Unreasonable to ask for signed bill of sale on private gun sale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have never sold a gun, so that is not an issue. I have given a few as gifts, but the people that i have given them to i know pretty well.
    As far as buying, i would never accept a gun without a receipt that clearly stated what i bought, who i bought it from, and when i took possession. No ifs and or buts about it.
    I had a rifle some time back that turned out to be stolen. I did not get a receipt for it and it was taken away from me and i was charged with a misdemeanor. $500 later for a lawyer and the charge was dropped. Turns out the rifle was stolen in Iowa in 1980. I was 5 years old in 1980 so it was kind of easy for the lawyer to explain. Either way, i do not want to go through that again.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Just curious...
    To all of you who won't do a transaction without a bill of sale, what is the worst thing that you're afraid of happening if you don't have one?
    Please don't say you're going to be imprisoned because your previously owned gun was used in a crime and you didn't get a signature from the buyer...

You frame a solid question.

Apparently they're so uncertain of the character of the person they're selling to that they don't trust that person not to do anything felonious, and thus want to help the police beyond a simple 'Sorry, officer, I sold that years ago. Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.'

Forget 4473s, from this thread alone the conclusion I am left with is that gun owners will be our own worst enemy if and when confiscation is attempted.

I have a better solution than even a bill of sale: if one is at all uncomfortable with this person to whom they're selling something formerly in one's name, how about just don't sell it to that person?

I wouldn't sell an arm to anyone whom I had any qualms about, whatsoever, whether my name was attached to that piece via a yellow slip of paper or not. Ethically speaking, I think some minimal screening does and would do far more than simply supposedly washing one's hands by having someone the seller isn't 100% comfortable with sign some bill of sale.

What, because Jimbo Manson signed Daffy Duck on a piece of notebook paper it means he's restrained from going out and murdering someone? What's to stop him from claiming he sold it when the police come to investigate him after the original owner rats out Daffy Duck?

Bills of sale are nothing more than stupid feel-good measures. They don't do one thing to stop powerful weapons from being in the wrong hands that simply looking someone over and up and down and having the spine to say 'No, I'm sorry, but I am just not going to sell this to you at any price' and waiting for the next legitimate proper buyer wouldn't do better.

Do we lawful gun owners want legal coverage? A simple 'I sold that a long time ago/recently' does just that. Do we want ethical coverage? Not selling to people we lawful gun owners don't trust does just that.

Just my :twocents:. Take that for what little it's worth.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I have Never asked for a signed B O S nor have I ever signed one. And I intend to keep it that way. I did not ever get the other party's name and didn't give them mine. Sometimes I'll ask for proof of Hoosiership if I don't know already or ask if they have an L T C H. Thus far no one has knocked on my door in an official capacity.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Just to muddy the waters a bit I have my FFL03, aka C&R License.

If I purchase a C&R qualified firearm I must, by law, record the sellers name and address. I believe it goes vice verse as well.

Most of the purchases I have made this has not been a problem, but would sellers generally be comfortable with this or not?

The vast majority of purchases I have made online have been with other C&R holders or businesses friendly to C&R's.

Regards,

Doug

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Just curious...
    To all of you who won't do a transaction without a bill of sale, what is the worst thing that you're afraid of happening if you don't have one?
    Please don't say you're going to be imprisoned because your previously owned gun was used in a crime and you didn't get a signature from the buyer...

For me it is more their willingness to sign one than the actual signing :)

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I still have bills of sale from firearms I sold over 4 years ago. If they don't want to sign they don't get to buy, simple as that. If they are scared of a paper trail then they are either not legally able to own one or extremely paranoid. Of course I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    You frame a solid question.

Apparently they're so uncertain of the character of the person they're selling to that they don't trust that person not to do anything felonious, and thus want to help the police beyond a simple 'Sorry, officer, I sold that years ago. Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.'

Forget 4473s, from this thread alone the conclusion I am left with is that gun owners will be our own worst enemy if and when confiscation is attempted.

I have a better solution than even a bill of sale: if one is at all uncomfortable with this person to whom they're selling something formerly in one's name, how about just don't sell it to that person?

I wouldn't sell an arm to anyone whom I had any qualms about, whatsoever, whether my name was attached to that piece via a yellow slip of paper or not. Ethically speaking, I think some minimal screening does and would do far more than simply supposedly washing one's hands by having someone the seller isn't 100% comfortable with sign some bill of sale.

What, because Jimbo Manson signed Daffy Duck on a piece of notebook paper it means he's restrained from going out and murdering someone? What's to stop him from claiming he sold it when the police come to investigate him after the original owner rats out Daffy Duck?

Bills of sale are nothing more than stupid feel-good measures. They don't do one thing to stop powerful weapons from being in the wrong hands that simply looking someone over and up and down and having the spine to say 'No, I'm sorry, but I am just not going to sell this to you at any price' and waiting for the next legitimate proper buyer wouldn't do better.

Do we lawful gun owners want legal coverage? A simple 'I sold that a long time ago/recently' does just that. Do we want ethical coverage? Not selling to people we lawful gun owners don't trust does just that.

Just my :twocents:. Take that for what little it's worth.
    and what proof would you have that you sold it long ago? a statement like that generally requires evidence to back it up.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always ask for ID and Indiana LTCH and have them sign two papers with my signature, the date, model of gun, serial, price and any added features (laser sight, etc.) I keep one copy and they get the other.

Good advice. I think I will do that from now on. And I will make sure to state upfront these are my conditions for the sale.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Most of the posts here make reference to legal issues in the future over long past transactions, as to the why of having a bill of sale.

Why not go all the way and have the sale done at your favorite FFL? Then all the records are logged elsewhere, there is no question of identity or legal possession, et al. As stated about a bill of sale, if this is disclosed up front, what would be the issue for the buyer or the seller??

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't begrude anyone asking for a BoS, but I'm more likely to look elsewhere if a BoS is a requirement for a person-to-person cash transaction.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This has been picked apart several times. I have seen several guns on here listed that I would have bought except they wanted a signed bill of sale, or to see my LTCH. The state does not require this and I think it is a concession to the gun grabbers when people do it. If that is how you feel then join with Obama and support the Manchin-Toomey bill. Have all sales done via a FFL. Have background checks done. Be serious about it.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    A bill of sale always seemed to me, to be a logical thing. Not from the BATFE, or gun law liability angle, but from pure business sense. When both the buyer and seller have signed copies of a transaction, there is proof of what transpired, who paid whom how much, for exactly what, in what condition. No argument. If someone later feels ripped off, the bill of sale is a good place to start.
    We do that for the sale of other valuable items which we sell or buy, right? Do those reasons go away when it's a firearm being exchanged? :dunno:

Top Bottom