• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    RA and BA are government arsenal stamps, Benecia Arsenal and Raritan Arsenal. I'm not sure which arsenal would date to your pistol.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's hard to value half of a union switch and signal. A complete gun, over $4000. Half a gun you couldn't find the other half to, less than half of that. Personally I would feel safe paying $1700-$1900. The rarity of the frame adds to it without detracting to having half a colt. It's authentic to time and place. It is a rare mix master. I would nail it down to $1800 if you're looking for a specific number.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Tell me what the timing was during WWII when Parkerization of small arms was adopted? The process was around years before 1939 but it seems you're suggesting that 1911s produced during the war were blued. I honestly am interested in the history.

The Union Switch and Signal 1911s had DuLite bluing. I had one for a time but traded it for something I just had to have, regretfully. This website has some good info that might answer your question. http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/finish.htm

And I agree with Sigblitz that the scarcity of a USS frame would probably make this pistol worth more than a typical GI mixmaster to the right buyer.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The original US&S 1911a1's were no where near the same color from the factory. The slide lock was different from the safety, both those were different from the trigger and most had slides that didn't match the frame.

They had the "double hash" or "checkered" trigger and slide lock. Yours has the correct trigger from the pic but I can't tell about the slide lock. The safety would have been almost black.

But as said, this is a mix-master. What it is now is part of the story that makes it's history. What you have is a fine example of a used firearm that spent a life in an arsenal, not in a box in a safe.

What ever you would hope it is worth today it WILL be worth sometime in the future. Next to Singer, US&S are the most desirable. Way fewer than say IHC M1 Garands and look what even the simplest parts of those go for.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a 1915 Colt 1911 with correct two toned magazine the King of my collection.
    Colt told me it was shipped from the arsenal to FT. Bliss TX in 1916, that's as far as it gets.............then an old farmer at the Indy 1500 sold it to me in a swap.
    He said it was his grandfathers, who was an officer during the 1916 conflict with Pancho Villa, I have always wondered what that puppy is worth, when I croak, my son gets it.
    Probably to the nearest LGS for quick $$$.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I have a 1915 Colt 1911 with correct two toned magazine the King of my collection.
    Colt told me it was shipped from the arsenal to FT. Bliss TX in 1916, that's as far as it gets.............then an old farmer at the Indy 1500 sold it to me in a swap.
    He said it was his grandfathers, who was an officer during the 1916 conflict with Pancho Villa, I have always wondered what that puppy is worth, when I croak, my son gets it.
    Probably to the nearest LGS for quick $$$.

I bet someone here would be willing to take it off your hands for fair value, and then you could leave the cash to your son (more than some LGS would pay!). :):

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I bet someone here would be willing to take it off your hands for fair value, and then you could leave the cash to your son (more than some LGS would pay!). :):

^^QFT.
    I have been seeing M1 Garands, a few 1911's, P38's and even an all matching Luger in the LGS and Pawn shops. The story is typically the same. It was Grandpa's or Great Grandpa's gun from the war and the person to whom it was left to didn't want it. So sad that these war relics are being discarded by family members.
    My Grandpa served at the end of WWII, but did not bring his rifle home, or got rid of it if he did. I would love to have any of his service time items. The only thing I have is a Company photo of his from April of '45, but I do not know if it was Boot Camp or Infantry School. Grandpa was at Camp Atterbury for a period of time, but again, I don't know if it was Boot Camp or what.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Tell me what the timing was during WWII when Parkerization of small arms was adopted? The process was around years before 1939 but it seems you're suggesting that 1911s produced during the war were blued. I honestly am interested in the history.
    I suspect that over the decades, these guns were reparked and rebuilt over and over again, 60's 70's and 80's, until the Baretta replaced them.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I just wanted to comment how much I enjoy threads like this, where knowledge and anecdotes of our history come together. Carry on

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The Union Switch and Signal 1911s had DuLite bluing. I had one for a time but traded it for something I just had to have, regretfully. This website has some good info that might answer your question. http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/finish.htm

And I agree with Sigblitz that the scarcity of a USS frame would probably make this pistol worth more than a typical GI mixmaster to the right buyer.

I suspect that over the decades, these guns were reparked and rebuilt over and over again, 60's 70's and 80's, until the Baretta replaced them.

Thanks for the comments. This stuff is what I study as a hobby. I've learned more about rifles so I'm happy to get knowledge on the pistols when I can.

I just wanted to comment how much I enjoy threads like this, where knowledge and anecdotes of our history come together. Carry on

Me too!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have my granddads Union Switch and Signal that he brought back from Tinnean. I have his holster and original mags for it too. What a beautiful gun it is, and oh how I wish it could talk!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^QFT.
    I have been seeing M1 Garands, a few 1911's, P38's and even an all matching Luger in the LGS and Pawn shops. The story is typically the same. It was Grandpa's or Great Grandpa's gun from the war and the person to whom it was left to didn't want it. So sad that these war relics are being discarded by family members.
    My Grandpa served at the end of WWII, but did not bring his rifle home, or got rid of it if he did. I would love to have any of his service time items. The only thing I have is a Company photo of his from April of '45, but I do not know if it was Boot Camp or Infantry School. Grandpa was at Camp Atterbury for a period of time, but again, I don't know if it was Boot Camp or what.

They just want the cash.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    ^^QFT.

I'm just happy they are making their way to pawn shops or LGS. I've talked to far too many people over the years that simply threw stuff away.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

Above are a couple pictures of my Union Switch and Signal 1911A1.

WOW! This is one sweet piece of history. If anyone wants to know what an early USS looks like then this is it.

This one would be the 717th one to roll off the assembly line, out of 55,000 made.

The color tones have melded over time but the surface texture is still notable. It is easy to see a difference between the mag catch, slide catch and safety vs the brushed like look of the slide and receiver. The "bushing" type grips and cross hatched trigger and slide catch.

This one is all that and a bag of chips. dfcrane, you are one lucky dude...

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    WOW! This is one sweet piece of history. If anyone wants to know what an early USS looks like then this is it.

This one would be the 717th one to roll off the assembly line, out of 55,000 made.

The color tones have melded over time but the surface texture is still notable. It is easy to see a difference between the mag catch, slide catch and safety vs the brushed like look of the slide and receiver. The "bushing" type grips and cross hatched trigger and slide catch.

This one is all that and a bag of chips. dfcrane, you are one lucky dude...

Thank you for the kind words. I really like this gun even though most people just think it looks like another run of the mill 1911A1. It is nice to be able to share your hobby with like minded people! :ingo:

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Thank you for the kind words. I really like this gun even though most people just think it looks like another run of the mill 1911A1. It is nice to be able to share your hobby with like minded people! :ingo:

That's a beauty. Mine was similar, but with maybe a little more surface wear. It was a tack driver, too, with one of the best GI triggers I've ever encountered. My Army buddy has it now, so though I have occasional regrets letting it go, I know it's in a good home.

Top Bottom