• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I was in a union in the 1980's.. They were talking about a .25c raise. Young and dumb, I said "What! a quarter...you're kidding me, right...' a quarter?' After the meeting, four thugs threatened my family . That told me everything I needed to know . I was under the impression that "the man" would pay us more than that anyway. The following has happened at this and different jobs: 3 years with.05 cent pay increases . low starting pay...20 c year increase 6 of 8 yrs. 2yrs.nothing.... next job used to pay well,..then.(2002).. 10 years /no raise .... year#8 .... 2 pay cuts 8 mo. apart .. plant closed in Nov. 2012 (no bail out ) for us. Life with union sucked ...life without union sucked ... rich got richer... company loyalty turned into" it's your fault for showing up every day." Life is hard, it's even harder if you're stupid

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    So if the majority of the Senate and House pass RTW, would you be for or against that "majority vote"? :dunno:

If it passes, it passes. I don't sit an moan about my lot in life. I make due with what I'm given. Even if the unions are dissolved I'd carry on. I'm a union member, but the union is not my life.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not me. I say "A lot" because I've already received several PMs from union members telling me I should just give up speaking my mind, because no one here will listen, and I'll be treaded like an *ss now that I've said I'm a union member. "A lot" signifies several, many, quite a few. Considering I've responded to 27 people here already about their negative views of all unions, I consider that a lot. That's not a generalization at all, it's a fact.
    And how many of those Members are treated like Asses due to the fact they might be asses, regardless of their Affiliation Status in a Union...

My negative Views of the Unions are from being a Member of 4 Unions, and around countless other Unions. I have yet to see one anywhere in this little World that was worth anything...

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Yes I do.
    Examples:
    Union pipeline welder $52 an hour $115 a day per diem $9 an hour on his rig, and $13 an hour benefits
    Non-Union pipeline welder $35-$40 an hour $50 a day per diem

Union pipeline apprentice $20-$30 an hour $42.50 a day per diem $10 an hour benefits
    Non-Union pipeline apprentice $9-$18 an hour no-$30 a day per diem.

That's great that you make good money without being in a union, I wouldn't. But in most cases unionized labor makes 5-15% more than their non-union counterparts.

I don't know if those differences are correct or not, but I will accept them as correct. By the time company overhead and profit margins are added, the differences would be even greater.

If I were a consumer of those services, I think I would go to ABC or find an open shop for a quote. Actually, I would determine if I could get it cheaper off shore. After all, any excess cost I incur would have to be passed onto my customers in order to make my shop profitable.

The higher cost would contribute to my shop either being uncompetitive or unprofitable. Neither is acceptable.

Guess I would end up going offshore whenever I could to be competitive and profitable.

I'm sure glad unions don't drive jobs offshore though.

Brilliant!

Last edited:

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    And how many of those Members are treated like Asses due to the fact they might be asses, regardless of their Affiliation Status in a Union...

My negative Views of the Unions are from being a Member of 4 Unions, and around countless other Unions. I have yet to see one anywhere in this little World that was worth anything...

I'm sorry you had bad experiences. Mine have been mostly positive so far. It could change in a heartbeat, and I could end up hating it. But at the moment I appreciate everything they've helped me through (my wife's cancer, my wife's pregnancy, loosing $15k in a totaled travel trailer) all of which union insurance, and the union voluntary fund helped me to a point that I didn't have to file for bankruptcy.

I'm unsubscribing this thread, seems like there are a few people here just wanting to argue, pick fights, or chastise, and I just posted to have a friendly back and forth.

Good talking with you, Jeremy.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry charlie, the only money unions can use for political donations come out of your check. You have to sign up for this, it's not automatic. Union dues go tword paying the saleries of the office people, paying bills,upkeep on the buildings, supplies for the training center.
    If you are going to ***** about Unions supporting Dem's at least know where the money comes from

Top National Donors | OpenSecrets

Seems like there's an awful lot of alternative subsidizing going on then with the kind of money that is being thrown around by the unions on this list.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I've spoken out on several occasions, but since I side against the ignorance, violence, and greed it's not nearly as newsworthy as the stories of sensationalistic drama that people prefer to read about.

Yes, one case you're NOT doing something to retain your employment. In the other case you're making an extra $100-$200+ a week, better benefits, and retirement, and asked to pay $25-$50 a month for it...
    You're making extra money, so the only thing you have to do is NOT put $50 of that extra money into your account, instead send it to a union hall.

No, you are not "ASKED" TO PAY. You are told that now you will be getting $XX.XX and you will give up $XX.XX to keep your job and get that package. Or you WILL lose your job. Even though you never wanted the representation as it were.

Anywhere else that would be called EXTORTION. Or protection. Both of which are felonies.

But then unions are legal, aren't they.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just speaking from an average union member's point of view, since the other union members on this board are scared to say anything in their own defense.

I seriously doubt that there are any union members on this forum that are "AFRAID" to speak their mind, based on some of the "discussions" that I have seen here. In exactly what form do you imagine the retribution would take for instance?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe it is in another thread and I missed it but these were the Republicans who flipped and voted AGAINST the bill.

Vaneta Becker District 050
    Richard Bray District 037
    Ed Charbonneau District 005
    Sue Landske District 006
    Johnny Nugent District 043
    Brent Steele District 044
    Jim Tomes District 049
    Brent Waltz District 036
    John Waterman District 039

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Maybe it is in another thread and I missed it but these were the Republicans who flipped and voted AGAINST the bill.

Vaneta Becker District 050
    Richard Bray District 037
    Ed Charbonneau District 005
    Sue Landske District 006
    Johnny Nugent District 043
    Brent Steele District 044
    Jim Tomes District 049
    Brent Waltz District 036
    John Waterman District 039

Wow, a couple of our pro gunner's caved on this! :xmad:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So the truth is that employees are indeed forced to pay union dues against their will. That is what the current law requires.

No, they're not forced. They have a choice.

Pay up, or hit the road, leave any seniority and resultant benefits, friendships, and reputation behind to go build anew.

The masses have spoken, deal with it.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Bosma is a Embarrassment to the people of Indiana,along with the rest of the Democraptic party. But can i ASk how many of you fine folks got a school voucher to send your kids to a better school. A school more suited for your kid . How many of you found out that you make to much .:xmad:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yes, and if the majority of the employees in a shop decided they wanted to ban smoking in the shop people would be forced to quit smoking there, too. I don't see how that is any different than any other situation where a majority vote changes the working environment.

You want a democratic vote and majority rules, great! Let the elected legislature have an up or down vote and let the majority rule. No more stalling. OK?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Bosma is a Embarrassment to the people of Indiana,along with the rest of the Democraptic party. But can i ASk how many of you fine folks got a school voucher to send your kids to a better school. A school more suited for your kid . How many of you found out that you make to much .:xmad:

Uh, Bosma is a Republican. The Democrats walked out to prevent voting on the Right to Work bill.

Who voted this bill in , who was the majority ?????????????

For the last two years, the Republicans have had a majority in the Indiana House and Senate.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

It would make sense that if you're for RTW, you'd also be for vouchers. It's about the ability to make your own choices and not be forced to do something against your will.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It would make sense that if you're for RTW, you'd also be for vouchers. It's about the ability to make your own choices and not be forced to do something against your will.

Choice for gun owners GOOD, choice for Employees and parents of school age children BAD.

Did I get that right? :dunno:
    :cool:

Top Bottom