• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Going to the range is alright, but training classes let you do more than the typical range drills i believe. moving and shooting, drawing from the holster, moving in pairs, etc. Especially outdoor training classes. I'm starting from the bottom and working my way up to the moving in pairs and etc...I just like shooting guns, when it comes down to it. And if i'm learning while I'm shooting (yes every time you pick your gun up, you should learn something or however that goes) that's a Plus. Even if I had to pay extra to do out of the ordinary indoor gun range shooting.

I do admit I am kind of intimidated about the whole competition side, but looking at articles and videos everyday to get into it. The GSSF league at Indy Arms and the Carry League at Parabellum will probably be my first two competitions.

For what it's worth, the "Carry League" taught by Coach at Parabellum is not a competition. It's a series of sessions where participants shoot supervised drills and some scenarios.

You may be thinking of the "Carry Gun Matches." While it may seem less intimidating by description to someone who has never participated in a match, based on your message I think you would be better served (in addition to your GSSF shoots at Indy Arms) by Steel Challenge followed by USPSA or IDPA (or both) to get started.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    For what it's worth, the "Carry League" taught by Coach at Parabellum is not a competition. It's a series of sessions where participants shoot supervised drills and some scenarios.

You may be thinking of the "Carry Gun Matches." While it may seem less intimidating by description to someone who has never participated in a match, based on your message I think you would be better served (in addition to your GSSF shoots at Indy Arms) by Steel Challenge followed by USPSA or IDPA (or both) to get started.
    What?? Next you'll tell me we didn't run four Mozambique Drills the other night :laugh:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I think the Carry gun match is a great place to start as long as you have safe gun handling down. Best place I've found to teach me what I don't know. For instruction I think start with Gun Handling 101.. That should get someone up to speed enough to get in the Carry gun match.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member, [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy

Ok, thanks for the heads up! Kind of gotten em mixed up. I would like to try all 3 (carry league, carry gun matches, and gssf) eventually. Still getting mentally prepared for USPSA and IDPA (lots of YouTube and reading articles). Haven't read into Steel Challenge though, will get some info on that as well. Thanks!

Kind of slacking on EDC NEEDS:

My setup right now is

G23 w/ IWB Kydex Holster
    Kershaw blade
    J5 Tac Light (The highly rated Amazon light lol WORKS GREAT btw)
    Leather belt, but not as sturdy as it should be. planning on upgrading to Kore Essentials Trakline Belt

I still need to purchase another mag, belt, and mag carrier before signing up for the class.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom