Unsafe Handling at Gander Mountain (Castleton)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    One of the first things, if not the very first thing, you learn about handling a firearm is treat it as if its always loaded. Its amazing who you will see not taking this to heart and following that guideline to the T.

I was in the Castleton Gander Mountain yesterday looking for some 9mm ammo when I happened to take a look behind the gun counter. An employee working the gun counter was holding a handgun pointing it down the counter and dry firing, repeatedly. About 30ft down from him where he was aiming was another employee helping customers. It made me sick to see such negligence by someone that is supposed to routinely handle guns. That breeds poor habits. All it takes is a new gun owner to see that and think its ok, and now we have yet another tragic accident reported in the new about someone getting accidentally shot.

I tried to find a manager to make a complaint, but wasnt able to. So I made a quick remark to the employee about how it was not safe, and carried on with my business. Looking back, I should have been a bit more forward about making sure it doesnt happen again.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unsafe firearm practices are everywhere. I've found Gander Mountain to be among the worst, but most gun stores are unsafe as well. I mean, everthing is unloaded...right? You'll find plenty other threads here about weapon mishandling at GM and the like. It's really unfortunate, because I want to shop for gun supplies and not have a firearm pointed at me. Maybe if we all say something, things will change...

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    One of the first things, if not the very first thing, you learn about handling a firearm is treat it as if its always loaded. Its amazing who you will see not taking this to heart and following that guideline to the T.

I was in the Castleton Gander Mountain yesterday looking for some 9mm ammo when I happened to take a look behind the gun counter. An employee working the gun counter was holding a handgun pointing it down the counter and dry firing, repeatedly. About 30ft down from him where he was aiming was another employee helping customers. It made me sick to see such negligence by someone that is supposed to routinely handle guns. That breeds poor habits. All it takes is a new gun owner to see that and think its ok, and now we have yet another tragic accident reported in the new about someone getting accidentally shot.

I tried to find a manager to make a complaint, but wasnt able to. So I made a quick remark to the employee about how it was not safe, and carried on with my business. Looking back, I should have been a bit more forward about making sure it doesnt happen again.

Wait until you're at a gun show and see a red dot on your chest and realize it's a dealer demonstrating a laser to a customer. It's a good thing the wife was with me that day and held me back, had I been there alone I'd probably been thrown in jail for the scene I would have caused.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately I see a lot ignorance when it comes to firearm handling lgs, range, etc. The attitude around firearms is also troubling at times, I'm glad that a lot of people are taking the initiative of getting to know about self defense with a firearm but is necessary that everyone understands the responsibilities that this carry. Also very troubling about the people out there that claim being experts at training and offer classes and know very little about it, I try to learn as much as I can and to be as responsible as I can be.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    Wait until you're at a gun show and see a red dot on your chest and realize it's a dealer demonstrating a laser to a customer. It's a good thing the wife was with me that day and held me back, had I been there alone I'd probably been thrown in jail for the scene I would have caused.

Wow...pretty sure I would have caused a huge scene if that had been me...that is completely unacceptable not to mention highly dangerous.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Reminds me of the time I went to a range, and noticed someone with a nice looking shotgun. I asked what kind was it, and they proceeded to take it out of the bag and accidentally pointed it at me as they were handling it. I said "whoa man I don't want to know THAT bad!"

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The worst incident of poor gun handling I have ever seen was at a Bass Pro shop in Orlando, FL. Two employees, both mid twenties probably, behind the counter had an impromptu "gun fight" with a couple of the guns that were out of the case. I just shook my head and walked away. Looking back, I should have said something to a manager.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My favorite experience from Gander Mountain was a few years ago when I was looking into an M&P 15-22 pistol. One of the younger employees took the M&P 15-22P upper and plopped it on a M&P 15-22 rifle Lower, and tried to convince me that it was legal. I declined to hold that felony and left.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    My favorite experience from Gander Mountain was a few years ago when I was looking into an M&P 15-22 pistol. One of the younger employees took the M&P 15-22P upper and plopped it on a M&P 15-22 rifle Lower, and tried to convince me that it was legal. I declined to hold that felony and left.

I would have reported that to management and done everything I could to have him fired on the spot.

ryancantshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    The City
    Heh, I've experienced the same thing at the same store. Nice enough guys, and I can't say they didn't know their handguns, either. I learned a lot about several weapons talking with them.

...I also had a barrel pointed at me about a half dozen times from various employees. It's like they genuinely don't know any better.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    Heh, I've experienced the same thing at the same store. Nice enough guys, and I can't say they didn't know their handguns, either. I learned a lot about several weapons talking with them.

...I also had a barrel pointed at me about a half dozen times from various employees. It's like they genuinely don't know any better.

They do seem knowledgeable about what they are selling, but just lack common sense in many cases.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Maybe, just maybe, the clerk had already checked as to whether it was loaded or not. And to the OP, you have Never, Ever done an unsafe act with a weapon? Careful how you answer that.

Top Bottom