• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    heres a quiestion for the general public..How many of you can afford a new home a new car and afford for the wife to stay at home on making $15-$20 per hour? Honestly....I make a good union wage and its still a struggle with the prices of everything out there..Taking the wife and kids to the movies..Tickets popcorn and slushies for the kids $80 night out....kids wanted to go to great america $40 for 1 ticket. keep watching fox news people and bash the OVERPRICed unions

:rolleyes:

This is union mentality at its finest. You are human. There is no right for you, or anyone else, to:
    -Have a stay at home mom for the kids.
    -Live in a certain kind of home in a certain area of the country for a certain fixed monthly price.
    -Go out to the movies.
    -Go to Great America

This mentality, which seems to be held by a good number of people, is why I find it harder and harder to care about this country. While you may care if China invades us, and you may and go fight them, I am not so sure I would. You get the government to bankroll your industry to keep your $30hr+ job while the rest of us magically do without movie theater trips, trips to theme parks, etc.. Yet I am supposed to support the unions so their members can live high on the hog while I only bring home 1/2 to 2/3rds their wages and miss out on the goodies? I once worked higher education and banking. I guess I should have supported jacking tuition 25% year after year if it would mean a raise to $30/hour+ for me? What about supporting $50 bounced check fees, over draft fees, $20K closing costs for a loan? This is nothing more than "me, myself, and I" greedy American mentality. :rolleyes:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My belief ... is that unions only serve to protect lazy people who should've been fired a long time ago.

Actually, it isn't the lazy who they want to protect. I have been in a union, and most of the folks in there didn't like loads, could careless about the loads, etc.. In fact, most loads did eventually get fired after a few warnings. The problem is that for some unions, they care more about the monthly membership fee than anything else. While they might despise a bad employee, their biggest fear is that if they help can 25% of the bad employees in a "lets help clean house" type deal, the company may only hire back 80% of those who they fired. Or, if someone comes in who worked with another union, that person might press for a switch to a different union. So it all goes back to that monthly fee.

As with everything in this country, follow the :twocents:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

This is union mentality at its finest. You are human. There is no right for you, or anyone else, to:
    -Live in a certain kind of home in a certain area of the country for a certain fixed monthly price.
    -Go out to the movies.
    -Go to Great America

This mentality, which seems to be held by a good number of people, is why I find it harder and harder to care about this country. While you may care if China invades us, and you may and go fight them, I am not so sure I would. You get the government to bankroll your industry to keep your $30hr+ job while the rest of us magically do without movie theater trips, trips to theme parks, etc.. Yet I am supposed to support the unions so their members can live high on the hog while I only bring home 1/2 to 2/3rds their wages and miss out on the goodies? I once worked higher education and banking. I guess I should have supported jacking tuition 25% year after year if it would mean a raise to $30/hour+ for me? What about supporting $50 bounced check fees, over draft fees, $20K closing costs for a loan? This is nothing more than "me, myself, and I" greedy American mentality. :rolleyes:

I read what he posted and laughed. Its the entitlement attitude at its finest.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

-Go out to the movies.
    -Go to Great America

I agree...with one caveat. I find it troubling that you state that you may be open to the idea of the invasion of our country by a foreign power. I don't understand that in the slightest :n00b: This country may be in turmoil, but it is STILL my country. :patriot:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I read what he posted and laughed. Its the entitlement attitude at its finest.

Wait---don't you know that if you go to the movies you are OBLIGATED to buy $80 worth of overpriced "food" in addition to the movie ticket? :popcorn: Don't you know that Great America is a RIGHT!?! Where's your spirit of entitlement??? :laugh: Look, where I come from, if you can't afford to do something, DON'T DO IT. Simple as that. It's not the employer's obligation to ensure that you have each and every one of your whims catered to.

Unions? Heck no! :noway:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Phil, they did make a profit. Huge one. But the laborer did not get anymore money. At the time, Michael Jordan was paid US$100 million to endorse the product, and it sold for about US$130. I thought it was interesting that the company was willing to shut down a plant in Korea and relocate to Indonesia for a savings of US$2/pair. Jordan got a huge payday for just putting his name on it. The woman who made them got enough to feed her family. This was the point I was trying to make. Unions are needed to prevent this abuse of power. The laborer deserves better pay; the money is there, it just needs to be distributed more equitably. The only one who can defend the laborer is the union. But the union needs to be wise in how it selects its leaders and how it uses its power.

