Unions turning to violence against non-union business, shot owner of company!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Do you think it'll do me any good, If I tell the workers that management is right:n00b: You have to work faster, harder, so there will be less overtime:rolleyes: How long before they go to the AGC {To have me removed as the REP & have my UNION card taken}:noway:

Some of these UNION haters, think we do a bad job, just cause we're union members:xmad:

I do not think it is because your are a union member - I think you would be that way if you were non-union. You are more worried about keeping your union position and not doing the best thing for you an your fellow workers.

To you Landon, if you are speaking the truth, then, I believe you are a needed exception. I do not believe there are any good unions - BUT I do believe there are still some good union members.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    :rolleyes:

dont forget you can sell drugs, buy drugs, do drugs and steal company property without getting fired. At least you can if you work for Kroger.

I hope you let your kids mouth off to you with the same impunity that you so gladly revel in while at work.
    I would only mouth off to management, when they disrespect a union member, show them I can bark just like they can.

Landon500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anderson, In
    Much respect to you Landon500.

I want to have hope that you have the freedom and ability to perform in your job to the fullest and be an asset to your customer AND company. You do what you have to do to make a living. I know there are great workers in this country. Sometimes they're harder to see.

I like Anderson, Indiana. It is a shame that it is not as prosperous as it once was. It reminds me a lot of the area I was raised in up north. Built up and then abandon by industry. A lot moved to cheaper labor. And I think union demands had much to do with that.

I believe that every place you work you are going to have "bad apples" and it's the management's responsibility to weed these people out. But in larger companies this will be hard to do. I feel that both company and union have somrthing to do with this. This is not something that has happend overnight. THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!

Landon500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anderson, In
    I do not think it is because your are a union member - I think you would be that way if you were non-union. You are more worried about keeping your union position and not doing the best thing for you an your fellow workers.

To you Landon, if you are speaking the truth, then, I believe you are a needed exception. I do not believe there are any good unions - BUT I do believe there are still some good union members.

FIRST OFF THANK YOU. I think that the USA has the best work forse in the world. We just need to find a way to bring all our jobs back home where they belong.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

So you want me to lose my JOB, that feeds my family & go against the union:n00b: So after 26 years of bumping heads with management, I'm going to turn on the union, & let my fellow union members get fired:rolleyes: I'm almost making $50,000 a/year, without the union I'll be making minimum wage:draw:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    So you want me to lose my JOB, that feeds my family & go against the union:n00b: So after 26 years of bumping heads with management, I'm going to turn on the union, & let my fellow union members get fired:rolleyes: I'm almost making $50,000 a/year, without the union I'll be making minimum wage:draw:

Yes, sometimes doing the right thing temporarily hurts the most. Better yourself and show the union you are better than they are and make even more money. Why can't you be the real boss? Why are you happy making $50k? You are the thing holding you back. Do not give the union that much credit. Will it be easy - hell no. It will take sacrificing to your breaking point maybe but get a degree and get a better job. There are more opportunities out there than the media would let you believe - they require hard work and that is not who the media is catering to in their stories.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Yes, sometimes doing the right thing temporarily hurts the most. Better yourself and show the union you are better than they are and make even more money. Why can't you be the real boss? Why are you happy making $50k? You are the thing holding you back. Do not give the union that much credit. Will it be easy - hell no. It will take sacrificing to your breaking point maybe but get a degree and get a better job. There are more opportunities out there than the media would let you believe - they require hard work and that is not who the media is catering to in their stories.
    Oh, that is only my pay, My wife that went to college brings home $55,000 & we have 5 rental homes {but I'm losing my butt, on those rental homes IRS}:D

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

Degrees don't magically equal better jobs, or even better paying jobs for that matter. ;)

My sister has a degree and makes less than 20k a year. Teachers have to have degrees and they make 25-30k a year at best. My best friend has a degree and can't even find a job in the field he graduated in.

Don't tell people to quit just because they are in a union. The union doesn't make the worker. If someone is happy making 50k a year why do you assume it's your place to tell him to quit his job and "better himself" by going further into debt with student loans when you can't even guarantee him a job?

Don't try to run someone else's life just because your opinions are different than theirs. In fact, I'll live my life, he can live his, and you can live yours. If you don't like unions don't work for one. Problem solved.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Degrees don't magically equal better jobs, or even better paying jobs for that matter. ;) Not every one does - but most do. A degree will almost never guarantee you a job, but not having one will keep you from many many good jobs.

