• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Otis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Martinsville
    My question is... Can a non licensed owner ship a handgun or a longgun to another non licensed person in the same state? Looking at the ATF answers it looks like you can. But I called a few gunshops and they say no.
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I had this same problem a couple weeks ago. I had a friend of mine from Georgia buy my .243 and I did all the research to see how to ship it, but when I took it to the post office they told me I had to be an FFL holder to send it out. I told them I read the rules on their website (what you posted) and they still wouldnt let me do it.

So I took it to my LGS and he said the same thing. So now I have to have my LGS ship it his LGS and they both have to do paperwork on the sell. It doesnt make any sense, but thats the way it is.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Handguns: UPS or FedEX only.
    Long guns: USPS, UPS, or FedEX.

This only applies to shipping to another Indiana resident.

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was told that a private owner could ship to a FFL dealer out of town as long as he puts a copy of his DL's in the package.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was told that a private owner could ship to a FFL dealer out of town as long as he puts a copy of his DL's in the package.

According to the ATF FAQ as linked in my post above, you can ship directly to any FFL in any state (handguns via common carrier only). However, that wasn't the OP's question. And yes, you don't have to include your driver's license. That would be a horrible, horrible idea.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    My question is... Can a non licensed owner ship a handgun or a longgun to another non licensed person in the same state? Looking at the ATF answers it looks like you can. But I called a few gunshops and they say no.
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    I saw this same thing on ATF website and couldn't believe what I was seeing.Re-read it and still couldn't believe. Called ATF. They said yes unlicensed persons can ship long guns INTRASTATE by USPS or common carrier, or any firearm by common carrier. I specificly asked if that included handguns and they said yes. I can understand why an FFL would say no. If he said yes he would shoot himself in the foot.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I had this same problem a couple weeks ago. I had a friend of mine from Georgia buy my .243 and I did all the research to see how to ship it, but when I took it to the post office they told me I had to be an FFL holder to send it out. I told them I read the rules on their website (what you posted) and they still wouldnt let me do it.

So I took it to my LGS and he said the same thing. So now I have to have my LGS ship it his LGS and they both have to do paperwork on the sell. It doesnt make any sense, but thats the way it is.

Had my post office told me that, I'd have asked to speak to the postmaster. Had that not solved the problem, I'd have taken it to the Postal Inspector(s). Had that not worked, the Postmaster General would have gotten a call... and had none of the above worked, I think I could find an attorney. Of course, just spending the extra $20 on a transfer fee at my LGS would have been far less expensive than the last step, but a few phone calls cost me nothing but time.

Blessings,
    Bill

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Had my post office told me that, I'd have asked to speak to the postmaster. Had that not solved the problem, I'd have taken it to the Postal Inspector(s). Had that not worked, the Postmaster General would have gotten a call... and had none of the above worked, I think I could find an attorney. Of course, just spending the extra $20 on a transfer fee at my LGS would have been far less expensive than the last step, but a few phone calls cost me nothing but time.

Blessings,
    Bill

I really wanted to make a bigger deal of it, but there were a lot of people in line behind me and I didn't want to waste their time. So I picked up my stuff and left. But before I left I mailed out my Form 4 for my M11/9. So at least I accomplished something.

Otis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Martinsville
    The PO clerks have a chart that they can look at to see if it will ship. I have seen it and longguns can be shipped. Ask to see the chart.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The PO clerks have a chart that they can look at to see if it will ship. I have seen it and longguns can be shipped. Ask to see the chart.

She pulled out a book of some sort and looked through it after I told her and she still said it couldn't be done. Oh well, just one of those days I guess. Luckily my LGS guy is taking care of it for me.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Just an FYI most dealers will NOT accept a firearm from an individual with some sort of ID. Just like when you sell an FFL a firearm they ask to see your ID and write down the info.

Top Bottom