• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I know this has been brought up before, but I just gotta vent. I just came from Wal-Mart and looking at their ammo selection. They have lots of EVERY conceivable caliber except .22. They have enough .223 to "choke a horse", but not one single round of .22. Man this is getting old!!:xmad: Maybe I should sell all my .22's and buy an AR? No shortage there. Okay now I feel better ;). No...my .22's are not for sale.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Anyone wanting to sell their .22 LR rifles and, since there's no ammo for 'em, I'm willing to 'take 'em off their hands' for a 'generous' $1 each! :laugh:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I simply oiled them up and put them in long term storage. One of the main reasons I shot .22 was cheap practice. When the cost is the same as shooting a real gun, I will shoot the real gun. Pistol caliber carbines are a good substitute and another cool addition to a collection. It will also share a caliber of ammo for a pistol you already own so win win. .22 shortage, I have just assumed it will be like this for a long time and quit shooting it. I still have plenty I purchased years ago, but I'm not shooting up my reserves when I can't replace them. It was still $6 for 550 rounds when I purchased my supply. Some day when supply catches up with demand and the hoarders decide they have enough to make it a week when SHTF, it will be more available and cheaper. At that time I will break out the old .22's and play with them again.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I simply oiled them up and put them in long term storage. One of the main reasons I shot .22 was cheap practice. When the cost is the same as shooting a real gun, I will shoot the real gun. Pistol caliber carbines are a good substitute and another cool addition to a collection. It will also share a caliber of ammo for a pistol you already own so win win. .22 shortage, I have just assumed it will be like this for a long time and quit shooting it. I still have plenty I purchased years ago, but I'm not shooting up my reserves when I can't replace them. It was still $6 for 550 rounds when I purchased my supply. Some day when supply catches up with demand and the hoarders decide they have enough to make it a week when SHTF, it will be more available and cheaper. At that time I will break out the old .22's and play with them again.

I like how you think. I believe I will spend more time with my .17HMR and get back in to muzzle loading. One day the .22 thing will clear up...one day?:)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can find .22lr online (and locally occasionally). I only buy online if my total cost keeps it under ten cents a round.

$50/brick?

This is a paradigm shift. I don't mean that as a criticism of you, level0...maybe that's the new normal and I'm not up to speed yet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you can find them, retail bricks are still $24-$28. $50 is retarded.

When I can ACTUALLY find said bricks, they are online in classifieds for $50+. :xmad: Or they are $30 new with $15 shipping.

I had one online ammo dealer send me an email a week or two ago. "we have 22LR!! NO LIMIT when you buy this case of .223 thats on sale..." and they were insanely priced. No wonder they were unlimited. :rolleyes:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Cabelas in hammond had winchester 222 rounds boxes for 14.99. So I used the 10% coupon they mailed me and bought a box for 13.50 :-) my dad got a box also. Of course their were peeps walkin off with several boxes even though you are allowed only one.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    .22 ammo can still be bought at the local level for only a few dollars more per brick than they were before this panic started. However, you will most likely have to put some effort into aquiring them. Try using one of the websites that track Walmart inventory. I have had good luck using BrassBadger.com. It is somewhet slow to update but is fairly accurate. I have found the most accuarate and up to date Walmart inventory info by using the Walmart Mobile website. The standard Walmart website is never right and practically useless. Once you find available ammo you will have to find out when that particular store sets their new ammo out, and you will have to be there when they do. Again, this does take some effort but you are most likely not going to be able to casually walk into a store and buy .22 ammo right off of the shelf for quite some time to come.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I just changed strategies. I put away the semi-auto's bought a Ruger American rimfire figuring a bolt gun would slow me down on using ammo. I found that it was quite capable of astounding accuracy at 100 yards when using premium standard velocity ammo. It's a bit more of a challenge since wind doping is critical but great practice.

Anyway, now I don't mind paying the extra cost for premium ammo which is more readily available and since it's a bolt gun and you have to take your time for good groups the actual cost for an afternoon of shooting is about the same, just less shots fired but more enjoyment and satisfaction for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    . That is true, but unless I'm mistaken they sold in less than 20 minutes once posted. I don't have the time nor inclination to sit and watch the INGO classifieds 24/7/365 so I can buy ammo.

Neither do I. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion.
    WE have managed to donate a few thousand rounds a year to youth groups and not touch reserves. Casually browsing will turn up ample supply's.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just changed strategies. I put away the semi-auto's bought a Ruger American rimfire figuring a bolt gun would slow me down on using ammo. I found that it was quite capable of astounding accuracy at 100 yards when using premium standard velocity ammo. It's a bit more of a challenge since wind doping is critical but great practice.

Anyway, now I don't mind paying the extra cost for premium ammo which is more readily available and since it's a bolt gun and you have to take your time for good groups the actual cost for an afternoon of shooting is about the same, just less shots fired but more enjoyment and satisfaction for me.

Same here.
    I put away the 10/22 and broke out the Winchester 1885 Low-Wall single-shot falling block action rifle.
    I find I have more fun with it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Same here.
    I put away the 10/22 and broke out the Winchester 1885 Low-Wall single-shot falling block action rifle.
    I find I have more fun with it.

Like you and slapstick I am REALLY going to slow things down with regard to ammo usage. I am getting back in to cap & ball muzzle-loading.None of the modern straight-line stuff. I always did enjoy the old coal burners. Placed my order for a Traditions Pennsylvania long rifle yesterday through Mid-Way USA.:D

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    If the big retailers would simply raise their prices to closer to actual market prices, a lot of this panic buying, rationing, reselling, hoarding, scrounging, etc would dissipate much more quickly. Ammo would be on the shelf and the prices would slowly get back to much more reasonable levels. When people go to walmart and see no .22 available at any price, it just feeds the mindset that there is a terrible shortage and they'd better grab any .22 they can find whether they plan to shoot it or not. I understand why they don't do this, since some people will get their feelings hurt if prices are raised (apparently empty shelves and rationing are less offensive) above what they paid when they were a teenager, but we'd all be better off. The prices and availability will eventually settle out, but it will be a longer process than necessary thanks to those with delicate feelings.

Top Bottom