My sister has a degree and makes less than 20k a year. Teachers have to have degrees and they make 25-30k a year at best. I bet she knew that going into college.

My best friend has a degree and can't even find a job in the field he graduated in. That is two examples (and I am sure you can make more) but there are just as many examples where a degree doesmake a difference. Again, it is not a magical bean to cure all - that I agree with you.

Don't tell people to quit just because they are in a union. The union doesn't make the worker. If someone is happy making 50k a year why do you assume it's your place to tell him to quit his job and "better himself" by going further into debt with student loans (I figured he would sell his first born to pay for school -wtf?) when you can't even guarantee him a job? He asked if he should quit - and I said yes. My point was not to get him to enroll in college. By his statements, he seemed like he felt the union was his only way or he and his family would starve on minimum wage. I simply disagreed and stated he could do better. You seem to have something against encouraging another person to better themselves - I do not.

Don't try to run someone else's life just because your opinions are different than theirs. Have done nothing of the sort.

In fact, I'll live my life, he can live his, and you can live yours. If you don't like unions don't work for one. Problem solved. Problem not solved. Unions effect more than their members. The effect every one of use who pays taxes, uses public service, has a political system in our life, etc.

:patriot:

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Unions waste everyone's money - not just taxpayers. They artificially drive the cost up on all goods they touch. Try doing something efficient in their plant and their panties quickly get sucked into a bunch.

Exactly.....this is the reason that union concrete companies don't have laser screeds, power trowels, etc.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Oh, that is only my pay, My wife that went to college brings home $55,000 & we have 5 rental homes {but I'm losing my butt, on those rental homes IRS}:D

Gunman...no one is interested in hearing you brag about yourself and your wife. Don't you have an aircraft out there to run a baggage cart into?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Exactly.....this is the reason that union concrete companies don't have laser screeds, power trowels, etc.
    What a croc. Man, don't make general statements like that. Come to Evansville and see how they do it here. Before I retired we did mechanical and piping work (proudly a contractor/member of Plumbers & Steamfitters local 136) on the biggest jobs around here: Hospitals, buildings at USI and U of E, Mead Johnson, Alcoa, Whirlpool, Toyota, etc. The union concrete companies that worked around me busted their a**es as do most other union trades/companies. Lasers, motor trowling machines, pumper trucks, Georgia buggies were always used to the max.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Unions waste everyone's money - not just taxpayers. They artificially drive the cost up on all goods they touch. Try doing something efficient in their plant and their panties quickly get sucked into a bunch.

Chrysler makes the same wages as Toyota now.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of these UNION haters, think we do a bad job, just cause we're union members:xmad:

I hate unions because they hold TALENTED people back...while keeping the rift raft around. And all for the sake of union hierarchy keeping THEIR positions. And yes....i have been in unions....several different times throughout my employment career. Never ONCE did I get any bennies from one, which INCLUDED me negotiating my OWN contracts and salaries. Yet I was still forced to pay union DUES.

I watched crappy teachers being kept around...while talented ones went on to make more money in other careers (which is what I ended up doing), all because the union protected the crappy ones, and refused to let the talented ones be compensated according to their ABILITIES.

Unions create MEDIOCRITY. In goods, and in personnel.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Not every one does - but most do. A degree will almost never guarantee you a job, but not having one will keep you from many many good jobs. Tell Bill Gates that. Or how about the UPS drivers I work with that make over 75k a year. Not having a degree doesn't keep you from anything in this economy. In fact neither of my parents have a degree and they have done very well for themselves. The problem with your statements is that you actually believe that little piece of paper will make someone more successful than their own work ethic. :noway: Wrong.

I bet she knew that going into college. My sister isn't the teacher. You've just assumed she was. She actually has some kind of nursing degree, but she likes working at the eye center she works at and has no regrets. Sometimes people would rather like their job and make enough to get by with just a little more than make a ton and absolutely hate their job. :dunno: You may not be one of them but I know I'm like that. I'd rather have a little extra making $40k a year and liking my job than making $100k a year and hating my job. As I said, let other people choose to live their life. Don't tell someone to quit their job because you think it's the right thing to do for them when you don't even know them. You may be a smooth talker but so is Obama and you see where his ideas got all of us...

