• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    So glad I don't have to deal with all that cr@p for work anymore.
    Sucks rocks being stuck in the airport.
    Worse when you have no control over anything.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This exact thing has happened before. It would be nice if United could figure it out...
    Maybe maybe not.

They just said “computer problems”. It could be any number of factors. The last time could’ve been a database issue. This time could’ve been an application server issue.

A computer glitch is not a computer glitch is not a computer glitch.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Maybe maybe not.

They just said “computer problems”. It could be any number of factors. The last time could’ve been a database issue. This time could’ve been an application server issue.

A computer glitch is not a computer glitch is not a computer glitch.
    I work in IT. I'm sure it's not the exact same bug each time. But if their infrastructure is so fragile that it several times fails to the point requiring a full ground stop, it is a systemic issue that reflects poorly upon United Airlines. I would expect a firm of this size in this time-critical industry to have full warm-backups of all critical systems and be able to switch over in minutes.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I would expect a firm of this size in this time-critical industry to have full warm-backups of all critical systems and be able to switch over in minutes.
    You would think so, but based on the experiences I've had those "DR" systems are not really all that useful.

A company that truly wants this kind of capability runs their operations in an A/B state and makes the changeover part of their normal operating procedures. There are very few of them out there due to the perceived cost.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I also work in IT. Earlier this year I just decommissioned a true hot spare server pair. Software running on the primary woud mirror. All database writes in real time. I could have the back up system functional within 15 minutes, and that is only because that is how long it takes DNS changes to propagate.

He was relatively easy, but that doesn’t scale well. When you start talking entire racks of clustered servers to do this, it gets very very very expensive. And I’m sure nobody wants to spend that money. Especially since it’s all custom stuff not off the shelf commodity software.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    How much of a problem is this for those in the air at the time?
    From how he explained it, it was communication from their dispatch office to the planes. When they can't communicate they have to do a ground stop?

That said he didn't make it to seem that anyone on board other than the pilots would know there "was a problem".

Top Bottom