope eating into my meager paycheck is worth it to ya :laugh:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I am always rather cynically amused when I hear the parents and grandparents mock the generation they raised for being lazy entitled little brats and then blaming them for not fixing the problems that originated in previous decades. By all means Boomers, enjoy those Social Security checks! I hope eating into my meager paycheck is worth it to ya :laugh:

This ^^.. If they were taught properly from a young age they aren't just going to magically become a worthless person as many say they have.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    PERSCOM is the Army Personnel Command. Ask recruiters how difficult it is to find youth who can meet standards without a waiver. About 5%. With waivers, up to 26%.

Your numbers might actually mean something if the qualifications required to enter ever stayed the same.

Just one example. We all know all WW2 and Viet Nam vets were required to have a high school diploma to serve.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Of course the blame does fall with the Boomers who raised these kids. That is not the problem. The problem is that the US has been slowly declining over the last 100 years. We became too prosperous. Wealth destroys a country.

Top Bottom