Problem not solved. Unions effect more than their members. The effect every one of use who pays taxes, uses public service, has a political system in our life, etc. This is a croc of **** if I've ever read it. If you're not working for a unionized business then the union has no effect on you at all. You seem to think they raise the prices of goods and services yet you post no source of information regarding the matter. The price of goods and services goes up because of the price of gas, minimum wage, but most of all corporate greed. And please, tell me how unions effect "EVERYONE who pays taxes"... You seem to think the union is an organized crime syndicate rather than what they really are, which is more of a set of lawyers to keep the people who pay them safe and working. Able to provide for their families and keep businesses growing by allowing the business to discuss a contract with the workers.

Now I'm not saying that every union is like mine. There are some that will allow the workers to slack off and not allow businesses to fire the people who need to be fired, but don't think every union is the same. There are some (like mine) who pretty much only enforce fair pay and safety issues. I just went 9 weeks without a paycheck because UPS's payroll screwed up and they didn't want to pay me for it. My union stuck up for me and got me my pay. I didn't have to hire a lawyer and go to court and this and that. So you can sit here and rant about how you don't like unions and how they are no good but what you really need to do is pull your thinker out of your stinker and open it up. You may disagree with unions but that doesn't mean that your opinion and views on them are correct.

:yesway:

Edit: And before you go blaming unions for the rising cost of goods and services and how they affect everyone who pays taxes, maybe you should think about how our tax dollars (even us union workers' tax dollars) are given to people who don't work. Welfare and unemployment are the ones that affect you, not unions. Unions are not the government so don't blame them for extending unemployment another year and don't blame them for giving every person who is unemployed and popping out crack babies a paycheck. Unions fight to keep people working so your tax dollars don't go to waste. ;)

Last edited:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    :yesway:

Edit: And before you go blaming unions for the rising cost of goods and services and how they affect everyone who pays taxes, maybe you should think about how our tax dollars (even us union workers' tax dollars) are given to people who don't work. Welfare and unemployment are the ones that affect you, not unions. Unions are not the government so don't blame them for extending unemmployment another year and don't blame them for giving every person who is unemployed and popping out crack babies a paycheck. Unions fight to keep people working so your tax dollars don't go to waste. ;)

I was wrong - obviously talking out my butt again (this happens often). CK has set me straight. Sorry for treating you like I am Obama.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    sticks in my craw

sometimes it's better for me to talk to the worker, & tell him when he f'ing up he's hurting his UNION brothers & sisters, & if he keeps messing up his union peers will turn their back on him. Then having a manager punish him & hurt the moral of the workers, which in turns will affect the work production, with guys not working at their peak & taking sick out, cause they are upset & don't want to come to work.;)

Awwwww. Peer pressure going to work for the good of all. Horse hockey. (Since the steaming pile smiley has disappeared) If the guy won't act like an adult and treat people with respect, fire his insubordinate rump and hire somebody who will. An employer isn't gotting any extra work or profit from babysitting an infantile jerk. And he shouldn't be asked to.:twocents:

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    What a croc. Man, don't make general statements like that. Come to Evansville and see how they do it here. Before I retired we did mechanical and piping work (proudly a contractor/member of Plumbers & Steamfitters local 136) on the biggest jobs around here: Hospitals, buildings at USI and U of E, Mead Johnson, Alcoa, Whirlpool, Toyota, etc. The union concrete companies that worked around me busted their a**es as do most other union trades/companies. Lasers, motor trowling machines, pumper trucks, Georgia buggies were always used to the max.

I'm not contesting that they work their a**es off, just that they don't want a laser screed around because it does the work of 5 or 6 guys with ease. Trowel machines are a necessity on large jobs to keep up with the curing, so they use them. Pumper trucks are also a necessity on tall wall pours, mezzanines, etc. Georgia buggies still need a guy to run them, so those are used.

What gets me is that when the concrete guys get to the end of a pour and have to put a 2x8 in to close up the part where the trucks were bringing concrete in......they aren't allowed to do it. They have to wait for a carpenter to come in and put that one board in. If it isn't your trade....even if you know how to do it and can do it in a few minutes.....you can't perform the work of another trade (no matter how small it is). I've seen it done, but they usually get yelled at.

Top Bottom