• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I don't know if this exact post has been made and I know bits of this question can be found in many other posts but I have a question concerning out of state carry. I have an Indiana LTCH. I work in Illinois and Wisconsin. I am at least in Illinois EVERYDAY. I go to Wisconsin several times a month. I carry a "get home bag" with me wherever I go and I am considering carrying a firearm in the bag. Is there any way that I can carry any type of weapon with me on my travels. I can carry the weapon in the trunk, unloaded and disassembled if necessary. So I have a few specific questions,

What is the general consensus on carrying a weapon, in the trunk of a car, in a case, unloaded in Illinois by an out of state resident?

Does it make a difference if the firearm is disassembled? i.e., I have a cheap CZ-52 that takes down and goes back together in two seconds. Also, what constitutes "disassembled"?

Can I have an excuse for carrying the weapon? i.e. I am going to a buddy's property to target practice after work, I am going hunting after work, I am taking the weapon to a gunsmith, etc?

Sometimes I drive a different vehicle without a trunk, a minivan. How does this reflect on where I can store a weapon.

Part of me just wants to carry anyway, I am 34 years old and have absolutely no criminal record and I haven't been stopped by a LEO since I was 19. I just want to be aware of the law and the consequences before I make my decision.

Thanks guys.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side

Pick me! Pick me!

Wisconsin doesn't issue a permit, but will allow anyone from out of state with a permit carry there. The problem is for carrying, it must be OC. If it is in your car, it must be unloaded, locked, in a case, where no one can reach it from a seat (trunk).

You're good to go if you're just passing by or stopping.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf
    (720 ILCS 5/24-1)
    Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
    (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his
    own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that
    this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following
    conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a
    person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card; or
    What is broken down in a non-functioning state?
    The firearm is disassembled, making it inoperable, e.g., slide or barrel removed.

I recommend you do some reading at the source. They have a FAQ section, in which they repeatedly "recommend" an FOID but that isn't how the code reads.

**IMPORTANT**
    Illinois state law does NOT preempt local law unlike in IN. That means you can follow IL code to the letter and still violate local ordinances.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I think the law is clear on transporting a firearm. It is the "passing through" portion that I am most worried about. My destinations are in either Illinois and Wisconsin. I am not passing through those states to get to another.

Top Bottom