I won't argue that, properly lead, unions could offset any "greed" on the owners' part, but unfortunately human nature gets in the way. The way for a union boss to get into power is to promise more to the workers than the last union boss gave them. Once he gets into power, the only thing that really matters is to stay in power and maybe intimidate the owners so he can get more concessions. And it always seems it's easier to intimidate and bully the opposition than to persuade it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree...with one caveat. I find it troubling that you state that you may be open to the idea of the invasion of our country by a foreign power. I don't understand that in the slightest :n00b: This country may be in turmoil, but it is STILL my country. :patriot:
    Not to mention that, if China conquored us, he'd end up as a coolie in a rice field somewhere at a MUCH lower pay rate.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wait---don't you know that if you go to the movies you are OBLIGATED to buy $80 worth of overpriced "food" in addition to the movie ticket? :popcorn: Don't you know that Great America is a RIGHT!?! Where's your spirit of entitlement??? :laugh: Look, where I come from, if you can't afford to do something, DON'T DO IT. Simple as that. It's not the employer's obligation to ensure that you have each and every one of your whims catered to.
    Not to mention the fact that when I worked at Taco Bell and Pizza Hut for minimum wage, I still managed to scrape together enough to see a movie here and there, and make an annual pilgrimage to Cedar Point, which I trust is on the same scale as this "Great America" place.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Phil, they did make a profit. Huge one. But the laborer did not get anymore money. At the time, Michael Jordan was paid US$100 million to endorse the product, and it sold for about US$130. I thought it was interesting that the company was willing to shut down a plant in Korea and relocate to Indonesia for a savings of US$2/pair. Jordan got a huge payday for just putting his name on it. The woman who made them got enough to feed her family. This was the point I was trying to make. Unions are needed to prevent this abuse of power. The laborer deserves better pay; the money is there, it just needs to be distributed more equitably. The only one who can defend the laborer is the union. But the union needs to be wise in how it selects its leaders and how it uses its power.

So.... distribution of wealth is AOK so long as its in the 'right' direction?

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

This country WAS invaded. Only this time the invading powers wore 3 piece suits, wingtip shoes and worked for firms that had "reserve", "finance", "national", investment" and "bank" in their title.;)

The Chinese dont need troops here, we are doing a bang up job turning our country into a prison camp all on our own..... and paying for the privledge.:xmad:

Unions cease being effective when running the union is a bigger business than any of the businesses that employ the union workers. :twocents: talks.

This country IS in turmoil and until people are willing to look at the root causes we will not find our way out. :patriot:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Uh, just for the record, the Original Post was about the Union hiring Non-Union picketers to protest outside a business and mistreating those non-union workers exactly the same way the union claimed the business mistreated its non-union workers.

It was about the hypocrisy of the union, not whether or not unions are good or necessary.

Just felt the need to inject some corrective perspective.
    Carry on.

:whip:Way to whip this thread into shape. I've never seen a thread get so off topic!! >purple

Please read your post over and over until you figure out your very own contradictions. It should slap you in the face.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    :whip:Way to whip this thread into shape. I've never seen a thread get so off topic!! >purple

Please read your post over and over until you figure out your very own contradictions. It should slap you in the face.

OK, I guess I'm dense.

The video shows a union leader being a hypocrite.
    It seems to me that just because a person or organization is hypocritical doesn't mean they or it cannot be of some good or necessary.

Please enlighten me.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Uh, just for the record, the Original Post was about the Union hiring Non-Union picketers to protest outside a business and mistreating those non-union workers exactly the same way the union claimed the business mistreated its non-union workers.

It was about the hypocrisy of the union, not whether or not unions are good or necessary.

Just felt the need to inject some corrective perspective.
    Carry on.

You don't think that hypocrisy displayed by an organization can reasonbaly lead to discussion on whether the priciples and actions of said organization are good, bad, or necessary?

Are we all supposed to just laugh at the joke:dunno:? Ha ha.....funny funny, that was cute? No further disussion necessary?

OK, I guess I'm dense.

The video shows a union leader being a hypocrite.
    It seems to me that just because a person or organization is hypocritical doesn't mean they or it cannot be of some good or necessary.

Please enlighten me.

Okay, so now you have an opinion on unions? I supposed you have just confused me:dunno:

It's really not a big deal. I just found it weird that the person that posted this video would have an issue with the discussion that insued.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's really not a big deal. I just found it weird that the person that posted this video would have an issue with the discussion that insued.

OK, no big deal, either way.

I didn't really have a big issue with the discussion; it just didn't seem to relate to the video. It seemed more like a series of screeds for and against unions, rather than comments about this particular union acting like a "sweatshop" employer.
    Anti-union people could have said, "This is wrong." And pro-union people could have said, "Yeah, it's wrong. They shouldn't do that. I wouldn't want MY union to take advantage of people like that."
    Instead, one group labels unions all bad and another all good.
    Probably, both are wrong.
    My :twocents:.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    OK, no big deal, either way.

