• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I assume the nitrogen is in a gas form right ?

:dunno: Isn't it also a explosive gas ?
    Are you asking if nitrogen is an explosive gas? I hope not because the air your breathe is ~79% nitrogen. The earth would've gone up in a big fireball a long time ago if it was explosive, or even flammable. Nitrogen is relatively inert.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Nitrogen only reacts in it's ionic form, which requires a signifigant amount of energy to split the diatomic molecule.

Else, the nitrogen ion is typically obtained in solution.

In a gas form (N2g), nitrogen is considered to be inert and is often used as a shielding gas for MIG welding.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Nitrogen only reacts in it's ionic form, which requires a signifigant amount of energy to split the diatomic molecule.

Else, the nitrogen ion is typically obtained in solution.

In a gas form (N2g), nitrogen is considered to be inert and is often used as a shielding gas for MIG welding.

....and too much will kill you!

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Its a bad deal for sure but lets put it into perspective,

Chernobyl was FAR worse at this point....

Here is what spooks me:

Iodine-131 has a half-life of eight days and is quite dangerous to human health. If absorbed through contaminated food, especially milk and milk products, it will accumulate in the thyroid and cause cancer.[/

Over the long term, the big threat to human health is cesium-137, which has a half-life of 30 years.

The alpha emitter plutonium is especially deadly. Plutonium 239 has a high half-life of around 24,000 years. Plutonium transforms into americium and enters the water table.

This is VERY nasty stuff, and is STILL being emmited.....I would wonder what the REAL exposure is. I would doubt it would affect the US in any real manner but the area around the reactors and the seafood etc. This will be impossible to track.

I still favor Nuclear Generation....just don't put your damn Emergency generators in the damn basement. That was STUPID!

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i dont believe what the japanese government tells the world. they seem to have something in their culture that makes them down play everything, and i think they are too worried about their image to admit that the problems are worse. remember these folks have historically been willing to die and send their people to die without hesitation.

those 50 guys there still working our heros though!

jake

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    FWIW, around the plant is FUBAR.(imho) Saw this and thought I'd make a phone call or send an email in the morning.

Last time I checked they were doubling the danger zone area and the they are having issues with people not wanting to eat any rice or local fish. I don't know the radiation levels, but based on the doubling of the evac area, the levels that are not safe involve a much larger area than first predicted.

Last time i looked at some more involved survey data, they had or would have 5,000 radiation monitoring sites. I'll see if that data is in english and see if they have generated some type of histograph of the radiation reading.

The other issue is power for the country. I read that it is still a serious issue and they are rotating plant shutdowns with some running on Sat and Sun They will have new peaking plants open by the end year to help deal with power issues, but the cost is very high to operate these electrical plants.

The "fix" for the nuke plants is a giant tent system to keep the rainwater and birds out of the damaged sites. That fix does nothing to contain radiation

I too have been very interested in the silence over this disaster in the last few weeks...........

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-nuke-plant-radiation-leak-exceeds-hiroshima-131930665.html

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It will be interesting to see if they are able to clean things up and how they do it. Somehow I don't think cleaning irradiated land is going to be an easy chore, and then comes the question, what do you do with all that contaminated soil?

Somehow I imagine the Pacific Ocean is going to be glowing in the dark in the not too distant future.

Top Bottom