• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robertpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    So I was driving to Cleveland this week and decided to take my handgun with me now that the reciprocity agreement is in effect with Ohio. I did my research and was ready to roll.

While led driving into Ohio via US 24 I failed to notice that I had entered OH and that the speed trap was set. Funny how the speed limit in Indiana and all but 15 miles of 24 in OH has a speed limit of 70 while the first few miles after crossing the border the limit drops to 65. A-holes.

Anyway, I got caught going 80 in the 65 and was pulled over by an Ohio state trooper. He came up to the rear of the car and looked around , then approached the passengers side. I could see his hand on his gun as he leaned down and asked me to open the window.

He he asked for my license and registration and I told him where they were and that I would be getting them. As I was doing so I mentioned that I was an Indiana resident, with a LTCH and a handgun in my bag on the passenger seat. I said I had checked the laws before brining it and remembered that I was required to inform him.

He he said that was true and that it was just recently that we were able to carry there "because we aren't required to shoot in front of a certified trainer to get our Indiana license."

he proceeded to give me a ticket but when he came back he asked me what I carried and we had a nice, friendly conversation. He said he was a second amendment supporter and thought it was good that more people were carrying.

Seemed like a nice guy. Too bad he wasn't noce enough to let me out of their bull crap speed trap.

I know, cool story bro. But I though someone might be interested that at least some of the state troopers are up to speed on the new law.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Happy to hear how well it went minus the ticket... And very happy to hear he was a second amendment supporter!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's not a speed trap if there are huge speed limit signs everywhere... ;)

Also - that stretch of 24 between Ft. Wayne and Defiance is some peaceful driving. Hardly any traffic (when I've been on it), the roadway is still (thankfully) in fantastic condition, and the overpasses on OH are OH-so pretty.

I may be going up that way this weekend to visit some of my outlaws. Don't know for sure yet.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Glad it went as a normal stop and nothing stupid happened.

The stoopid happened when he chose to exceed the speed limit. Can't figure out how it was the cops fault that he needed to test their enforcement capabilities.

Don't expect any sympathy from me. You knew the rules. You broke them. You buy the ticket.waaa2waaa
    No whining.

Good deal on getting a sane and reasonable second amendment supporter to waste your money with tho..:yesway:

Robertpetry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    Well, I admit I was at fault and exceeding the speed limit. I had crested a hill and accelerated unintentionally down the hill. My fault.

But lowering the speed limit at the edge of the state and constantly manning that area with the intent of increasing out of state tickets AND inflating their fines (due to higher average over the limit numbers) is a speed trap and pretty crappy in my opinion. You can have yours but it is wrong. Lol

i was just hoping by showing I had done my research and was a responsible citizen I might get a warning. I didn't say I deserved it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    State troopers in OH will pull you over in a heartbeat (I don't exceed the posted speed limit by more than 4mph), but with respect to carrying, you're probably less likely to have problems with them than with the city police in Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati, etc.

In some of the more rural counties, I imagine you wouldn't have any problems at all (but watch your speed).

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Everyone knows there's a direct correlation - via PILES of highway traffic data - that conclusively proves causality between highway fatalities at 65mph vs 80mph. Haven't we learned anything by raising the interstate speed maximum from 55mph to 70mph? How many bodies does it take?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Everyone knows there's a direct correlation - via PILES of highway traffic data - that conclusively proves causality between highway fatalities at 65mph vs 80mph. Haven't we learned anything by raising the interstate speed maximum from 55mph to 70mph? How many bodies does it take?

BLOOD IN THE STREETS! LITERALLY!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have always and forever heard horror stories about how anally retentive / proactive / hardazzed / exceedingly diligent Ohio LE is about enforcing their speed limits. Many moons ago my father was stopped going 3 - 4 miles over the limit. It has always been common knowledge "thou shalt exceed the posted limit in Ohio at thine own risk." I guess that's how they want it.

I hit my cruise control and usually was 3 - 4 miles under the speed limit. This avoids LE interactions AND saves gas money. Two (2) for the price of what, a few minutes? (EDIT: Not preaching here, just the way I drive.)

I was just south of Cleveland yesterday in Brunswick picking up some stuff for a friend. Ended up going out to the pond on the way home and charging the mower battery. I wasn't carrying but did feel better having my pistol in the trunk for shooting out at the pond.

The thing that stuck out to me that was annoying was how much their darned speed limit seems to change. Maybe I just live in a bubble, but it seems in Indiana the highways have a mostly consistent speed limit. It is either 55, 60, 65, or 70. The only time it seems to change is when it gets a wee bit slower near a city, but that is it. It appear that in Ohio the speed limit would be 65 for a while, then jump up to 70, then down to 60, then back up again to 65. Do they have some special metric for population and speed limits? If so, I do hope Indiana does NOT follow suit.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the OPs (in)voluntary tax payment to Ohio. I am glad to hear the guy was nice on all other accounts.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom