• ...and so much more!
  • if you are waken in the night or come home to find someone in your house

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I would say you should make this a poll.
    If it was I suppose I would pick option 3.
    To explain a little, if I wake up and someone is in my house there is no question in my mind that me or my family is in danger.
    If I came home and there was someone in my house, there would be a very good chance that they have armed themselves. That would be a risk to big to take.
    If I came home and realized someone was in my house before entering I would call the police and obviously not enter.
    I would not run in to protect belongings by any means, but once we have become face to face I would not risk them getting the upper hand. My mind would be to eliminate the threat immediatly.
    Of course no matter what if they quickly turned tale and ran, they would be free to go and reported to the police. So my option #3 is mildly accurate.

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Wow, hard to answer. Waking up and finding someone in my house, or coming home and finding someone there, are different situations for me. Also would depend on whether or not it's just me (I live alone) or whether or not my kids are over visiting.

Shooting first and asking questions later is not an option I'd pick, most of the time. It depends on so many factors, though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I picked 3. Here's why. If I wake up and find someone in my home, that means there is always a chance they are planning to hurt my family. I will take out the threat with any means necessary. If that means the threat dies, so be it.
    If I pull into my driveway, and see someone is there, I'll call the police, and hope they do their job. But if I know for a fact my family is inside, then NOTHING will prevent me from going inside to protect them.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I chose 3. If someone enters a home KNOWING that it is occupied, or, at least, there is a probability it is, then that person is either to high to care about what may happen, or what harm they may have to do if confronted, or they are there to do harm in the first place. It's not my responsibility to figure out why they are there, it's my responsibility to protect myself and my family.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I opted for #3 but with qualifiers. If I'm coming home and it's obvious someone is in the house, I call for LEO's first. If I come home and walk in on an intruder, depends on THEIR reaction as to whether I shoot. If they high tail it out another direction, I secure and then call. If they come at me I defend. If I wake up and someone is in the house, defend period.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    If I come home and know someone is in the house, I call the police and make sure they don't come out. If I walk in on them, they're gonna get shot at least once.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I opted for #3 but with qualifiers. If I'm coming home and it's obvious someone is in the house, I call for LEO's first. If I come home and walk in on an intruder, depends on THEIR reaction as to whether I shoot. If they high tail it out another direction, I secure and then call. If they come at me I defend. If I wake up and someone is in the house, defend period.

+1 :yesway: If the taking of a life can be avoided, then I believe it should be a major consideration. However, if someone breaks into my home KNOWING it is occupied, I will then assume they are there to bring harm to myself or my family and I will protect myself, my loved ones and my property with everything available to me. I WILL NOT be another statistic and that recent case out east where the wife and daughters were raped, murdered and set fire to has been seared into my mind forever. I will not live the rest of my life second guessing myself after someone else has initiated the actions of consequences.
    Stay safe!

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    +1 :yesway: If the taking of a life can be avoided, then I believe it should be a major consideration. However, if someone breaks into my home KNOWING it is occupied, I will then assume they are there to bring harm to myself or my family and I will protect myself, my loved ones and my property with everything available to me. I WILL NOT be another statistic and that recent case out east where the wife and daughters were raped, murdered and set fire to has been seared into my mind forever. I will not live the rest of my life second guessing myself after someone else has initiated the actions of consequences.
    Stay safe!

Link? I would like to read this story, however unpleasant it might be.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    there should be an option to tell them to lay down face down where they stand then I go stand on them until the police get there, they don't leave unless some state official has them, don't care if its the sheriff or the ambulance they don't get to leave for free but I'm also not just going to start shooting,

about 5 weeks ago I had a teenager who was so high he didn't know where he was pull up in my drive and set up for the night. He was stupid not necessarily a threat, I would hate to kill someone because they were too stupid to know up from down but it would not be a moral issue if they were a threat. In the long run I felt sorry for him but he would have not faired well if he would have tried to break down the door.

Like most mature people we know there is not 1 or 10 answers to a situation like the one described.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Waking up at home is a different scenario then coming home and seeing them. If you wake up then they are an immediate danger so option 3 is more likely, but if you stumble on then when you enter the house that's when a lot of different variables come into play. But a safe answer would be to always draw your weapon to be safe.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm not answering...Option #3 is to vague and if(God forbid) this ever happened, I wouldn't want my vote backfiring in court.

I will say that if I felt my family or myself were in danger, I'd have no choice but to defend.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I think that it would be impossible for anyone that has any regard for human life to answer this posed question with the given details.

When I looked at the options (which the OP chose 3 excellent options for a poll) I had so many questions.

Where is the offender in relation to the entrance(s)/exit(s) of the home?

Where is the offender in relation to my other family members?

Does the offender have anything in his hands, on his person, or otherwise immediately accessible that could be used as a weapon?

Do I know the offender? (If so how?)

I know that it seems like those are way too many questions but, with proper training and mindset, all of the above questions with the exception of "How many?" can be answered with a quick scan of the area. For the "How many?" question, I usually use the 1+ rule. (If I see one offender, I assume there are at least two).

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Going by the poll...

If I were to be woken up by a stranger in my home, I would have the wife call the police while I secured the area we are in. If the intruder gets near where we are, I blast him. If he is already on his way out, I do what I can to stop him SAFELY, but would not shoot him if he were leaving, I would keep visual and give details to law enforcement as best as possible.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    In my house with me, Im shooting unless they are heading for the door. If their back is to me (Im not shooting someone in the back, unless they are an obvious threat) I will yell. I would want to see hands, and I would want them on the ground faster than physically possible. If I have to yell a second time, and they arent in motion, I am assuming they have the ability and the intent to do me harm.

If I come home to my house being obviously broken into, I am calling the police and positioning myself by the door. I dont want to put myself at risk, but I am also not keen on being robbed. If I know family is still in the house, I am shooting the first unfamiliar face I see.

If someone is attempting to get into my occupied house, I am yelling a warning and will make every effort to demonstrate that I am armed (short of shooting). If they continue, I am assuming they are intent on doing me harm.

If someone is on my property, or attempting to break into my unoccupied car or shed, I am confronting them armed and will yell for them to stop and get on the ground. If they dont comply, and they dont leave, I am assuming that I am now at risk. If they chose to run, I wont pursue them, and I wont shoot.

Lastly, occupied vehicle. If someone attempts to get in my occupied vehicle, I will shoot without hesitation. No warning. Cars are to small and to vulnerable to hesitate.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    If I'm alone, I get out and call police.
    If the family is there, I get everyone to a room, barricade and call police.
    If the intruder is leaving, I stay away and call police.
    Deadly force would only be used if the intruder left me no alternative.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    None of the above.

If I am awakened in the night by someone breaking in, my wife and I will arm ourselves, I will get to the top of the stairs and stand guard while my wife calls 911. If someone presents themselves at the bottom of the steps, I will shoot without warning. If you want to steal crap from downstairs, I don't care. If you try coming up to where my family is, I will stop you.

If I come home and it appears someone has broken in, I will call the cops and wait for them. If there are no signs of forced entry and I enter my home and find them there, I will draw and fire immediately. There is no time to figure out how they are going to respond to being caught.

Top Bottom