• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was awakened at 6am by a phone call from my 14 year old daughter. She was distraught and crying and told me that she went out to feed our horse and the gate to the barn was open and she couldn’t find him. I quickly threw on some clothes and met her outside to see what was happening and she told me she was worried someone had taken him. I found this unlikely so I went back inside, removed my thermal scope from my rifle and went out to look for him. I made sure he wasn’t far out in the pasture before checking as far as possible the full 360* around our property and didn’t see him. I called the Sheriff’s department to make sure no one had reported seeing him or God forbid hit him with their vehicle and thankfully they had not.

We jumped in my truck and drove down the road where I parked across the road from our neighbor who has horses. Ours and theirs had hollered back and forth a few times when things were really still so I was hoping to find him there. No such luck but another 360* scan and he stood out like a light bulb several hundred yards west of our property near the next road over. We drove over the next road and I stopped as soon as we could see him in the headlights. Fortunately he came to my daughter when she called him and she was able to walk him back home.

All in all a big win for me and now everyone is happy that I spent the money on this thermal. Fortunately our horse wasn’t hit by a vehicle and didn’t make it to the woods another 1/4 mile farther west of us. I installed a cable to prevent him from being able to push out of the barn again so hopefully I’ll only need to use the thermal for it’s intended purpose from now on which is killing coyotes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's a handy use for that scope, glad everything turned out well. Having grown up around horses I can say that some are pretty smart about getting in and out of buildings and enclosures. I've watched them manipulate door hooks with their lips and then use their nose to open a sliding door into the room where the grain was kept. Like people there's smart ones and dumb ones.:)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So what you're saying is that if I want to justify a thermal scope, I first need to buy a horse.

But if I could afford a horse, I wouldn't need to justify the scope! :D

(Glad it all worked out!)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good for you!

I had the mini manure machine get out on me one morning last year as I was letting her out of the stable into the pasture. She did not willingly come to me. She covered about every inch of the 12 or 14 acres that I and my nearest neighbors inhabit and trotted next to a busy road for a while which had me wondering how big a hole I would have to dig.

Eventually, myself and some neighbors literally corralled her and she calmly walked back into the pasture rather than get close of any of us. I sprinted more over that 2 hours than I had for the previous 15 years combined.

The kicker was that I was on my phone at one point letting my secretary know I would be late when the horse came close, so I shoved my phone in my pocket and gave chase. Apparently my secretary listened to the whole thing for something like 20 minutes.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mrs. Houghmade: So, why were you on the phone with your secretary for so long AND sweaty AND out of breath?

Houghmade: Well, you see... uh... the horse got out of the pasture....

;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Did your secretary learn any new words? :)

No...she had heard me use them all.

Mrs. Houghmade: So, why were you on the phone with your secretary for so long AND sweaty AND out of breath?

Houghmade: Well, you see... uh... the horse got out of the pasture....

;)

Her response would have been: "So you admit it then...and stop calling it a 'horse'."

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    We came home from work one day to find someone at the end of our driveway holding one of our horses by the fly mask. We found the latch on one of the gates to be lacking, so now every gate has a chain that wraps around the post and back around the gate and is clipped.

Since then, the only other escape has been when one of us didn't chain the gate properly. (oops)

Oh yeah, now I need to buy a thermal scope.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I love a happy ending, we need more stories like that here:thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

Top Bottom