I didn't really have a big issue with the discussion; it just didn't seem to relate to the video. It seemed more like a series of screeds for and against unions, rather than comments about this particular union acting like a "sweatshop" employer.
    Anti-union people could have said, "This is wrong." And pro-union people could have said, "Yeah, it's wrong. They shouldn't do that. I wouldn't want MY union to take advantage of people like that."
    Instead, one group labels unions all bad and another all good.
    Probably, both are wrong. :yesway:
    My :twocents:.

That's cool......I apologize if I came across a bit harsh. :)

Carry on folks.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Before some knucklehead asks if I'm a union worker I'll answer that right now since nobody will actually read far enough to get to the end where I say that. I'm NOT a union worker. I'm a salaried, NON-union employee. Got that? I'm a NON-union employee.

With that said any benefits you get from an employer, vacation, healthcare, holidays, sick time, etc. you owe to a union worker. Plain and simple. Your pay you owe to a union worker. Were it not for people having the balls to stand together to bargain for a fair wage you would not be getting what you get right now. Your employer doesn't think that highly enough of you to give that to you. Your employer thinks you should pay him for the priveledge of working for him, making him wealthier. There is nothing wrong in getting what you feel is fair pay. If that pay lets you improve your lifestyle or just lets you get by, so be it.

Getting a better job, going back to school, starting a business or whatever, not everybody can do that. Limited job opportunities, cost of school, not having the knack or funds for starting a business. Also here's a little bit of bad news for you: Somebody has to do the dirty work. Everyone is so worried about punishing success that they'll punish someone who may not have the ability or desire to be more than a ditch digger. You will ***** and moan about "entitlement." You feel entitled to more money simply because you went to school and got a piece of paper that says you paid your tuition, or because you bamboozled a bank to fund your "dream." Eat **** and die. Without the people working for you you are nothing.

When you feel that the working class is beneath you build your own car. Mine the ore, smelt it into steel, make the dies to stamp the panels, design the engine, forge the parts, build it, etc. Or maybe build your own house. Cut the trees, cut it into the lumber you'll need, make the pvc pipe, wiring, etc. Make it all straight, too. Pave the road in front of your house instead of whining about the taxes you pay not getting it done. See my point? People are not a commodity or resource to be used up and thrown away. If that is how you feel YOU are the communist. YOU are the one that is causing the problems in the world and in this country. Don't point your finger at the people who are pleased as punch to sit on the porch drinking a beer after a night at the bowling alley simply because they have the unmitigated gall to stand up for what they feel is a fair shake. Look in the mirror and at those other people you feel entitled (favorite word here) to include yourself among. That is the problem.

When the unions are gone you will see your pay and benefits dry up faster than a goldfish flopping on the ground in Death Valley. It's already happening. Changing jobs isn't going to help. Going to college or university isn't going to help, either. Starting your own business won't help because with nobody else paying into the system you won't be able to foot the bill yourself. When all people can afford is food and shelter with nothing left over you kill the economy. The economy isn't the stock market and vice versa. The economy is everything. People and businesses. If you have some service or product you want to sell and nobody can afford it how long do you think you will be in business?

Because someone thinks he is "entitled" to the whole shebang is why unions came about in the first place. It also brought about the end of child labor, unsafe working conditions. How devastated would you be if you lost your child to a work accident rather than having him or her in school, where they should be? How would you be going to college making just enough to feed yourself?

Think on that for a bit.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Before some knucklehead asks if I'm a union worker I'll answer that right now since nobody will actually read far enough to get to the end where I say that. I'm NOT a union worker. I'm a salaried, NON-union employee. Got that? I'm a NON-union employee.

With that said any benefits you get from an employer, vacation, healthcare, holidays, sick time, etc. you owe to a union worker. Plain and simple. Your pay you owe to a union worker. Were it not for people having the balls to stand together to bargain for a fair wage you would not be getting what you get right now. Your employer doesn't think that highly enough of you to give that to you. Your employer thinks you should pay him for the priveledge of working for him, making him wealthier. There is nothing wrong in getting what you feel is fair pay. If that pay lets you improve your lifestyle or just lets you get by, so be it.

Getting a better job, going back to school, starting a business or whatever, not everybody can do that. Limited job opportunities, cost of school, not having the knack or funds for starting a business. Also here's a little bit of bad news for you: Somebody has to do the dirty work. Everyone is so worried about punishing success that they'll punish someone who may not have the ability or desire to be more than a ditch digger. You will ***** and moan about "entitlement." You feel entitled to more money simply because you went to school and got a piece of paper that says you paid your tuition, or because you bamboozled a bank to fund your "dream." Eat **** and die. Without the people working for you you are nothing.

