• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Hey guys I was wondering about the legality of carrying there today?

Now I know that by state law I can't carry at any school, such as the schools my kids go to. However I have heard conflicting reports about carry at colleges and university's.

The reason I ask is there's go to be an event going on today at the university of Evansville. here's the link for those that want to check it out.

Kids Day Funfest Sponsored by Alles Brothers Furniture and Townsquare Media - NewsTalk 1280 WGBF

I just found this on the UE website. any thought's on this.

Weapons
    The Office of Safety and Security enforces all federal, state, local statutes and University regulations pertaining to the possession and/or use of firearms, ammunitions, explosive devices, fireworks, or other potentially lethal weapons. All these items are strictly prohibited in the residence halls and in all other alternative housing units. Any violations of these statutes and regulations may result in disciplinary action as well as criminal prosecution.

What is a considered a weapon or explosive?

Any firearm or device such as a handgun, rifle, shotgun, pistol or blowgun that can launch a projectile.
    Blades over three inches long or any sharp edged item that is used with the intent to threaten or do bodily harm.
    Blunt objects fashioned to cause injury or bodily harm or any blunt object used with intent to threaten or do bodily harm.
    ANY item used with the intent to threaten or do bodily harm.
    Explosives are any device designed to explode, either timed or fused, that would cause serious damage or bodily harm.
    All fireworks are covered under this policy including sparklers.

My take on it is that as long as I don't go into the dorms then I'm not breaking the law or their rules concerning firearms.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    There are no state laws preventing you from carrying. This doesn't appear to be a "school function" as defined in IC and it is not at an elementary, high school or licensed day care institution. If the school or event sponsors have posted "no firearms" you could be asked to leave and if you didn't you could be hauled away for trespassing. Remember, you're getting this free advise from a retired plumbing contractor so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    From the looks of what they describe as a weapon, everything is considered a weapon. I really hope the bill that state law overrules universities from banning licensed handgun owners from carrying on a college campus.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Went to the event and oc'd there with no problem, even stood strong side to the EPD officer that was there and not a word was said to me by him or the event staff. so it might have been they didn't see it or just didn't pay attention to it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As you've already found out, colleges & universities are not "schools" as far as the Indiana Code goes. Also, since there isn't a prohibition about it in the IC, carry on colleges & universities (in IN) is legal.

Also, UE doesn't have a sworn law enforcement entity. They do have a safety/security force. And I'd imagine, much like USI's security, that half the security folks are moonlighting Vandeburgh Sheriff Department Deputies / EPD officers.

You did get lucky, though, in that you weren't asked to leave.

-J-

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I must say, if I had any question as to the legality of carrying, I sure would not have been OCing. What everyone has said about universities in IN is correct, they cannot have you arrested for carrying. They can ask you to leave. The only problem I could see is if the "kids day" was being hosted by a school or school district.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    I was there, but chose to keep it under my jacket. Didn't see anyone OC while I was there.
    One funny thing I saw there was, a guy had 2 German Shepard therapy dogs. As he was walking through the crowd, dogs in lead, one of the dogs nosed a woman in the crotch and she jumped about a foot. Other than that, was a great time for all my kids.

James

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    -J-

I can say that if they had asked me to leave i would have of course left without complaint.

Dailylc, as far as not seeing then i don't know but i was there. and yes those two German Shepard's were pretty dogs,, they are trained and used to help the mentally handicapped and the elderly. that's what they had those red vest's on with the name tags on them. My wife was tempted to get one of the cats that was there.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As you've already found out, colleges & universities are not "schools" as far as the Indiana Code goes. Also, since there isn't a prohibition about it in the IC, carry on colleges & universities (in IN) is legal.

Also, UE doesn't have a sworn law enforcement entity. They do have a safety/security force. And I'd imagine, much like USI's security, that half the security folks are moonlighting Vandeburgh Sheriff Department Deputies / EPD officers.

-J-

It may not be against STATE law, but it definitely can get a student expelled or an employee fired. And I am not willing to be the test case.

Top Bottom