• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Is there anyone I can call or make a report to about an apartment manager who has not repaired a kicked-in door on an abandoned apartment? This has been this way for over a month, I called the cops when I first noticed it and have reported it to the building manager several times. Now I am starting to see signs of activity around the apartment (lights left on, cigarette butts, empty liquer bottles) and it is really concerning me about unwanted guest being around. I just got off the phone with the manager after complaining about the apartment again.

Anyway, I know most everyone is going to say to move and I am planning on it (believe me). In the meantime, I have to live around this and there is also my neighbors safety (two of whom are retired and one who has several young children).

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Is there anyone I can call or make a report to about an apartment manager who has not repaired a kicked-in door on an abandoned apartment? This has been this way for over a month, I called the cops when I first noticed it and have reported it to the building manager several times. Now I am starting to see signs of activity around the apartment (lights left on, cigarette butts, empty liquer bottles) and it is really concerning me about unwanted guest being around. I just got off the phone with the manager after complaining about the apartment again.

Anyway, I know most everyone is going to say to move and I am planning on it (believe me). In the meantime, I have to live around this and there is also my neighbors safety (two of whom are retired and one who has several young children).

Actually, as a former apartment manager, and maintenance manager, I would say go to the Owners. Most people think the owners are nameless cooperate entities, BUT it often is helpful, when it is a real issue to send a letter to the owner or to call. Being this is a safety issue for the residents of the building I would call, and follow up. if you get no help a call to the local news station about unsafe conditions, could put the fire under the management.

I would also make sure you are not in any violations of your lease as you will most likely be labeled a trouble maker.

It may also be that they are attempting to schedule re-keying the whole building. Another factor might be, that they are trying to catch the people entering the apartment. It might also still be under lease and legal issues with changing the lock. These have happened to me.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    +1 Talking to the owners is a great idea. If there is a chance of their property being damaged and costing them money to fix I would assume they would remedy the situation. Wouldn't we?

Good job on monitoring your surroundings and being aware. I'm also watching and observing the people/things around my apartment. Too many people coming and going not too.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Got ahold of the owner, they had someone fixing the door within two hours. They had to cut out the frame and put in a new one. They also repaired the outside light infront of the unit.

Not that it all did much good. Got up this morning, walked down stairs and the door was busted open again and the light out front smashed.

I've got to get out of here.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Call the owner again. After awhile he will get tired of you calling and spending money and maybe hire some security. Also don't know what city you are in but there should be some housing authority you could contact.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Got ahold of the owner, they had someone fixing the door within two hours. They had to cut out the frame and put in a new one. They also repaired the outside light infront of the unit.

Not that it all did much good. Got up this morning, walked down stairs and the door was busted open again and the light out front smashed.

I've got to get out of here.

Agreed!! Do what you can to get moved out!!!

Since you've already been in contact with the ownership (and the fixed the problem!), perhaps since the problem has reoccured, they might let you out of your lease?

Get your copy of the lease out and read every single paragraph; anywhere that says anything about the owner/leasor having anything to do with external safety/security/etc, copy it down. If it comes to it, you can use this as leverage as them not holding up their end of the bargain when it comes to getting out of your lease.

Also do some research and find the Renter's Bill of Rights, might find some help there, too.

-J-

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    I live on the northside of Indy, just south of 465. I talked to the cops once, they basically told me they have bigger fish to fry and I should probably just move.

Judging by the amount of damage to the door, I can't believe I wasn't woken up last night. My wife is deaf (literally), so she gets a pass but I'm a little surprised at myself. I have one of those security wedges that holds a door shut and feel a little better with it and our staffie *cough* I mean mutt.

I've started looking but it seems anything in our price range is either just as sketchy or else in an inconvient location (my wife can't drive). I'm going to talk to her about sacrificing a little on being able to walk to the store, and possibly the busline, so we can find someplace a little more secure.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    This is a situation where your between a rock and a hard place. Ideally the owners will keep at it and your persistence will ensure that. Getting out of the lease due to security issues might not be viable, because the owners are now doing what is expected of them. Unless a physical threat has occurred, they will be reluctant to upgrade any possible security. Security guards are a short term measure and not a very good solution in my opinion from experience. I had break ins occur with a 15 minute roving patrol. Also the human factor of potty - smoke breaks and the sleep factor, all caught on tape.

Cameras and neighbors who cooperate are the best deterrent. Calling the police when there is a break in, and having a video of the actions taken by the perpetrators will help the police.

Another option is the owners may have property in a better facility / neighborhood and be willing to transfer you to another place or apartment within the complex that is more secure.

I have worked these situations and they take time and diligence. In the end a building of tenants who get to know each other and care for each other is the best situation. they look out for each other and report problems and stand witness when they have the opportunity.

A motion sensing camera with time stamp can be your best tool. There are many hunting cameras that do the job. I believe I saw someone here on, Ingun, with a couple for sale. There are also ones that are remote/wireless that hook up to a computer.

Is there a main door to the building? is it locked?
    There are also ways of securing doors with extras that make them harder for the average person to physically break open. Many contractors and installed use the screws included and most don't do the job, from my experience. Extra reinforcing plates around locks and stress points help. It sounds like the installer of the new door used the standard screws that came with the kit.

As for the lighting there many products available to protect them form damage. Some work better than others, none work all the time there is no one watching or listening.

I have replaced 100's of those Exit-Emergency lighting sets due to damage and used many covers that sustained damage too.

Long and short of it if you keep on the owners and keep a written log of the problems and actions taken, the more likely they are to let you out of the lease. A factor too, with owners is the reputation of the property, and sometimes a simple blurb on the news about XYZ apartments being broke into is all it takes to open the cooperate wallets. Makes renting difficult when the news is reporting break ins and multiple police calls.

Asking the local police patrol to keep an eye often helps. When they put a face to the problem and know there is some one who cares, they will often take it on themselves to do extra drive byes, and actually LOOK.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    At the very least, I'm going to put a concealed motion detector on the stairs leading up to our landing (there is only ours and one other apartment on our landing and the other is empty) so we atleast no if anyone comes up the stairs.

It looks like someone used a crowbar to bust it open. I bet someone had something stashed in there and was upset when they found the lock repaired.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    So your wife can shoot without hearing protection? Sweet!

Seriously, I feel bad for your situation. The North Side is tough to find affordable yet safe apartments.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Seriously, I feel bad for your situation. The North Side is tough to find affordable yet safe apartments.

I was told the north side (past 71st) was the safer side of town. I actually work near the airport, we just ended up here because it was near a friend of ours and the price and timing were right.

Oh and, my wife can still hear some. She had chronic ear infections as a child and her ear drums are almost completely covered in scar tissue. Everything sounds very "muffled" as I understand it. Also, she doesn't like loud noises because they give her headaches (something to do with them not reverbirating correctly), so she has requested I get suppressors for her guns. :D

Top Bottom