When you feel that the working class is beneath you build your own car. Mine the ore, smelt it into steel, make the dies to stamp the panels, design the engine, forge the parts, build it, etc. Or maybe build your own house. Cut the trees, cut it into the lumber you'll need, make the pvc pipe, wiring, etc. Make it all straight, too. Pave the road in front of your house instead of whining about the taxes you pay not getting it done. See my point? People are not a commodity or resource to be used up and thrown away. If that is how you feel YOU are the communist. YOU are the one that is causing the problems in the world and in this country. Don't point your finger at the people who are pleased as punch to sit on the porch drinking a beer after a night at the bowling alley simply because they have the unmitigated gall to stand up for what they feel is a fair shake. Look in the mirror and at those other people you feel entitled (favorite word here) to include yourself among. That is the problem.

When the unions are gone you will see your pay and benefits dry up faster than a goldfish flopping on the ground in Death Valley. It's already happening. Changing jobs isn't going to help. Going to college or university isn't going to help, either. Starting your own business won't help because with nobody else paying into the system you won't be able to foot the bill yourself. When all people can afford is food and shelter with nothing left over you kill the economy. The economy isn't the stock market and vice versa. The economy is everything. People and businesses. If you have some service or product you want to sell and nobody can afford it how long do you think you will be in business?

Because someone thinks he is "entitled" to the whole shebang is why unions came about in the first place. It also brought about the end of child labor, unsafe working conditions. How devastated would you be if you lost your child to a work accident rather than having him or her in school, where they should be? How would you be going to college making just enough to feed yourself?

Think on that for a bit.

Thank you comrade. Now for your listening enjoyment, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic National Anthem.

rs-hymn.gif

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    How much did you actually read? Or did the entitlement mentality kick in right away because you feel entitled to more than the next guy or only your work is worthy of reward?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    How much did you actually read? Or did the entitlement mentality kick in right away because you feel entitled to more than the next guy or only your work is worthy of reward?

I read as much as I could stand to before I had to go hurl. You commies make me sick. Literally.

I'm entitled? Yeah, I'm freakin entitled. What am I entitled to, you ask? What I earned through my education, investment and industry. Not what I was able to extort because I belong to a thugocracy.

If you can't do crap you get paid crap. If you won't do crap you get paid less than crap. Pure economics. Fletch is a lot better at explaining it than I am. I just call it the law of crap for crap. That's just the way it works. It's been like that for 14,000 years. Will be like that for another 14,000 years.

So all you did was whine why you're an underachiever but you think you deserve what I have. You don't. You never will, until you too choose to be an over achiever.

I would go on all night, but I'm going to burst a blood vessel if I keep thinking about this, and you flat aren't worth it.

BTW, welcome new guy.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You know what I see out in the work force on a daily basis?

I see people who show up to work 5 minutes late. I see them leave 5 minutes early. I see them take an extra 5 minutes on their lunch, and they take every break they can. I see them paying their bills online on company time, and making personal phone calls. Their first question in an interview is "how much vacation do I get?" They take that vacation as soon as possible, and they take every sick day they can. They put in the bare minimum to keep from being fired. Their biggest motivation is to have enough money left over after they pay their bills to buy a bag of weed.

When they get to work and see the owner's new Ferrari, they whine about fairness. It's not fair that the owner of the company that employs them makes so much money, while they make $15.00 / hour. It's not fair the business owner can buy a new Ferrari, and they're driving a beat up POS. They say that if not for them, that business owner wouldn't even HAVE his company.

What they DON'T see and DON'T understand, is the years of struggle and sacrifice that business owner went through before he was even in a position to need to hire someone to help him. They don't realize this is the third or fourth business he's owned. They don't see that he works 80 hours or more per week, and has done so for the last 25 years to become successful, and nearly lost his family more than once because of it. They don't see that he lost his home 15 years ago because his last business failed. They don't understand this, because they lack the desire, motivation and discipline to succeed on their own. They don't have the guts or desire to risk everything themselves in order to achieve that success. And yet they think they're entitled to share in it.

They're not.

There was a time when unions served a valuable function. Sure, they were instrumental in reversing child labor practices, and bringing a safe workplace to the workers. But those days are long over. Their constant pushing for more, more, and still more is driving employers either out of business, or their jobs out of the country. But through their greed they just don't see that. They think their employer should just cough it up because, hey... they're entitled to as much as they can squeeze out of him. It's not fair that he makes more than THEY do.

Top Bottom